Elderly man unconscious after being hit by SMRT train @ Expo

Darthrevan

Ah lau climb gate, then can go to track

But how the hell ah lau manage to climb that low wall?!?!?!?

No need to climb. At both ends of the station there's a locked gate/door leading to the tracks. Looks like someone forgot to lock the gate. Aiya, they will call it a lapse in security instead of negligence. Whoever on duty will kenna extra.

↡ Advertisement

Should check the CCTV to ascertain how the old man got over the fence & onto the track.

Hope he is okay

why must he climb over the door when he can jolly well walk to the front of the platform, open the door which is not lock, walk down to the track!

ok, upper ground platform likt CCK, Gombak, Batok all the way to redhill i know open la, eastern side platform i not sure bcos i don live there.....

• Praise 1

No need to climb. At both ends of the station there's a locked gate/door leading to the tracks. Looks like someone forgot to lock the gate. Aiya, they will call it a lapse in security instead of negligence. Whoever on duty will kenna extra.

Now then I know got special gate [grin]

Wa lao eh! Maybe he waited for the train until sibeh dulan pek chek?

Jokes aside.....

Me as a NS man can't even climb the SOC (low wall) and yet this ah pek can climb over the auto sliding door?

Let me guess..... Hmmmm.... Maybe SMRT fault again? They forgot to close the sliding gate before allowing the train to move off?

The next report will say the man had a history of mental problem.

Although this seems to be the style now, but the sad thing is that they could unfortunately be correct on this case.

Maybe old man felt lonely and no family visit him during CNY. [shocked]

If 1 is already depressed & more so on such reasons, holidays/festive period tend to exacerbate these emotions.

iirc, to be classified as suicide, there must be suicide note. With no note, only the cause of death would be reported. Eg,

a) Rams a car into a tree. Unless theres a note, it will be.....man loss control of vehicle which smashed into a tree. He succumbed to his injuries x hrs later at hosp and/or he was pronounced dead at the scene

b) Death by overdose, if no note, it would be deemed/reported as ......poisoning.....

c) Death by tracks, if no note, it would be deemed/reported as ......man falls onto tracks.....

d) Death by drowning, if no note, it would be deemed/reported as.....body found floating at the x river. Upon retrieving, pronounced dead.....

Edited by Baal
  • Praise 1

nsimrt51214e.jpg
An old man in his 70s suffered lacerations after being involved in a MRT track accident. The elderly man who was conveyed to hospital after he was found near the MRT tracks between Tanah Merah and Expo stations on Saturday, Feb 1, 2014, was not hit by a train, further police investigations have established.

Elderly man found injured at Expo MRT station was not hit by a train, police clarifies
The elderly man who was conveyed to hospital after he was found near the MRT tracks between Tanah Merah and Expo stations on Saturday, was not hit by a train, further police investigations have established.
In a revised statement issued to The Straits Times on Saturday night, a police spokesman said upon arrival, officers found the victim "lying on the outer side of the track, in the direction of Expo MRT station".
SMRT also confirmed that the man was not hit and the "train heading in that direction was stopped, in accordance with operating procedures and the man duly moved to safety".
The victim, said to be in his 70s, remains unconscious. The police said he suffered injuries to the head, and the Singapore Civil Defence Force found multiple cuts on his body.

• Praise 1

Lucky old man never go vivo city and jump over the 2nd floor railing to the ground floor below.

Otherwise some dumb fark will ask why vivo mgt no install safety net at every level to prevent accidents...

• Praise 1

nsimrt51214e.jpg

An old man in his 70s suffered lacerations after being involved in a MRT track accident. The elderly man who was conveyed to hospital after he was found near the MRT tracks between Tanah Merah and Expo stations on Saturday, Feb 1, 2014, was not hit by a train, further police investigations have established.

Elderly man found injured at Expo MRT station was not hit by a train, police clarifies
The elderly man who was conveyed to hospital after he was found near the MRT tracks between Tanah Merah and Expo stations on Saturday, was not hit by a train, further police investigations have established.
In a revised statement issued to The Straits Times on Saturday night, a police spokesman said upon arrival, officers found the victim "lying on the outer side of the track, in the direction of Expo MRT station".
SMRT also confirmed that the man was not hit and the "train heading in that direction was stopped, in accordance with operating procedures and the man duly moved to safety".
The victim, said to be in his 70s, remains unconscious. The police said he suffered injuries to the head, and the Singapore Civil Defence Force found multiple cuts on his body.

