Do You Want To Retire Before 60 ?

DON'T forget, the goal post keeps changing. [laugh]

Yup.....

This year don't know what will happen next year and how far the goalposts shift to... [sweatdrop]

If not mistaken, every 2 years, there will be an increase of $5000/- into the RA. Latest increase was last year and so, next year it will be around $154,000/- for those reaching 55yrs... [grin]

I wanted to but everythings soooooooooooo expensive nowadays ..... [:(]

I am one of the 78% ..... [sly]

Working more than 40 over years and time to relax leow ... [smash]

now also can retire.

then go CV do part-time.

ai mai? :mellow:

looks like an article to boast how rich singaporeans are and financial products salesman will be looking out to scam more people

Seems to be the latter.. More products to sell to people for "investment"..

Talk cock leh, of cos have to rely on savings and investment income, if any. What else can we rely on?

some countries rely on government.

Prepare to run road lar.....get your children to study overseas and stay put once they have finished their education. Then prepare to follow them.....once done throw away citizenship.....sell your flat.....smelly smelly can get 700k-1 million including cpf. Buy a house there and help your children with living quarters until they are able to afford their own! one thing though, your children better not give up sg citizenship. Its kinda necessary when they are still young adult.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

Retirement is a very slippery word. When a door closes, another one opens. Most of us will end up doing something else. The difference is by choice or need.

With debt level soaring, I see people around me unable to sustain their current lifestyle if they retire. So is it just a matter of just stop working or more of adjusting to an alternative lifestyle with a lower income flow? I see more of the latter for fellow Singaporeans.

Most people think along the line of X dollars by Y years old. What happens if Y years old comes and he is short of a few hundred thousand to X dollars? Or X dollars is achieved way before Y years old? If everything is as easy as the financial planners project, we shouldn't really have to worry about anything but we do.

In most cases in Singapore, retirement is forced upon an individual rather than planned. And they take it from there. X or no X, somehow they pull through. With the current inflation rate, any retiree will see his funds shrinking at an alarming rate. That is not a comfortable thought for any one.

And other more fortunate cases, a person reaches Y years old but his income stream is flowing smoothly, then retirement is just another way to describe their lifestyle. Rich old men never really retire but they don't really do much, right? So for these people, what difference does it make?

Bottom line - save up like your life depends on it and invest wisely while going is good. Cars, for one, are not wise investments. For most of us, retiring in comfort will be a pipe dream. But saving up prudently will lessen the impact of the alternative lifestyle when the day comes. Like your Sergeant always say "Good luck to you!"

• Praise 5

Supercharged

I retired at 49 years old.

We lead a simple life, don't force anything but go out when we want, on holiday when we want and eat what we want.

Live in HDB now although it used to be a condo and drive an Altis.

Can't get any better imo.

Gym regularly to keep fit although I was told last week by my cardiologist that I'd had a 'silent' heart attack.

But I feel fine and will be happy if this goes on for years.

• Praise 1

We lead a simple life, don't force anything but go out when we want, on holiday when we want and eat what we want.

Gym regularly to keep fit although I was told last week by my cardiologist that I'd had a 'silent' heart attack.

can I ask if u have any children?

I will work until I physically can no longer do so. :)

As long as my skill, knowledge & creativity, imagination can be of use, & appreciated. I will continue to work in the fields I love.

Just that I may not be working for monetary reasons.

“The fact that most Singaporeans rely on their own savings and investment speaks about their desire to be self-reliant and self-sufficient,”

Of course lah, you think gaberment will sappork you ah ?

Here can die but cannot fall sick... best is die in sleep.

• Praise 1

(edited)

What is a silent heart attack?

I can probably retire in the next few years based on x amount of passive income that is sufficient to pay for all my expenses at the moment but am not sure if I can survive on just gym, books, mycarforum, the occasional travels and a step-down lifestyle. Wifey thinks after working 12-14 hours day for umpteen years, I will go crazy and end up making her life miserable. So I may consider downgrading to a less taxing job or one whereby I have a better work life balance (more control at my end) but who wants to hire someone operating at sub-optimal level?

Q: What is your motivation to apply for this job, which is a downgrade from your current position?

A: I want to go home at 6 pm sharp and sleep better at night. *LOL*

Maybe I will start my small business to keep myself active but knowing me, I will end up giving 110% and working harder than before. Dangerous move as once in, difficult to extricate yourself.

Care to share a little more on your thoughts of life after full retirement?

Edited by Voodooman
  • Praise 1

(edited)

retire means

1. stay home watch tv

2. evening go downstair play chess

3. lunch and dinner = $3 chap chai peng or self cook easy meal

like this retire ... [thumbsdown]

retire means maintain scale down current lifestyle including every year overseas trip [thumbsup]

Edited by Wt_know

Supercharged

What is a silent heart attack?

Care to share a little more on your thoughts of life after full retirement?

Silent heart attack is one I didn't know about and only showed up on a recent stress test echocardiogram.

Not really much more to share.

I've now been retired for 15 years and love every minute.

I was like you and was working 6 or 7 days a week, 12 to 14 hours a day.

Some people aren't able to just give it up and I do miss it even now about twice a year for maybe 60 secs each time.

As I say we lead a simple life, the day always seems to be full somehow and we like our holidays which are getting longer each time.

As I say this type of retired lifestyle won't suit everybody maybe even not many but it suits me and the missus down to a tee.

• Praise 2

Silent heart attack is one I didn't know about and only showed up on a recent stress test echocardiogram.

Not really much more to share.

I've now been retired for 15 years and love every minute.

I was like you and was working 6 or 7 days a week, 12 to 14 hours a day.

Some people aren't able to just give it up and I do miss it even now about twice a year for maybe 60 secs each time.

As I say we lead a simple life, the day always seems to be full somehow and we like our holidays which are getting longer each time.

As I say this type of retired lifestyle won't suit everybody maybe even not many but it suits me and the missus down to a tee.

Take care uncle Neutrino and thanks for sharing.

By the way, are you in any volunteer or religious group? I have friends who retire early but are active in volunteer works, it is a way to stay active and return to society.

↡ Advertisement