DIY Waxing

Extremme

Thanks so much for the great advice guys, i just started waxing yesterday, will need more practice.

Anyways, would like to know why you dont use ceramic or glass coating, which is kind of the "IN" thing now. My reason is that it doesnt guarantee how long it can last and once u use it, u need to keep going back for touch ups probably every year, so i dont think i want that. 

What about you guys, care to share pros and cons and reasons for not going the easy way of ceramic coats?

Thanks!

It depends what you are looking for... for me I went with coating, lazy to wax and all I want is to keep the car clean. With coating, rain washes away more dirt and brake dust takes longer to become visible on the rims. Each time only need to do a normal car wash, no need to wash and dry, then wax and wipe off... too tiring

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

It depends what you are looking for... for me I went with coating, lazy to wax and all I want is to keep the car clean. With coating, rain washes away more dirt and brake dust takes longer to become visible on the rims. Each time only need to do a normal car wash, no need to wash and dry, then wax and wipe off... too tiring

Well it's true that coating makes it easier to wash and it's more durable! But wax does give the same effect for hydrophobicity as well. After all even with coating claying is still necessary after sometimes as it will still have contaminants!

If you use a durable wax don't really need to spray wax every wash maybe after 3 weeks then spray wax every 2 weeks!

i always have a pail of water inside my car, then i would steal some snake times to hide in a MSCP to have a quick wash and simple waxing (on certain part of the car) during the working hours.  :ninja:

any groups to join for car detailer on FB? 

Hi Bro,

Yes so as mentioned:

-Wash with a proper shampoo (I use meguair Hyperwash) but Meguairs gold class is fine as well!

-Claying with soap or quick detailers (I usually use soap) a small section at a time and rinse away. If you use a quick detailer just wipe it off with a clean microfibre cloth.

-Polishing unless you are experienced I suggest you don't do it. You can try of course with the proper tools! A Dual action polisher and Polishing compound. Remember to wipe down with IPA if you polish before applying wax.

-Apply sealant and/or wax as you prefer.

-Leave to cure and buff off

Normal maintenance will be just washing with shampoo.

If you think the hydrophobic effect or the wax is wearing off can use spray wax(I use fireball ultimate coating wax but meguair ultimate quik wax is fine too) or spray sealant like Sonax Brilliant shine I love it.

If you want something durable I say just go for Soft99 Fusso it's pretty durable!

Yes claying removes contaminant from the paint surface so it will be smooth. So yes it will reduce chances of getting scratches while applying wax. If you clay with enough lubricstion chances of marring is quite minimal. But you should need to clay every wash. Maybe only every time you wax say once every 3-4 months! Hope this helps.

Cheers

hi may i know what clay to use and do you discard it after claying or it can be reuse? Thanks.

Edited by Richardlim31

hi may i know what clay to use and do you discard it after claying or it can be reuse? Thanks.

Hi, clay can be found at autobacs use a less aggressive one first if your car is not very rough to the touch. It can be reused if the clay is not very dirty! Just ensure you use enough lubrivation when claying and if the clay bar drop on the floor do not reuse it! Alternatively can look at clay towel.

Thanks so much for the great advice guys, i just started waxing yesterday, will need more practice.

Anyways, would like to know why you dont use ceramic or glass coating, which is kind of the "IN" thing now. My reason is that it doesnt guarantee how long it can last and once u use it, u need to keep going back for touch ups probably every year, so i dont think i want that.

What about you guys, care to share pros and cons and reasons for not going the easy way of ceramic coats?

Thanks!

That's one reason I choose opticoat which do not require me to go back for touching up.

That's one reason I choose opticoat which do not require me to go back for touching up.

Whats opticoat? isit the same as ceramic coat?

I did look for maddriver but he told me that my car which is in milano red is not suitable to do opticoat......but i do enjoy cleaning and waxing the car myself....now very keen to learn about claying :)

I did look for maddriver but he told me that my car which is in milano red is not suitable to do opticoat......but i do enjoy cleaning and waxing the car myself....now very keen to learn about claying :)

Yo Bro Richard, it is due to that the Honda Milano red is a single stage paint and the coating was more for clearcoat surface. 

I wrote to Opti-Tech about it, they told me to try and that is why I dissuade you from doing..Save your $$$

Claying? your car is 80% sheltered in MSCP..haha I don't think you need to do so soon but I share with you how you know when to clay.

Wash your car, wipe dry and use a plastic bag (those little red colour type from market will do), place your hand in plastic and run down the surface. This will give u a feel for those imperfection and is time to clay..

