Mr Lee Kuan Yew will miss CNY dinner for the second time

Darthrevan

If there is unity, why is there a brain drain?
In an interview by UPI Editor at Large, Arnaud de Borchgrave on Feb. 2, 2008
ex-PM admitted the brain drain:

But regarding the reply, I really don't know whether the top end 1k/yr are going to US or the bulk goes to Canada or down under.

Q: You also have a brain drain?

A: Yes, we're losing them to America.
Q: Not China?
A: No, there they have to compete against 1.3 billion people producing huge numbers of very bright people. They'd rather go to America where they become acclimatized, then go to China with an American firm. Chinese speakers, they are part of an American team with a leg up on their Chinese competitors. And from there, they can come back to Singapore with the kind of experience that puts them at the top of their game. Those who seek less rigorous competition, a more relaxed lifestyle, go to Canada and Australia.
Q: How many top brains do you consider lost to Singapore every year?
A: At the top end, about 1,000 a year. That's a loss of 4 percent or 5 percent. But compensating that, we have Chinese and Indians coming here looking for better prospects. So on balance, we're still gainers. But the day will come when China, in 30 or 40 years, will offer better prospects than any country in the world.

even American firm also cannot dominate china. china wants its own fortune 500 companies.

so what if singaporeans join US firms and go china and have a leg up? we are still outsiders to them.

and the answers show arrogance and lack of understanding. only know the top line numbers.

so many FT with fake degrees, FT usually treat this place as stepping stone.

how many people think top talent (FT mostly) is looking out for number 1? or they want to nurture Singapore to be better?

↡ Advertisement

bulls**t lah, we SIngaporeans overpaid him far too long liao lah... gratitude is one thing, stupidity is another..

Stupidity are the ones which think he is paid alot . For all he has done with his whole life taking care of the millions here , i think those money he takes is peanuts. Talk is cheap to whiners which think he is overpaid.

Judging from what is said here , i doubt you have done anything for the nation neither do you understand the worth of what he has done. As i said , how much he is "paid" is irrelevant to him , he cannot bring it to his grave. If you can't even understand simple things like this , i doubt you are anywhere near "smart" to call others stupid.

One's past is always part of one's present and future.

It does not matter that his ways would not or may not have worked or worked as well now, I am grateful and thankful that his methods worked in the past so that we can have our present.

It's super easy to talk, especially on hindsight. I will support the ones who really go out and help this nation with their brilliant solutions and not mind getting lesser than the current leaders pay.

Wishing this great man with a genuine love for his country and people, a speedy recovery. He did his part, to the best of his ability and effort.....I am glad that he can see that this nation is still surviving and doing its best to continue keeping it's sovereignty.

Get well soon.

Safe ride

Cheers

• Praise 1

even American firm also cannot dominate china. china wants its own fortune 500 companies.

so what if singaporeans join US firms and go china and have a leg up? we are still outsiders to them.

and the answers show arrogance and lack of understanding. only know the top line numbers.

so many FT with fake degrees, FT usually treat this place as stepping stone.

how many people think top talent (FT mostly) is looking out for number 1? or they want to nurture Singapore to be better?

Singapore is just a small place , don't look ourself too up. We are just trying to do stuff to "survive" not to be world beaters , yes the current leadership needs some shuffling , how about you step up to the plate?

That said , i wonder how top line one claims he is but i see top officials coming over to sg to learn our social model and implementing them back over at their side. So who is learning from who? As for the FT using here as a stepping stone , we can't stop them from leaving , it only says so much about us , we are trying to bring them in , in hope they stay , we cannot stop them from moving on if they find this place unsuitable.

Why are all the children of leaders in china educated elsewhere and not china? Arrogance?

One's past is always part of one's present and future.

It does not matter that his ways would not or may not have worked or worked as well now, I am grateful and thankful that his methods worked in the past so that we can have our present.

It's super easy to talk, especially on hindsight. I will support the ones who really go out and help this nation with their brilliant solutions and not mind getting lesser than the current leaders pay.

Wishing this great man with a genuine love for his country and people, a speedy recovery. He did his part, to the best of his ability and effort.....I am glad that he can see that this nation is still surviving and doing its best to continue keeping it's sovereignty.

Get well soon.

Safe ride

Cheers

To me , whatever he has done is good enough, might be lacking to others but to me , he provided a platform for the "poor" to move up , he provided stability and social security to me and my family. I do no need to be worried that i would be robbed at gun point , unlike our neighbors . Neither do i worry about my next meal or my inability to find work . Just look at Thailand.

Do listen to what he says in his interviews , i find it very street smart and pragmatic. Those goons which can't even understand those simple things he is trying to imply didn't even try to understand what circumstances he went through.

Edited by CH_CO

Singapore is just a small place , don't look ourself too up. We are just trying to do stuff to "survive" not to be world beaters , yes the current leadership needs some shuffling , how about you step up to the plate?

