More shops staying open during Chinese New Year

Darthrevan

ST_20140131_CKCNY25_4010841e.jpg
Coffee shop operator Kelvin Ling of 128 Choices Eating House at Toa Payoh Lorong 1 will keep his eateries open over the festive period to attract people who will be visiting their relatives nearby.

Chinese New Year is typically a time for shop owners and their staff to rest, but some businesses will remain open as they see this as a perfect opportunity to reap profits.
Supermarket chains, coffee shops and even foodcourts have chosen to stay open in recent years, with many citing increases in daily takings of up to 30 per cent, compared with an average day.
Even 12 out of the 18 malls along the Orchard Road shopping belt will remain open this year, said the Orchard Road Business Association (Orba). They include Ion Orchard, Orchard Central, Paragon, Wisma Atria and The Centrepoint.
Coffee shop operator Kelvin Ling, 35, said he noted a 50 per cent increase in patronage over the Chinese New Year holiday period last year at his two coffee shops. He runs 128 Choices Eating House at Toa Payoh Lorong 1 and HG 106 Food Place at Hougang Avenue 1.
↡ Advertisement

With the huge influx of immigrants, businesses now can stay open for CNY.

Many many years ago, I remembered Singapore is like a dead town during CNY period.

Turbocharged

Even 12 out of the 18 malls along the Orchard Road shopping belt will remain open this year, said the Orchard Road Business Association (Orba). They include Ion Orchard, Orchard Central, Paragon, Wisma Atria and The Centrepoint.

oh i thought Orchard shopping malls stay open throughout the year?

which malls close for CNY?

Sent my car for wash at Cowtax last night, no foam machine just splish splash with soapy water, rinse off with power jet and dried rather hurriedly. Paid $9, extra $2 compared to normal days

Supercharged

yup, I made a call to Sq 2 novena to ask which food outlet open today. surprisingly, old hong kong, old town and popeye is open.

ya kun also open today

Sent my car for wash at Cowtax last night, no foam machine just splish splash with soapy water, rinse off with power jet and dried rather hurriedly. Paid $9, extra $2 compared to normal days

then me luckier, paid $8.

Isn't it ironic that shop stays open, yet charge extra ( 100%+ profits margin ) for a simple cuppa.

especially car owner and motorist, so long as its a car wash, thy up prices so are JB car wash -;(

Supercharged

Isn't it ironic that shop stays open, yet charge extra ( 100%+ profits margin ) for a simple cuppa.

especially car owner and motorist, so long as its a car wash, thy up prices so are JB car wash -;(

workers need to be paid extra on holidays mah.... if not, who wants to work? kena MOM complained.....

workers need to be paid extra on holidays mah.... if not, who wants to work? kena MOM complained.....

Other people no need bonus mah...only they themselves poor thing if they don't get bonuses.