Would You Send Your Car To JB For Servicing and Repairing?

Yeobt

If your cooling coil is spoil, then the gas (top-up at Markcool) would last even shorter than the previous top-up (at Hawk Tayar).

The evaporator coil was "suspected" to be leaking, as per my post #11 [copied some info below]. I hope that the gas top-up [Mark Cool] would last longer [just like Mar2013 to Feb2014], otherwise there would be a big hole in my wallet.

I saw Ah Huat working on another vehicle, with the dashboard removed, all the internals [wirings, tubings, etc...] dangling. My heart pains to see my ride going for similar "operation".

Background info :

Recently my car aircon was suddenly not cooling after a long drive. I remembered the same problem was resolved after top-up aircon gas in Mar2013. At that time, a mechanic had advised that the evaporator coil may be leaking, and need to remove the dashboard to replace the evaporator coil. Estimated costs S$800~S$900. He offered to top-up gas and monitor.

Since the top-up gas can last from Mar2013 to Feb2014, the leaks may not be very critical. I am prepared to top-up gas instead of major repair [remove dashboard [bigcry] ].

↡ Advertisement

My car aircon is not cooling again on 21/3/2014, about a month since the gas top-up at Hawk Tayar.

Decided to go to Mark Cool [Ah Huat] for another top-up. Gas + oil = S$30. About 15 mins job. I was impressed that he use an aircon charging unit attached via 2 aircon hoses to the car. There was a vacuuming stage, which when completed triggered an alarm, so that Ah Huat can come over [working on another car] to press some control button to charge in the gas/oil. Again, let hope the gas top-up can last longer.

I tot oredi suspected some leaking somewhere, how come Ah Huat din diagnose n do the repair but only top up gas + oil which wasted $30 n most likely nid to go back again to do the repair [confused]

Supercharged

The evaporator coil was "suspected" to be leaking, as per my post #11 [copied some info below]. I hope that the gas top-up [Mark Cool] would last longer [just like Mar2013 to Feb2014], otherwise there would be a big hole in my wallet.

I saw Ah Huat working on another vehicle, with the dashboard removed, all the internals [wirings, tubings, etc...] dangling. My heart pains to see my ride going for similar "operation".

Background info :

Recently my car aircon was suddenly not cooling after a long drive. I remembered the same problem was resolved after top-up aircon gas in Mar2013. At that time, a mechanic had advised that the evaporator coil may be leaking, and need to remove the dashboard to replace the evaporator coil. Estimated costs S$800~S$900. He offered to top-up gas and monitor.

Since the top-up gas can last from Mar2013 to Feb2014, the leaks may not be very critical. I am prepared to top-up gas instead of major repair [remove dashboard [bigcry] ].

If really its a evaporator (cooling) coil problem, usually it can be resolved by topping up gas, but it is not a permanent solution. Soon, you find you need to top up the gas in a shorter time, that is the signal that the coil is gone case liao. Then its better you change the coil completely, don't waste money to top-up anymore gas.

Removal of dash is not necessary for some vehicles. Some car models can remove the coil from below the dash (below glove compartment). An expert aircon mechanic would know if require to remove the dash or not. If no need to remove dash then it is cheaper and repairs are faster done.

I tot oredi suspected some leaking somewhere, how come Ah Huat din diagnose n do the repair but only top up gas + oil which wasted $30 n most likely nid to go back again to do the repair [confused]

This case is NOT Ah Huat fault.

I explained that evaporator suspected leaking, previous time top-up last almost a year. I did not mentioned about the recent top-up in Feb2014. And I also explained my unwillingness to repair leaks as my ride is due for scrap in Nov2016. I will only go for repair leaks only as a last resort in this circumstances. My decision would be different if my ride is only 3-4 years old.

That's more than 2 and a half years before scrap. Suggest you just bite the bullet and change the cooling coil if you plan to drive until scrap, at least fully utilise the investment.

Sooner or later you will find yourself topping up the gas very often, which is pointless.

Let me do a calculation for you.

If every 3 weeks you have to top up and topping up cost $20 each time,

In a year (48 weeks), you will be spending $20 x 16 = $320.