That said , i wonder how top line one claims he is but i see top officials coming over to sg to learn our social model and implementing them back over at their side. So who is learning from who? As for the FT using here as a stepping stone , we can't stop them from leaving , it only says so much about us , we are trying to bring them in , in hope they stay , we cannot stop them from moving on if they find this place unsuitable.

Why are all the children of leaders in china educated elsewhere and not china? Arrogance?

To me , whatever he has done is good enough, might be lacking to others but to me , he provided a platform for the "poor" to move up , he provided stability and social security to me and my family. I do no need to be worried that i would be robbed at gun point , unlike our neighbors . Neither do i worry about my next meal or my inability to find work . Just look at Thailand.

Do listen to what he says in his interviews , i find it very street smart and pragmatic. Those goons which can't even understand those simple things he is trying to imply didn't even try to understand what circumstances he went through.

top line number - the statistical numbers of the 1000. not referring to top line people.

nearly every country in the world allows government exchanges to learn from each other. this is not something special. we went to learn from japan. but look where our productivity efforts went? lol

they are learning how we can be a democracy and yet have very little freedom.

we started from a low base. we had much help and very good team. it is not a one man show. seriously, who gets the credit?

you can have your opinion, but many know better.

top line number - the statistical numbers of the 1000. not referring to top line people.

nearly every country in the world allows government exchanges to learn from each other. this is not something special. we went to learn from japan. but look where our productivity efforts went? lol

they are learning how we can be a democracy and yet have very little freedom.

we started from a low base. we had much help and very good team. it is not a one man show. seriously, who gets the credit?

you can have your opinion, but many know better.

Ok top line numbers , name them probably since i am ignorant about these "numbers" , best if you can provide them , else NPNT.

BTW , you are dead wrong here , i do think most of our forefathers deserve our respect , i did post on GKS when he passed and also with a couple of others , issue is without him to string and present it as a package do you think it is possible? Do you think china had their cultural revolution with 1 man of Mao ZD? Or Abraham Lincoln? Of course there will always be a good team behind these leaders. Rome is not made overnight.

As for the many which knows better , of course there are. I do not claim to be the smartest , but i am not jealous of what others have , neither do i think he does or does not deserve whatever he took , he spent years toiling for Singapore , even if he took billions from us i think it would still be ok. I seriously doubt you read into history of our neighbors look at what state their leaders bring their country to and what of ours , likewise you can have your comments i can have mine.

Low base yes , 50 years ago , compare Sg to Philippines and Indo , now compare them to us. Dude , open your eyes and travel around.

Edited by CH_CO
  • Praise 3

Ok top line numbers , name them probably since i am ignorant about these "numbers" , best if you can provide them , else NPNT.

BTW , you are dead wrong here , i do think most of our forefathers deserve our respect , i did post on GKS when he passed and also with a couple of others , issue is without him to string and present it as a package do you think it is possible? Do you think china had their cultural revolution with 1 man of Mao ZD? Or Abraham Lincoln? Of course there will always be a good team behind these leaders. Rome is not made overnight.

As for the many which knows better , of course there are. I do not claim to be the smartest , but i am not jealous of what others have , neither do i think he does or does not deserve whatever he took , he spent years toiling for Singapore , even if he took billions from us i think it would still be ok. I seriously doubt you read into history of our neighbors look at what state their leaders bring their country to and what of ours , likewise you can have your comments i can have mine.

Low base yes , 50 years ago , compare Sg to Philippines and Indo , now compare them to us. Dude , open your eyes and travel around.

dude, your condescension has no limit. keep it civil. dun be an ass by stating obvious facts and passing it as your wisdom.

these top line numbers I am referring to are like people in acc and econ talk about lah. WTF. how many "smart" people leave and how many come. these are just numbers.

dun be a tool.

dude open you mind. if we can't even manage a red dot compared to phi and ind, we really fail.

Edited by Nolicense

dude, your condescension has no limit. keep it civil. dun be an ass by stating obvious facts and passing it as your wisdom.

these top line numbers I am referring to are like people in acc and econ talk about lah. WTF. how many "smart" people leave and how many come. these are just numbers.

dun be a tool.

dude open you mind. if we can't even manage a red dot compared to phi and ind, we really fail.

I have never said it was my wisdom. As i said , you claim there are numbers you pluck from thin air , until now nothing. You wanna talk economic numbers , i can talk with you , but show me the numbers first. Wanna act knowledgeable , please have the knowledge first. Damn xia sway if bubble burst.

End of day , NPNT . I don't speak chim chim england for people to understand me. As i said , try traveling around look at what is around you before you talk about numbers.

Only shows how much you know. I do not need to prove i am better , i speak what i see and i feel , i don't expect things to happen on its own , neither to i think our success is a "given". Dude , read up , travel more , learn more.

Abit of setback nia name calling start liaoz. Wow. Talk about being civil leh. Piu

Edited by CH_CO

I have never said it was my wisdom. As i said , you claim there are numbers you pluck from thin air , until now nothing.You wanna talk economic numbers , i can talk with you , but show me the numbers first.