Hahahaha.. thanks bros... think I was carried away in the wee early hours when I read the first news...

so now this second piece contradicts the first one? journalists are shooting off at the belt without asking questions, or failed to verify the facts before reporting... either way, I don't touch ST for facts,,,,

So if not hit by train..with head injuries. Body lacerations can travel so far from station...... or he walked n walked n fainted..during the fall hurt his head n body.... in any case w 154,,, guess it would b tuff to know wat really happened.

Hahahaha.. thanks bros... think I was carried away in the wee early hours when I read the first news...

so now this second piece contradicts the first one? journalists are shooting off at the belt without asking questions, or failed to verify the facts before reporting... either way, I don't touch ST for facts,,,,

Wat u said earlier, is not unfounded. those techniques have been mentioned in textbooks in regds to mass communication.

• Praise 1

to be fair, expo is quite deserted during non exhibition day... it is first day of CNY, dont think there are many inside the station...it will be different story if someone notice the old man before he walk down the track...

• Praise 1

to be fair, expo is quite deserted during non exhibition day... it is first day of CNY, dont think there are many inside the station...it will be different story if someone notice the old man before he walk down the track...

But it sad that an old man decides to go in this way on CNY some more... takes a lot of courage to face an oncoming train.... must be damn terrible the impact to make him to go down the tracks...

• Praise 1

Lucky old man never go vivo city and jump over the 2nd floor railing to the ground floor below.

Otherwise some dumb fark will ask why vivo mgt no install safety net at every level to prevent accidents...

It is exactly this sort of dumbfark Singaporeans that created the safety net below the RainDrop display at Changi Airport Terminal One; they fear parts of the display will drop on someone walking beneath. Ironically, the net allowed the crazy woman access to the copper rain drops where she subsequently damaged the entire display LOL! Stupid farks.

Edited by Porker
  • Praise 1

It is human nature to jump to conclusions when presented with a particular scenario due to certain preconceptions of the mind, and nobody is immuned to that. Except that the 154 is supposed to be credible and report all the right things [lipsrsealed]

• Praise 2

It is human nature to jump to conclusions when presented with a particular scenario due to certain preconceptions of the mind, and nobody is immuned to that. Except that the 154 is supposed to be credible and report all the right things [lipsrsealed]

Why is everyone blaming the papers? They reported what the police spokesperson told them....

A police spokesman said a call was received at 1.43pm, requesting for assistance at the station. "Upon police's arrival, it was established that a train had hit a man along the MRT tracks heading towards Expo MRT station," added the police.

Don't you think that if anyone is to blame, it should be the police? You can't expect the newspaper to carry out an independent investigation.

• Praise 1

Why is everyone blaming the papers? They reported what the police spokesperson told them....

Don't you think that if anyone is to blame, it should be the police? You can't expect the newspaper to carry out an independent investigation.

I didn't blame the papers, I was just being sarcastic. Like someone claiming to be whiter than white but actually tainted with yellow.

You should read it with jest.

" it was established that a train had hit a man along the MRT tracks heading towards Expo MRT station," added the police."

why can't the shit times just write that he is a jumper? Esp with screen doors at the platform? Why must write so many useless words to confuse the reader? Too embarrassed that the platform screen doors not working to keep people from suicide? From day 1 I knew the doors were too low... like a low wall thats easy to climb over if u really want to.. if SMRT really want to prevent suicide, go for 3M high wall la... cant scale over wat... wayang only, SMRt and shit times...

You must know, shittytimes is teaching us how to use different words to explain a similiar incident.

You not sick of it, they also sick of it by saying "jumping off the tracks" all the time.

Later say we sinkies complain they always use the same old words.

I realised my Engar-ish improved a lot, flooding can also be called ponding.

Maybe SMRT's PR team used those words in their press release.

Mata's PR team just copy wholesale, don't bother to waste time editing since it makes no difference anyway.

Shitty times re-printed everything wholesale, in case SMRT jumps in and say they are misquoted when the public quotes them on certain phrases.

Edited by Bystander50
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1