Recommendation of Used Car

Dear Bros,

I am looking for a used car for my son who will be going to NTU later this year as I need to keep my promise to him for getting into a local university.

My budget is about $20K to $25K. So far I have been sourcing on sgcarmart and looking at 2006 to 2007 on the following models:

1) Hyundai Getz

2) Hyundai Verna

3) KIA Rio

Is there any other good recommendation?

Thanks in Advance for your kind advise!

Edited by 7007
↡ Advertisement

Dear Bros,

I am looking for a used car for my son who will be going to NTU later this year as I need to keep my promise to him for getting into a local university.

My budget is about $20K to $25K. So far I have been sourcing on sgcarmart and looking at 2006 to 2007 on the following models:

1) Hyundai Getz

2) Hyundai Verna

3) KIA Rio

in Singapore sourcing used car not difficult, the difficult is how to find honest car dealer, most car dealer is greedy, because it doesn't like other business, they don't expect returned customer, chop you once enough [grin]

anyway your $$ amount is not big, not much margin on price, just beware of the car doesn't have major problem, such as timing belt, air compressor, gearbox, suspecsion, drive shaft etc, any of above items got problem, you have to invest hundreds to thousands.

just my 2 cents

I just graduated from NTU. My advice is to not get the car for your son. It is no longer that difficult to get into NTU, the difficult thing now is to graduate with a good degree class. I have had friends with cars back in NTU and the car is mainly the reason that most end up at the bottom end of the academic bell curve. Your son is likely to spend less time in his studies. Just my 2 cents worth.

Edited by txsics
  • Praise 4

Dear Bros,

1) Hyundai Getz

2) Hyundai Verna

3) KIA Rio

Which ever choice.. since price/repair costs about the same. Imptly is which car ur kid most comfy/confident in... imo getz weight too light for my style of turning corners..

Edited by SuPerBoRed

I just graduated from NTU. My advice is to not get the car for your son. It is no longer that difficult to get into NTU, the difficult thing now is to graduate with a good degree class. I have had friends with cars back in NTU and the car is mainly the reason that most end up at the bottom end of the academic bell curve. Your son is likely to spend less time in his studies. Just my 2 cents worth.

Wow, at that age, I'm not sure whether something like a car could actually affect someone results. I'm sure most uni students a mature enough to be able to prioritize what is more important then being a primary sch kid that got distracted by a psp or something.

I sense sour grapes!

I sense sour grapes!

LOL.. Indeed a little bit sour.. i came from a not too well of family but being the only son, i too was "rewarded" with a tiny picanto being the best my parents could afford back then. Then comes all the late night supper trips with friends when i was suppose to be studying resulting in terrible grades in my first year. Lets talk about it rationally, it is what i have observed when i was studying. I think rewards can come in many forms. Even treating him to a euro trip would be more beneficial.

LOL.. Indeed a little bit sour.. i came from a not too well of family but being the only son, i too was "rewarded" with a tiny picanto being the best my parents could afford back then. Then comes all the late night supper trips with friends when i was suppose to be studying resulting in terrible grades in my first year. Lets talk about it rationally, it is what i have observed when i was studying. I think rewards can come in many forms. Even treating him to a euro trip would be more beneficial.

A car is still a car.

I think it's about knowing what your goals are and working towards them.

To a lot of people, getting into NUS or NTU is like striking $1 million or getting a place in place. You can say I am sour grape or loser but in my business for 20 years, those earning S$100,000 a month or S$10 million at one shot are all businessmen with sec 2 education at best. If they got a diploma its considered a big F already. But in the real world, I am still amazed at why people are asking other people which uni or degree they grad or have. Those scholar classmates that I have are still taking public transport or complaining about having to find $100k to pay for a new Mercs or slogging hard to pay for an EC with two income while those ITE ah bengs I used to loiter with own more than 10 properties and have no problems spending S$10k in night-clubs or buying a few mercs for their family members without loans.

You can criticize my comment but you cannot ignore fact and I am open to your feedback

• Dislike 1

$20K to $25K for car between 06 and 07? Seems like you can only buy the 3 car models you have mentioned?! I would pick Hyundai Verna. Sedan is still better than hatch.

Dear Bros,

1) Hyundai Getz

2) Hyundai Verna

3) KIA Rio

You're a nice dad. Thumbs up. But I think you made a calculated decision, perhaps he wanted to go overseas after he finished NS? So to encourage him to stay, you dangled the car carrot? :)

Why don't you let your boy do his own homework with the budget you have set for him, let him choose some cars he fancies, and then you can decide which car to write out a cheque for?

↡ Advertisement