• Praise 1

Yo Bro Richard, it is due to that the Honda Milano red is a single stage paint and the coating was more for clearcoat surface. 

I wrote to Opti-Tech about it, they told me to try and that is why I dissuade you from doing..Save your $$$

Claying? your car is 80% sheltered in MSCP..haha I don't think you need to do so soon but I share with you how you know when to clay.

Wash your car, wipe dry and use a plastic bag (those little red colour type from market will do), place your hand in plastic and run down the surface. This will give u a feel for those imperfection and is time to clay..

Thanks Benny always can count on you :)

• Praise 1

Just wanna to share with brothers here on how I repair the stone chip and touch up paint.

Last week while driving on the road following a truck carrying stone or sand and felt something dropped & fell onto the bonnet of my car.  On reaching home I checked and noticed a small stone chip cut onto my car bonnet (a half-size of a red bean) since my car is black color, the chip cut deep into the paint, a white dot is very obvious & visible.  I used the touch up paint on it but it turn out ugly. Then I Google to search for help and found this solution.

The method I use was:

1. I wash and clean dry my car

2. I use lacquar thinner to soften the touch up paint that I had done the other day

3. I use wet & dry 2000 grit sandpaper to smoothen the surface

4. I use Meguiar compund to rub on the affected part

5. I use Turtle wax to polish to shine again

Finally all done with satisfaction, although it may not be 100% percent perfect job but it is not so very obvious now and not easily visible unless I take a very closer look.  Caution: it has to be done very patiently, slow and with light hand otherwise it will rub deep into the paint especially using thinner and sandpaper.  Hope it may be useful to you.

On the other hand, while doing the research on internet, I found a product call CHIPEX Repair Kit (it come with touch up paint, solvent liquid and rubbing compund) and watching the demo on U tube which is very good and easy to use but can't find it in SG.

• Praise 1

Hmm maybe just my opinion, I beg to differ that it doesn't require touch up. Maybe not now but in a year or 2 from application it will surely show sign of wearing I believe. Even longer maybe 3 years. Thats when you require to redo again. I don't think anything is that permanent.

Hi Bro,

you can actually feel with touch when you need to clay. After washing your car and drying your car, lightly and i mean it gently stroke with your palm or even your fingers, when it feels rough thats when you need to clay. Especially if you park outdoor for a period of time, or park at industrial area with lotsa fallout and even paint shop with overspray. 

To learn how to clay can check out Ammo NYC on youtube you will get a good understanding.

I Guess i would say waxing takes passion to do it. And the use of wax will certainly show that you're a true connoisseur. The depth of the color wax can give is something i realise coating will never replicate. No doubt coating makes it very shiny and tons of wet look, it just lacks depth in the color. Thats why concours up till now still uses wax. 

At the end of the day, using wax or coating, its ultimately dependent on your expectation.  How much time and effort are you willing to put in how much you love your ride what kind of look you want to achieve. 

I hope everyone can make decision based on their needs and expectations and hopefully the advices on the forum will help with your decisions.

Cheers

• Praise 1

About 6 mths into my car, still doing weekly/fortnightly wash with Optimim No Rinse and Meguaors Quik Wax. So far so good. Given the chance would like to compare with someone who did some PPS. Seems just pure looks, only dark colours and especially black cars really pops. I dont think doing a PPS helps much aesthetically for light coloured cars.

What I found needed to be removed each time I wash are water spots maybe because I park in open carpark. I apply wipes with clean parts of cloth in increasing pressure to remove the spots.

For a week of rain, beading is excellent after application of the wax. After a week beading is very much reduced, as in bead size increases some 5 to 10 times with more irregular clusters rather than round beads.

Any tips welcomed.

Edited by Rachdanom
  • Praise 1

About 6 mths into my car, still doing weekly/fortnightly wash with Optimim No Rinse and Meguaors Quik Wax. So far so good. Given the chance would like to compare with someone who did some PPS. Seems just pure looks, only dark colours and especially black cars really pops. I dont think doing a PPS helps much aesthetically for light coloured cars.

What I found needed to be removed each time I wash are water spots maybe because I park in open carpark. I apply wipes with clean parts of cloth in increasing pressure to remove the spots.

For a week of rain, beading is excellent after application of the wax. After a week beading is very much reduced, as in bead size increases some 5 to 10 times with more irregular clusters rather than round beads.

Any tips welcomed.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=76435