Cancer cases on the rise in Singapore

Darthrevan

I recently started having 2 meals a day and kept the meals within a 6 to 8 hour period and that means I go without food for 16 to 18 hours everyday (includes sleeping time). It works pretty well for me.

I exercise very hard on alternate days. I eat almost anything I want including fast food. Somehow I manage to stay lean and feel healthy.

This mini fasting period is actually good for resetting insulin levels.
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

my best detox is reducing sugar intake, which includes no honey, no sugar in coffee or tea, minimal desserts & low or no sugar soft drinks. I can feel my weight loss n generally feel healthier

• Praise 1

Lost another pal to cancer.  RIP Michael Leong.  I knew him from Shareinvestor.com days.  A good fella

http://www.nextinsight.net/index.php/story-archive-mainmenu-60/938-2016/10573-r-i-p-dr-michael-leong-read-his-post-on-when-you-have-enough-money

The more I personally experience private health insurance in Singapore, the sadder I am for the industry. Firstly, apart from the top tier insurance, you may need a buffer of a few hundred thousand dollars.

For my health insurance, I bought one with no co-payments and no minimum payment - in other words, my health insurance pays 100% of all the bills. But what I have experienced is that the private hospital will insist on you paying the full amount upfront first and only on discharged, will they send a claim form to your insurance company... which then takes a few more weeks to pay you. This is why you must also set aside a large sum of money on top of just having a comprehensive private healthcare plan.

This is on top of the cash reserves needed to sustain the family while you are unable to work.

It gets worse if you have cancer. The cancer drugs can cost easily an additional $25,000 to $50,000 a month. I can now understand why only 7% of cancer patients seek treatment in Singapore.

Even for those who have medical insurance, because of the large sums involved, a 10% co-payment and deductibles may still result in a large amount of money for the average family. Moreover, there can be outpatient costs that may not be covered by the health insurance policy. It is not uncommon for many to rather die from cancer than to cause financial pain to their loved ones ( www.channelnewsasia.com/news/health/the-cost-of-cancer-beyond/2197820.html?cid=FBSG#.ViITiTZrN-o.facebook ).

I feel so sorry for those who cannot afford to pay. There must be something terribly wrong with the current health insurance system especially for those diagnosed with cancer. I am told that the number one cause of personal bankrupcy in the US is due to health costs. Hope we are not going the same direction here.

Read more: http://pertama.freeforums.net/thread/1145/health-insurance-cancer#ixzz40lpj9QVD

=====================================================================================

Read through his post about colon cancer, cost of insurance and private insurance in SGP. A good read from a doctor and a patient himself.

Beware of private insurance and the cost/claim implication.

No wonder people always says u can die but cannot afford to fall sick in SGP! something wrong with the health system here. Where is the $8 heart surgery bypass by KBW?

The cost and claim process might be lesser and simpler for public hospital but the waiting time and queue will be killer [dizzy]

• Praise 3

Do you take protein drink? 

No just proper solid food. Those are generally not effective.

This mini fasting period is actually good for resetting insulin levels.

Yeah the only problem is the meal after the intermittent fast. Insulin level spikes and I get sleepy

let those wealthy countries have more setbacks please

they have over-enjoyed and gained too much wealth

a test of their resilience and mettle...

let them fight cancer

it's a must-fight battle they cannot escape

Edited by Tomasky

There are 200 types of cancers out there. I don't think we can ever see a cure to all these cancers in our lifetime.

While we can lower some of the cancer risks via our food intake, avoidance of carcinogens, exercise and weight control, the major medical clinics in the world do not understand the exact causes of these cancers despite the massive amount of research dollars invested. As one of my friends always said "It's just heng-suay", I too believe genes play a significant part of abnormal cell growth in human. We all know people who smokes their entire life and eat/drink like a sailor, but never stricken by cancer. The only way to know your genetic robustness, unfortunately, is when you are 85 years old....

• Praise 2

Last thursday afternoon, Doctor Wong Seng Weng from The Cancer Centre broke the news to us that the lump on my mum's right arm is cancerous. Now waiting for sub-typing so that we know what type of cancer she is facing.

Our next step is for my mum to be referred to TTSH and for surgery to remove the tumor in her right arm. Waiting for sub-typing results from Dr Wong. As I dont think we can afford to continue with private practise for such long term illness.

Over the weekend, been thinking a lot of what "if". My mum is half-paralysed and has dementia. Bed bound, dont know if she can survive an operation. Really lots to think of............. [dead]

• Praise 4

I think i have shared in this forum before in another thread.

