Cancer cases on the rise in Singapore

Darthrevan

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/not-starting-smoking-best-prevention-lung-cancer-071526293.html

Not starting smoking is the best prevention against lung cancer

Lung cancer is one of the deadliest cancers worldwide. In Singapore, lung cancer had the highest mortality rate among males (3,809 deaths) in 2010-2014 and the second-highest rate, behind breast cancer, among females (1,912 deaths), according to the National Registry of Diseases Office.

There are three main reasons for lung cancer’s high mortality rate, according to Dr Toh Chee Keong, Senior Consultant in the National Cancer Centre Singapore’s Division of Medical Oncology. Said Dr Toh, “Firstly, most lung cancers – about 70 per cent – present with advanced stage disease. Secondly, of the lung cancers diagnosed at an early stage which have undergone surgery, about 20 to 30 per cent relapse. Lastly, the survival of advanced stage 4 lung cancer has improved with newer treatment/medications but, on the whole, it is not good enough yet.”

Causes and risk factors of lung cancer

Lung cancer, which occurs when abnormal cells grow uncontrollably in one or both lungs, can take years to develop. It typically affects individuals over the age of 40.

Tobacco smoking is the main cause of lung cancer. Your risk of developing lung cancer rises with the number of years and cigarettes you smoke. However, if you stop smoking, your risk decreases after some time. For example a year after quitting, your risk of smoking-related heart attack is reduced by 50 per cent.

Non-smokers who are regularly exposed to second-hand smoke are also at risk of developing lung cancer.

“Not starting smoking is the best prevention against lung cancer,” says Dr Toh. But he adds, “There are still unknown risk factors, as a significant proportion of our lung cancer patients do not smoke.”

Other risk factors include:

• Family history of lung cancer
  • Exposure to chemicals, e.g. asbestos, chromium, nickel, arsenic, vinyl chloride
  • Exposure to coal products, radon gas and mustard gas

Symptoms of lung cancer

In its early stages, lung cancer typically doesn’t have any symptoms. When symptoms do appear, the cancer is likely to be at an advanced stage. Some common lung cancer symptoms include:

• Persistent cough
  • Blood in phlegm
  • Hoarse voice
  • Shortness of breath, wheezing
  • Bone pain
  • Poor appetite
  • Unexplained weight loss
  • Headache

How is lung cancer treated?

There are two general types of lung cancer – small cell lung cancer (occurs in heavy smokers and is less common) and non-small cell lung cancer. Treatment is based on the type and stage of lung cancer and your overall health. It usually consists of a combination of surgery, chemotherapy and radiotherapy.

In some cases, targeted therapy, which involves newer drugs that target specific abnormalities in cancer cells, may be recommended.

• Praise 1

someone close, died of cancer not too long ago.

they suspect, she worked as a cashier in vehicle inspection centre - all those smoke.

Sorry to hear abt that, it must have been sad.

I read through all pages in this thread but no one wrote about stem cells therapy so I would like to share with you guys.

Let's say you are a perfect 100 % person. 1 (health) 0 (riches) 0 (reputation) where I think health is being the most important of all.

But when one lost their health, one is left with zero only. Worst still, 2 zeros.

So, when a person loses his/her health, the only thing that this person wants most is "HEALTH"!

To fast forward, to ill means your body is not functioning well as the stem cells in your body is sleeping / not working anymore.

Why do doctors tell us to excercise more? Most people would answer that it is to keep us healthy. But why some people excercise quite often ending up having critical illness? So, can really excercise make you healthy and ill-free?

The answer is you need good and vibrant stem cells in your body.

20th Century : Pharmaceutical drugs to treat diseases / illness.

21st Century : The era of stem cell therapy!!!

Google for your own sake and for your love ones! Wikipedia is more than enough for you to read.

P/S: Please ignore if you think this is nonsense and I apologise if I have offended anyone in this thread.

• Praise 3

Over the weekend, learnt of the news of my aunty, my mother's sister. Apparently, she was given 6 months to live only.

