Elderly man unconscious after being hit by SMRT train @ Expo

Darthrevan

Perhaps because it hasn't been established that he is a jumper?

Maybe all they know right now is that he was hit, not how he came to be on the tracks in the first place? And at that age, to get past the barrier / screen doors must be a real mission, so there might be more to the story and ST is only reporting what they know as facts as of the current time?

" it was established that a train had hit a man along the MRT tracks heading towards Expo MRT station," added the police."

why can't the shit times just write that he is a jumper? Esp with screen doors at the platform? Why must write so many useless words to confuse the reader? Too embarrassed that the platform screen doors not working to keep people from suicide? From day 1 I knew the doors were too low... like a low wall thats easy to climb over if u really want to.. if SMRT really want to prevent suicide, go for 3M high wall la... cant scale over wat... wayang only, SMRt and shit times...

Although this seems to be the style now, but the sad thing is that they could unfortunately be correct on this case.

If 1 is already depressed & more so on such reasons, holidays/festive period tend to exacerbate these emotions.

iirc, to be classified as suicide, there must be suicide note. With no note, only the cause of death would be reported. Eg,

a) Rams a car into a tree. Unless theres a note, it will be.....man loss control of vehicle which smashed into a tree. He succumbed to his injuries x hrs later at hosp and/or he was pronounced dead at the scene

b) Death by overdose, if no note, it would be deemed/reported as ......poisoning.....

c) Death by tracks, if no note, it would be deemed/reported as ......man falls onto tracks.....

d) Death by drowning, if no note, it would be deemed/reported as.....body found floating at the x river. Upon retrieving, pronounced dead.....

Hmmm.....

I'm not in a position to know, but that sounds incorrect.

Whether or not it is suicide is a big deal to an insurance company. For life insurance they don't pay out for suicides within either 12 or 24 months of taking out the policy.

If what you say is true, there is nothing to stop me from taking out a $10million policy today, then offing myself tomorrow, not leaving a note, and my widow can collect on the policy.

One thing is known about suicide is that it is often the "easy" methods that are used - the more effort it takes, the less suicides there are.

It might sound strange, but a lot of studies have found that if you remove the highly visible means of suicide it can reduce the suicide rate, even if other, equally "easy" ways are available.

For instance, many times people will drive across many bridges to commit suicide on the Golden Gate Bridge.

So while it might seem strange, the screen doors on the MRT, may well have a noticable deterrent effect on suicide.

There is no 100% way to stop people if they want suicide. They will find a way.
The glass doors are to prevent accidents and must also allow emergency personnel to jump over if ever needed too.

If suicide Folks can't jump mrt, they can easily go Jump bus Lane jump HDB jump reservoir jump sea are we going to blame lta hdb pub env etc for not installing more screen doors??

Criticism must be fair la.

↡ Advertisement