Engineering career anyone?

Vulcann

There's a shortage of engineers, bcuz everyone wants to be a property agent and make big bucks.

Property agent already passé... everyone wants to be a bankster and make mega bucks!

• Praise 1

The result is a talent crunch. Instead of getting experienced engineers, companies like LongTech Engineering have to train new hires from scratch.

Operations director Boyd Sheum said: “If they stay only two or three years, then your effort goes down the drain. That’s the painful part.”

Industries such as manufacturing and construction will suffer if the shortage of skilled staff continues, experts have warned.

Also, there is room for salaries to rise, said IES president Chong Kee Sen. “Employers have to relook the pay scale of mid-level engineers, and look at career progression for them so they see future prospects,” he said.

He estimates that an engineer with at least five years of experience earns between $5,000 and $7,000 a month.

[email protected]

- See more at: http://business.asiaone.com/career/news/engineering-losing-its-shine-singapore#sthash.ijQep6xo.dpuf

well done. so good ah??

2 questions

1. I wish to find out how much is LongTech Engineering paying their fresh grad engineers and 5 years experience engineers

2. I wish to find out when was the last time Mr Chong talked to an Singaporean engineer in manufacturing industry.

Property agent already passé... everyone wants to be a bankster and make mega bucks!

I thought all the ginna pis wanna be DJs... I've been hearing it so much my eyes hurts when I roll them [rolleyes]

2 questions

1. I wish to find out how much is LongTech Engineering paying their fresh grad engineers and 5 years experience engineers

2. I wish to find out when was the last time Mr Chong talked to an Singaporean engineer in manufacturing industry.

so concise, you must be an engineer... [laugh][laugh]

1. maybe they are paid in RM

2. or maybe he meant they are worth 5-7k in 5 years, not they are drawing 5-7k [:p][:p]

Edited by Vidz

Be engineer?)?!?! Siao ah?!?!???

So many ft cum in, undercut salary

Cheaper better faster

Hard lag

Be banger, rawyer, dogtor is the bestest liao

Unless of course the degree so satki until can becum defence scientist then is true engineering

All the rest is just cheap pay banglah

[laugh]

Jit tong Cheng [grin]

一句话 - 难赚 [shakehead]

Difficult to survive on hardcore engineering.

Unless you work in a MNC where there is promotion opportunities to higher management level, you cannot really go far in local SMEs as an engineer.

A buddy of mine who got himself a Geotech on top of his PE © qualification lamented the difficulty with his one-leg kicking practice. Low fees due to stiff competition does not allow him to employ junior engineers to assist him which means he cannot grow his business.

Heng getting a PE was never my aim [;)]

Two articles worth reading ..

1. The global innovation index

manufacturing (3rd) -

research personnel (5th) - after finland, iceland, denmark, israel

overall ranking (8th)

2. Innovation Policy around the World: Singapore: Betting on Biomedical Sciences

No dobut, gahment had allocated a lotta budget to BMRC in recent years.

But what about SERC?

Also, not sure how are those a* phd scholars doing when they come back, or spread a third wing?? Do we deploy them efficiently or effectively?

Is our "high value add manufacturing prowess" or high overall ranking in innovation index relevant or a fertile ground for our local engineers??

Engineering is a course that guarantees a job easily. So many vacancies. But not easy to job hop as the skills and knowledge are quite specific in certain fields. Salary is poor, by SG standards, how to attract the best local talent? End up it's the talent overseas that snap up the job. And there are indeed engineering talent from those countries that we often belittle. And they are hungrier

I know of a friend who’s in the automotive trade working as an engineer. He said he does not make much and after the previous boss retired his headquarter sent a new one who’s on the conservative side when coming to dishing out bonus and increment. But he explains that this is a competitive industry and without adequate protection by prioritising Singaporeans in the employment segment, you simply just have to raise your bar to compete. He explains that attitude towards work is paramount to gaining recognition on top of some luck. His employers are giving him the chance to prove his mettle by sending him to Germany for training every year and flying him around his area of responsibilities to gain experience. He finds the room for development extremely spacious even though he has no degree. What I know is that he currently runs the quality and engineering systems and processes in Asia Pacific with the Germans and Chinese for the automotive industry.

He’s making 3 times as much than when he was in a local engineering company in a span of 6 years. He mentioned that he was overlooked for a promotion during his days in a local company because he didn’t have a degree. He mentioned to me about the part when his General manager spoke to him after he was nominated for promotion directly related to what he has been doing, in fact, proven to be capable of going up, in view of exemplary performance by his peers and direct superior. The first question his GM asked was if he has a degree. And when he heard my friend only had a diploma, he told him to get a degree first before brushing his eligibility off. His friend who didn’t really enjoyed working there got promoted instead because he took a degree hardly related to the work he was doing.

From what I see in him, I feel that in order for engineering to succeed, apart from an excellent attitude with results meeting great work performance, employers must also do their part to identify talents. The business must also thrive with prospects showing people why this place is worthy for you to invest your efforts. A dual carriage support has to be present to make this work. Otherwise, we can simply just see this whole industry die down and go to our cheaper but not necessary better (who in time will become as good) competitors.

Is your friend's company hiring? Job applicant here haha.

Anyone knows what's the pay for entry level engineers dip holders ?

so concise, you must be an engineer... [laugh][laugh]

1. maybe they are paid in RM

2. or maybe he meant they are worth 5-7k in 5 years, not they are drawing 5-7k [:p][:p]

studied engineering but not engineer anymore.

very common. If study engineering, still engineer is very rare. If study others, convert to engineer is [hur]

seems like many engineers in this thread ...

• Praise 1

Next generation you won't see this many liao. The intakes for engineering at local Us have been low for locals. Although engineering is very versatile, why waste the time and efforts (which is very much tougher than most others) in pursuing?

Then again, those doing softer disciplines like business will be hard hit 'cos not many cushy office jobs for them also. They will have to settle for clerical, administration, retail, sales (credit card promoters, etc) kind of jobs.

Even doctors are not spared with spiralling of rentals and influx of FTs. Dentists still quite OK at this time and give the best work-life balance of all professionals.

seems like many engineers in this thread ...

Edited by Kangadrool

Like i said before, our IES is not doing a good job in protecting local engineers.

We have Engineers from PRC, philippines, Vietnam, Myanmar, Malaysia....... And worst, NTU/NUS and whole lots of private U are breeding grounds of thousands of them in the near future. And what is IES doing?

• Praise 1

the early 90s (92-95) engineering is hot, really hot esp EE. all graduate st away paid 3k at the wafer semi con cos.

then my time late 90s, engineering suddenly became like dumping ground. frens applied for few courses and only got slots in engineering.

yup my close engineering frens are no longer in engineering - become teacher, one financial planning, one do business, the most drastic has to b a marketing product head.

Next generation you won't see this many liao. The intakes for engineering at local Us have been low for locals. Although engineering is very versatile, why waste the time and efforts (which is very much tougher than most others) in pursuing?

Then again, those doing softer disciplines like business will be hard hit 'cos not many cushy office jobs for them also. They will have to settle for clerical, administration, retail, sales (credit card promoters, etc) kind of jobs.

Even doctors are not spared with spiralling of rentals and influx of FTs. Dentists still quite OK at this time and give the best work-life balance of all professionals.

I personally find my engineering training in uni useful now but the ones that really helped are the 1st few years when I was an engineer.

Is your friend's company hiring? Job applicant here haha.

Anyone knows what's the pay for entry level engineers dip holders ?

Yes, Last I heard there's position for sales on automotive. It's some technical sales position. Not too sure about that. PM me if you are interested. I give you his contact.

↡ Advertisement