She had breast cancer, a tumor in her breast but she ignored it. Till one day it burst and bled then see doctor. They found out that it was cancerous and had spread to her bones also. Did one round of chemo. But still no use. Now the cancer has spread to her brain and bone marrow!!!

Now going thru 2nd round of chemo.

Wanted to visit her but my cousin who is taking care of her say she is not well and doesnt want any visitors.

Remember, early detection, early cure!!! Wait till too late, no one can help.

somehow, the doc also will ask to defer the analyst after 6 months as some lumps are just not cancerous.

From what the doc mention 70% of lumps are just lumps and is normal.

I have frens who does yearly medical check and came away worried but found to be lumps only. 

Edited by Sdf4786k

High heated Palm oil are carcinogenic. Think almost all our hawker food uses palm oil and cooked in super high heat.  [laugh]

But seriously, those who eat outside more often, like myself, should cnsider proportion more of our meals for home cooked, with less heat, use less but high quality/smoking temp oil.

http://www.asiaone.com/health/nutella-maker-ferrero-stays-silent-new-recipe

Nutella maker Ferrero stays silent on 'new recipe'

Globally beloved Nutella has been around since 1963 when Italian brand Ferrero introduced the hazelnut cocoa spread as an alternative to melting chocolate during World War II.

A report by the European Food Safety Authority earlier this year, however, claimed that the processed palm oil in Nutella is carcinogenic.

Government and civic groups said that when Nutella is heated above 200 degrees Celsius, the cancer risk from palm oil becomes alarmingly high and pushed for the exclusion of the carcinogenic ingredient from production.
Amid the carcinogenic ingredient controversy, Ferrero ignored global concerns and kept the original Nutella recipe, which accounts for one-fifth of the company's total sales.

Recent developments on Nutella's new recipe, however, came to light from the Hamburg Consumer Center in Germany.

According to researchers, they reported the following changes in the recipe: an increase in the amount of skim milk from 7.5 to 8.7 per cent, a lighter colour, reduction of cacao concentration and increase in sugar concentration from 55.9 to 56.3 per cent.

Many media outlets have requested Ferrero to confirm the reports of the change in Nutella's recipe, but Ferrero remained silent about its "secret ingredient." The Italian brand only confirmed making "slight adjustments."

High heated Palm oil are carcinogenic. Think almost all our hawker food uses palm oil and cooked in super high heat. [laugh]

But seriously, those who eat outside more often, like myself, should cnsider proportion more of our meals for home cooked, with less heat, use less but high quality/smoking temp oil.

http://www.asiaone.com/health/nutella-maker-ferrero-stays-silent-new-recipe

Thanks.

https://www.runnersworld.com/ironman/ironman-after-cancer?utm_content=2018-01-24&utm_campaign=Rundown&utm_source=runnersworld.com&utm_medium=newsletter&smartcode=YN_0025954157_0001652692&sha1hashlower=b34acbbb488cc17027bbba911594dd01a6509a6f&md5hash=05b203cb4debf674b893ce980c0c7fa8

This Woman Completed Her First Ironman at Age 60 After Beating Cancer Mary Houbolt says she’s a poor swimmer and a mediocre runner. But after surviving cancer, she knew she had the inner strength to complete a triathlon.

ByStephanie Booth for Prevention WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 24, 2018, 8:56 AM

9de355a7837fb5faad33365d1c72b969.jpg?ito
PHOTOGRAPH COURTESY OF MARY HOUBALT

In the winter of 1989, when Mary Houbolt was 32, she found a lump in her breast. Tests revealed it was malignant and the cancer had spread to her lymph nodes. Mary’s chances of survival were bleak.

Hearing that diagnosis, she remembers, was “life-shattering.”

“It wasn’t just fear about losing my own life,” says the software engineer, “but leaving the lives of my children [then 4 and 6 years old] and husband in the lurch.” Against the odds, Mary’s breast cancer went into full remission after aggressive treatment. But she never forgot just how close she’d come to dying.