My late mum died of ovarian cancer. She was diagnosed to have fourth stage or advanced stage of clear cell ovarian cancer (the most deadly of the 4 types of ovarian cancer).

She was given only 3 months to live but nonetheless she then heeded the doctor's advice and went for chemotherapy for a few courses (with side effects at each of the courses).

Eventually she went on to live for another 2 years plus before her health deteroriated and passed on.

i agree that having a healthy diet and regular exercise are of paramount importance. This is still a reminder to me and my family today.

Also, i think it is very important to have oneself insured or covered under one of the private shields from the insurance companies as the shield plans would help to allay the costs of the treatment charges and hospital bills (other than the consultant's charges).

Finally, cherish and spend time with loved ones before we won't know when they will go.

• Praise 7

Last thursday afternoon, Doctor Wong Seng Weng from The Cancer Centre broke the news to us that the lump on my mum's right arm is cancerous. Now waiting for sub-typing so that we know what type of cancer she is facing.

Our next step is for my mum to be referred to TTSH and for surgery to remove the tumor in her right arm. Waiting for sub-typing results from Dr Wong. As I dont think we can afford to continue with private practise for such long term illness.

Over the weekend, been thinking a lot of what "if". My mum is half-paralysed and has dementia. Bed bound, dont know if she can survive an operation. Really lots to think of............. [dead]

Sorry to hear that man, hope the op will not be too taxing and a smooth recovery for her.

Did they detect it purely from the lump or was there pain beforehand

Sorry to hear that man, hope the op will not be too taxing and a smooth recovery for her.

Did they detect it purely from the lump or was there pain beforehand

They detect it by doing biopsy, then did histology on the biopsy sample taken. Now waiting for sub-typing result which we should know by end of this week.

Callous of me to say this but she already has dementia and is half-paralysed. 

Not surviving could be for the best.

compared to our forefathers who braved through hardships and wars in the yesteryears, modern younger generations today are too fortunate and have too few setbacks.

look at their wealth and lavished lifestyle, modern technological gadgets, cars, holidays, modern houses...they need more setbacks..something has to be sacrificed

as GDP increases annually, incidence of cancer will rise proportionally...there ought to be a trade-off..

this is a fair world..modern generations in singapore cannot complain..they have to be contented...even if cancer befalls..it's heaven's will that they have to surmount this hurdle..in exchange for their economic gain

wealthy Singapore...this is a must-fight battle for you, cannot escape

cannot liddat compare....

never ends one lah....

live one's live according to its time...

different generation different challenges...

compared to our forefathers who braved through hardships and wars in the yesteryears, modern younger generations today are too fortunate and have too few setbacks.

look at their wealth and lavished lifestyle, modern technological gadgets, cars, holidays, modern houses...they need more setbacks..something has to be sacrificed

as GDP increases annually, incidence of cancer will rise proportionally...there ought to be a trade-off..

this is a fair world..modern generations in singapore cannot complain..they have to be contented...even if cancer befalls..it's heaven's will that they have to surmount this hurdle..in exchange for their economic gain

• Praise 1

(edited)

cannot liddat compare....

never ends one lah....

live one's live according to its time...

different generation different challenges...

It seems destined...singaporeans..there is a price to pay for wealth possession

the cancer trend will inch up as you strive for GDP growth

and there is no way to prevent no matter how advanced medical science is

Now it's 1 in 3 destined to suffer from cancer, very soon it will be 2 in 5, ...then 2 in 3

it is already decided

and it's not entirely because people here are living longer and battling the final frontier

increasing cases of young people getting cancer too

Edited by Tomasky

Turbocharged
(edited)

It seems destined...singaporeans..there is a price to pay for wealth possession

the cancer trend will inch up as you strive for GDP growth

and there is no way to prevent no matter how advanced medical science is

Now it's 1 in 3 destined to suffer from cancer, very soon it will be 2 in 5, ...then 2 in 3

it is already decided

True from a country perspective, but from individual perspective, there is a lot that can be done to minimize the chance of cancer.

At the very least, spend some time to Exercise.

Edited by Icedbs

Hypersonic

Unable to make a fair comparison. Life expectancy in the past are shorter too, they succumb to other disease before their cell can mutate into cancer. 

In the past, the test for cancer I believe also not advance as current CT scan or tumor marker, or whatever. Some who died from it may just be classified as other unknow reason.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4