Engineering career anyone?

Vulcann

the bottom line is this...
EVERYBODY needs an engineer to get the job done. but no one is willing to up the renumeration for them to attract more people to do it.

WHY? cos engineering is a cost center. most of them do not generate revenue. so, not important compared to revenue centers like banking or Sales.

↡ Advertisement

Lack of engineers in the mid-management sector is good for those who manage to tahan the 1st 10 years or so. Your skills and experience will be more in demand.

Lack of engineers in the mid-management sector is good for those who manage to tahan the 1st 10 years or so. Your skills and experience will be more in demand.

Adrianli, on 10 Feb 2014 - 11:41 AM, said:snapback.png

Thatz me in bold now. Coming to 10yrs in ang mo company, still pretty much doing the same thing I started out 10yrs ago.

Not I say one hor … but here is one life example … [nod]

Adrianli, on 10 Feb 2014 - 11:41 AM, said:snapback.png

Not I say one hor … but here is one life example … [nod]

I am not sure of the exact circumstances of Adrianli, but i've worked with quite abit of Singaporeans and Malaysians who are doing very well in middle/top management after starting out in engineering career. So IMO, it's not a difficult thing to achieve.

I am not sure of the exact circumstances of Adrianli, but i've worked with quite abit of Singaporeans and Malaysians who are doing very well in middle/top management after starting out in engineering career. So IMO, it's not a difficult thing to achieve.

actually it is.

just to hit manager in a manufacturing enviroment probably needs at least 10 yrs exp. even that is optimistically.

i know many good engineers still stuck at SE level simply because those on top no move, those below can't move up.

and the spots are limited.

Engineering is really "pai tan" job! E.g. if the building you supervise collapse, you are professionally liable. All for less than 1% of the construction costs and working for months during construction. And all the while being under-priced as there are millions of engineers from China, Myanmar etc after his job.

On the other hand, property agent makes 1% of the selling price in perhaps a few days.

And Bankers? They don't even get slapped on their wrists when they collude in interest rate setting or selling toxic products. In fact they don't even need to know what they are selling!

Who would want to be engineers here in Singapore?

Compared to other professional such as doctors and lawyers, the professional engineer could be easily sued by BCA if he endorsed on a building project and it collapsed.

Have we ever heard of a doctor who was sued for mis-diagnosis ?

Compared to other professional such as doctors and lawyers, the professional engineer could be easily sued by BCA if he endorsed on a building project and it collapsed.

why not.

don't be an ignoramus lah.

it's the same liability as any other professionals.

why not.

don't be an ignoramus lah.

it's the same liability as any other professionals.

It is very difficult to prove misdiagnosis in Singapore. You need to get another medical of "equal status" to come up and say that doctor is question misdiagnose/perform an error.

Therefore, most legal advisor would advise one not to take legal action.

Edited by GLZT
  • Praise 2

Don't let the people know what a frog in a well you are.

[shakehead]

• Praise 2

There's a famous engineer among our political leaders...

She's none other than Ms Er Dr Lee Bee Wah [sweatdrop] Dun play play... she got Doctorate in Engineering...

i didn't even though there's a specific title "Er" for engineer one..

If you see salaries offered in job ads, for engineering positions, managerial or supervisory level, only pay 5k to 6k per month at most... that is for like 7 or 8 years experience...

Can you imagine managerial responsibilities - i.e. managing a team of people, not just technical but admin issues, and answering for the team's performance, for such a relatively low pay??

I think even teaching profession pays more with the number of years' experience, with promotions factored in. Not to mention, it's not really 24/7 on-call (though some may argue otherwise) and no life-and-death, safety issues involved.

Edited by Sosaria
  • Praise 2

If you see salaries offered in job ads, for engineering positions, managerial or supervisory level, only pay 5k to 6k per month at most... that is for like 7 or 8 years experience...

Can you imagine managerial responsibilities - i.e. managing a team of people, not just technical but admin issues, and answering for the team's performance, for such a relatively low pay??

I think even teaching profession pays more with the number of years' experience, with promotions factored in. Not to mention, it's not really 24/7 on-call (though some may argue otherwise) and no life-and-death, safety issues involved.

not true lah. most mnc entry level managers already abt 6k.

my ex boss about 15k senior manager

There's a famous engineer among our political leaders...

She's none other than Ms Er Dr Lee Bee Wah [sweatdrop] Dun play play... she got Doctorate in Engineering...

i didn't even though there's a specific title "Er" for engineer one..

ho ching also engineer

7, 8 years of management experience or working. If the latter, I think very good already. People here have very high salary expectation it seems.

Teaching is more of an exception here, as many people do not want this profession, so government keep throwing moeny & bonus at them.

What to do? Things are so expensive and super inflated here.

Even for cooked food, we used to pride ourselves as affordable, but it is changing now. It is moving towards first world price while most of the population are still earning sesame seed.

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 2

The local civil engineering consultancy services industry is plagued by low fees as it is very competitive here. Clients will not normally consider your design if your rivals can provide "cheap & good" rates no matter how sound it is. There are often folks out there willing to take a big obscene cut in order to secure the job.

Thus one must be really passionate to practice engineering, especially in the civil line.

actually it is.

just to hit manager in a manufacturing enviroment probably needs at least 10 yrs exp. even that is optimistically.

i know many good engineers still stuck at SE level simply because those on top no move, those below can't move up.

and the spots are limited.

Manufacturing got a lot of unsung heroes … A lot of them really don't deserve the plight I see them in right now … Engineering was an "Iron Rice Bowl" in the 70s & 80s … But not anymore … <_<