Mike Bigogno was told he had a 10% chance to live:

In 2010, the year Mary was to turn 60, she decided to do something “monumental” to celebrate surviving cancer. The idea she settled on: competing in an Ironman. She had no expectation to win the famously grueling endurance race that combines a 2.4-mile swim, 112-mile bike ride, and 26.2-mile run. But she was still alive, so why not try?

ca8555b8d8d8052336b8d1a90b2604e0.jpg

The cycling leg didn’t intimidate Mary; she was already hooked on biking outside. But she wasn’t so confident about the other parts of the race. She hadn’t done any swimming except for lessons as a child, and although she’d been running for stress-relief for years—including during her cancer treatment—“I’m a mediocre runner,” she admits. “It bothers my hips and knees.” Still, what Mary felt she lacked in physical skill, she made up for with determination. “I’m a Type A person and very driven,” she says.

As she began training, Mary was surprised how much she enjoyed the 7-day-a-week commitment to exercise. She relished spending time outside and paying close attention to the food she ate and how it affected her performance. On days when she struggled through drills, “I reminded myself how fortunate I was to still be around to try,” she says.

RELATED: 10 Things I Learned From Racing an Ironman

After 14 months of training, Mary was ready for the Ironman Lake Placid. The mass swim it began with early threw her off her game. “I was kicked and knocked and punched in the water. It was like being in a washing machine,” she says.

Next came biking, followed by the marathon. Struggling and exhausted, Mary’s intention was simply to finish. Instead, she ended up winning her age group. Two months later, she headed to the Ironman World Championship in Hawaii.

RELATED: This Former Marine Went From Battling Addiction to Racing the Ironman World Championship

“I was not prepared mentally,” Mary remembers. “There I was, up against the best athletes in the world.” Still, despite the humidity, high temperatures, and an open sea swim she describes as “terrifying,” Mary came in third.

One triathlon’s enough for most people. Mary had a different take. “I thought, ‘Maybe I’ll keep trying,’” she says.

In the past seven years, Mary has competed in 9 Ironman competitions and over 20 other triathlons. She’s also raced across the country as part of a four-woman team for Race Across America (RAAM), one of the most respected and longest-running ultra-endurance bicycling events in the world. During it, racers must cycle 3,000 miles across 12 states traversing roughly 170,000 vertical feet. Despite high wind gusts, temperatures that reached 120 degrees, and riding on the sides of highways—sometimes in the dead of night—Mary and her team finished in 7 days and 11 hours, setting a record for women between the ages of 60-69.

IMG_5886.jpg

The number of hours Mary spends preparing for the next triathlon can be overwhelming, she acknowledges. Social invitations and house chores are often sacrificed to give her enough time to train. (She jokingly calls her neglected front lawn a “triathlon yard.”) Mary’s also had to contend with a variety of physical injuries, most recently a fractured pelvis. But the benefits far outweigh any pain and inconvenience.

RELATED: Death-Defying Runner Finishes Ironman

“I get so much personal satisfaction from competing against myself,” explains Mary.

Her family seems to agree: Mary’s younger daughter, Whitney, 32, now also competes in Ironman races, and Tucker, her husband of 36 years, is doing his first one this year. Mary’s older daughter, Lia, 34, is also active, though she prefers hula hooping and slacklining to triathlons.

Mary just turned 67, but she won’t be slowing down anytime soon. “I will not grow old gracefully. I don’t want to just sit on the couch.” Each time she competes, “I feel lucky to be alive,” she says. “I think, ‘Life is great. I’m really glad I was able to keep mine.’”

The article This Woman Completed Her First Ironman Competition at 60 After Beating Cancer originally appeared on Prevention.

Edited by Ender
  • Praise 3

Any recommendations for late stage cancer care (palliative care) at home?

Try this: www.ninkatec.com 

24/7 remote health monitoring and also have clinical response 

Over the weekend, learnt of the news of my aunty, my mother's sister. Apparently, she was given 6 months to live only.

She had breast cancer, a tumor in her breast but she ignored it. Till one day it burst and bled then see doctor. They found out that it was cancerous and had spread to her bones also. Did one round of chemo. But still no use. Now the cancer has spread to her brain and bone marrow!!!

Now going thru 2nd round of chemo.