End of day , NPNT . I don't speak chim chim england for people to understand me. As i said , try traveling around look at what is around you before you talk about numbers.

Only shows how much you know. I do not need to prove i am better , i speak what i see and i feel , i don't expect things to happen on its own , neither to i think our success is a "given". Dude , read up , travel more , learn more.

Abit of setback nia name calling start liaoz. Wow.

dude, looks like your reading and travel and learning don't seem to make you much wiser. I only ask you not to be condescending, which you so blatantly seem to enjoy doing. you dun know me, I dun know you. so please stop making valued judgments and making yourself come off as obnoxious.

none of the above is calling you a name. just persuading you not to be like that.

NB: the numbers from thin air of 1000 is from the interview. not me

Talk about being civil leh. Piu

there we have it. the real person finally comes out.

Edited by Nolicense
  • Praise 1

dude, looks like your reading and travel and learning don't seem to make you much wiser. I only ask you not to be condescending, which you so blatantly seem to enjoy doing. you dun know me, I dun know you. so please stop making valued judgments and making yourself come off as obnoxious.

none of the above is calling you a name. just persuading you not to be like that.

there we have it. the real person finally comes out.

End of day ? NPNT. Sad right? I am always real. Walk straight stand straight , i don't claim to know numbers which i cannot prove.

Edited by CH_CO

see above for the thin air number from interview.

Well everyone has eyes to see . Claim top line numbers , i don't see them. 1000 interview? Where? Do you see that every single 1000 numbers? Else how do u know?

Sg papers i take it with a pinch of salt , papers only let you read what you want to read and a marketing firm is just merely doing a survey.

It is worded as such , given a choice more than half of Singaporeans would migrate , problem is to where? How do you define given a choice?

Dude i deal to real economic numbers as i work for the banks , i see real number each day , those 1000 which claims they will migrate aren't exactly the ones which can do so. That's the reason why they say they would if they can.

Edited by CH_CO

, i speak what i see and i feel ,

enough said. I am not saying you are wrong mind you.

we can all say what we see and feel. unless you defame.

I agree HSS, GKS and many others did a good job. many mistakes were also made.

but there is always the good and the bad.

Well everyone has eyes to see . Claim top line numbers , i don't see them. 1000 interview? Where? Do you see that every single 1000 numbers? Else how do u know?

Sg papers i take it with a pinch of salt , papers only let you read what you want to read and that firm is just merely doing a survey.

It is worded as such , given a choice more than half of Singaporeans would migrate , problem is where?

http://www.upi.com/Emerging_Threats/2008/02/08/Interview-Lee-Kuan-Yew-Part-2/UPI-93981202487191/

apparently you have not read enough.

Dude i already said , people come people go, if they think it is unsuitable they leave. Simple as that. I have already answered u. That said , 1k leaves , does it mean that vacuum is not covered or at least they are trying.

As i said , we can't stop people from leaving. Doesn't mean we cannot grow others to take over. I might not be "top" talent but i am not afraid of losing my job.

Again i repeat , do you know that 1k? How do you know they are really top talent?

Edited by CH_CO

Dude i already said , people come people go, if they think it is unsuitable they leave. Simple as that. I have already answered u. That said , 1k leaves , does it mean that vacuum is not covered or at least they are trying.

As i said , we can't stop people from leaving. Doesn't mean we cannot grow others to take over. I might not be "top" talent but i am not afraid of losing my job.

Again i repeat , do you know that 1k? How do you know they are really top talent?

alamak. LKY rely on his staff to tell him these are top talent. if they are wrong then you how can you believe in anything PAP says then? nevermind. rhetorical.

Singapore citizens can leave to find better opportunities. no stopping them.

we can "grow" other SC to take over, but these are not the top talent PAP deem.

so they invite top talent to come. but new comers will always think of their old home.

So where is the "grow"?

alamak. LKY rely on his staff to tell him these are top talent. if they are wrong then you how can you believe in anything PAP says then? nevermind. rhetorical.

Singapore citizens can leave to find better opportunities. no stopping them.

we can "grow" other SC to take over, but these are not the top talent PAP deem.

so they invite top talent to come. but new comers will always think of their old home.

So where is the "grow"?

At the top end, about 1,000 a year. That's a loss of 4 percent or 5 percent. But compensating that, we have Chinese and Indians coming here looking for better prospects. So on balance, we're still gainers. But the day will come when China, in 30 or 40 years, will offer better prospects than any country in the world.

We do grow them by importing "talents" in hope they stay , out of the tens of thousands imported they are hoping that we will find enough talents to take over. Another part of it is , these "FT" will take over the jobs we local talents leave behind when we take up the challenge to rise up to being a top talent. Just imagine , we are able to lose 1k of "top" talent each year , it only comes to show our system has produced at least that number to "lose"

Similarly , do you know the people(grassroot) the leader rely on "failed" them that's the reason for all these unhappiness. The present leaders only want to listen to flattery not criticism nor alternative views. If one attends the "tea" party and golf games, you will know how it is.

Edited by CH_CO
↡ Advertisement