Wanted to visit her but my cousin who is taking care of her say she is not well and doesnt want any visitors.

Remember, early detection, early cure!!! Wait till too late, no one can help.

Was just informed that my this aunt passed away this morning.

May she rest in peace.

• Praise 3

All those vege oil spread last time got Transfat. Then some of them went TransFat free. But there's something else they have, glycidol or glycidyl esters that causes cancer.

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/health-environment/article/2141930/tests-find-least-18-margarine-products-sold-hong

Almost 20 spreads sold in Hong Kong ‘could up your risk of cancer’

The products have glycidol and most also have 3-MCPD, substances found in a host of processed foods, though the Consumer Council says ‘with normal consumption, the impact on health is minimal’

The watchdog revealed the findings from tests done last October on 30 items – nine types of butter and 21 products containing margarine. The latter comprised 16 margarine spreads, four blended spreads and one sample of shortening. 

46 samples of cooking oil on sale in Hong Kong contained cancer-causing substance in tests

The test results found that of the 18 products, Sunny Meadow’s spread with canola oil contained the most glycidol, at 640 micrograms per kilogram.

The council’s chief executive Gilly Wong Fung-han said glycidol is “inevitably produced” when vegetable oil is heated during the refining process, and could also be found in a host of processed foods, including biscuits and pancakes.

2e48ccb8-415b-11e8-ab09-36e8e67fb996_972

Both she and Professor Wong Kam-fai, who chairs the council’s Trade Practices and Consumer Complaints Review Committee, said it was unrealistic to tell people not to eat anything that might contain the substance.

8 everyday products that could be harming you

“But, as glycidol is genotoxic and carcinogenic, consumers should reduce intake of food containing the substance as much as possible,” Wong said. 

The European Food Safety Authority (ESFA) is set to publish its standards for glycidol intake this year. Last year it recommended that the intake of the by-product 3-MCPD should be no more than 120 micrograms per day for adults. 

14 out of 15 children’s scooter models contain cancer-related chemical: Hong Kong watchdog

3-MCPD comes about when refining edible oils and is found in noodles, chips and even infant formula.

Among the samples, President’s Ambassador Salted Culinary Fat Blend contained the most 3-MCPD at 1,100mcg per kg.

But a person would still have to eat 24 teaspoons of the fat blend in a day to exceed the ESFA’s guidelines, the council said.

“With normal consumption, the impact on health is minimal,” Wong Kam-fai added.

9e232816-4134-11e8-ab09-36e8e67fb996_132

The council said the Food and Environmental Hygiene Department’s (FEHD’s) Centre for Food Safety was drafting guidelines for manufacturers on reducing glycidol and 3-MCPD in food products. It urged the government to also introduce laws to regulate the use of these two substances in keeping with international practices.

Flora and Lurpak said they were taking measures to reduce the quantities of the two substances in their products, with Flora, and Anchor, saying they were in favour of receiving guidelines.

Meanwhile, the council said half of the 30 products it tested had inaccurate nutrition labels.

A product from Lurpak, for instance, claimed to have 36mcg of sodium per 100 grams of blended butter, but tests found the amount was 11 times more than it stated, at 410mcg per 100 grams.

38 out of 60 shampoos found to contain harmful manufacturing solvent in tests by Hong Kong consumer watchdog

Another item was found to have several vitamins not listed on its nutrition label, while other products did not state clearly if they contained a mixture of animal and vegetable oils.

Gilly Wong said the results had been submitted to the FEHD’s Centre for Food Safety and the Customs and Excise Department, for them to see if manufacturers had violated the Trade Descriptions Ordinance.

She said that after being notified of their mistakes, a number of manufacturers including Daisy, Lurpak and President had revised their incorrect labels.

Edited by Ender
  • Praise 3

My mum just passed away peacefully. Thank you all for the prayers and support. I am glad to be with her at her last breathe.

sincere condolences bro...
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

My mum just passed away peacefully. Thank you all for the prayers and support. I am glad to be with her at her last breathe.

deepest condolences to you and your family. 

Condolence. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1