You have 2 year 8 mths to go before scrapping, so you will be spending almost $840 for topping up.

That's not including the hassle and time to drive the car down to a aircon workshop.

Lastly, not forgetting that the cooling coil is inside the cabin and gas is leaking from there.

Edited by Fcw75
  • Praise 1

Supercharged

That's more than 2 and a half years before scrap. Suggest you just bite the bullet and change the cooling coil if you plan to drive until scap, at least fully utilise the investment.

Sooner or later you will find yourself topping up the gas very often, which is pointless.

Yes, that was what I tot too.

The sooner you change it, the more worthwhile your cost of repair would be.

• Praise 1

I have always done my servicing in JB at Speed Marks in Taman Perling. They have another branch in Larkin. This is my 3rd car and my current Altis have been servicing there since after the so called free servicing by AD. So far so good as I will purchase all the necessary parts for them. I just pay labour cost.

Bros Fcw75 & TVT,

You are both right, and I fully agree.

If the Markcool top-up is able to last 1yr, then I am happy.

If not, somehow the leaks had worsen lately, and the aircon is not cooling in the few days/weeks, then the last resort is to repair the leaks. Can only hope for the best outcome. I am mentally prepared as previously gone through all the available options.

Bros Fcw75 & TVT,

You are both right, and I fully agree.

If the Markcool top-up is able to last 1yr, then I am happy.

If not, somehow the leaks had worsen lately, and the aircon is not cooling in the few days/weeks, then the last resort is to repair the leaks. Can only hope for the best outcome. I am mentally prepared as previously gone through all the available options.

Based on Ah Huat expertise, he would be able to advise u how long the top up would last. Also, u mentioned the last top up at Hawk Tayar only last abt a month. Either they only top up little bit or the leaks have worsen......

Neutral Newbie

There are many good JB workshops around which would yield significant savings if you go to the right ones.

EPlus Tyres & Batteries is not one of them and I found out the hard way.
No. 12, Jalan Sutera 2, Taman Sentosa, Johor Bahru, 80150, Johor Bahru, Johor

Malaysia

However, most reliable and honest workshops are always packed and calling in/ prior booking would be necessary.

I just made a stupid mistake of going to a walk in kind-of workshop as my regular wksp was packed. To cut the story short, he installed my dust cover inverted resulting in knocking sound which he claims is a faulty shock absorber (BNIB).

I then spent days to dig up the repair manual and troubleshoot myself. When I showed the manual to the boss, he insisted that this is his way of installing and I should scoot off to the AD to fix if I want it done my way.

After refusing to budge and making a din, he relented and wanted to charge me labor if my way of fixing does not solve the problem.

In the end, he kept quiet after the re-installation. Really a waste of time and effort!

Rant completed.

There are many good JB workshops around which would yield significant savings if you go to the right ones.

Malaysia

However, most reliable and honest workshops are always packed and calling in/ prior booking would be necessary.

I just made a stupid mistake of going to a walk in kind-of workshop as my regular wksp was packed. To cut the story short, he installed my dust cover inverted resulting in knocking sound which he claims is a faulty shock absorber (BNIB).

I then spent days to dig up the repair manual and troubleshoot myself. When I showed the manual to the boss, he insisted that this is his way of installing and I should scoot off to the AD to fix if I want it done my way.

After refusing to budge and making a din, he relented and wanted to charge me labor if my way of fixing does not solve the problem.

In the end, he kept quiet after the re-installation. Really a waste of time and effort!

Rant completed.

What is this dust cover ?

Hi,

Everyone knows that we could have huge saving on regular car servicing and or maintenance job in JB, but i know not many drivers are taking the risk.

So what is your concern?

1. not familiar with the route to the workshop?

2. not familiar with the local charges for the repair job?

3. not familiar with the mechanic in the workshop there?

4. not sure if the replacement parts used is original?

5. and many many concerns...

would you opt for sending your car to JB for repairs if you found a

trustworthy workshop that could answer your concerns?

Ive been using JB ws a few years already. No issues. Just make sure u find a good ws with well trained n experienced mechs n ty r honest.

Not easy to find but I found after about a year searching as there also many dishonest mechs waiting to chop SG plate cars.

I wil buy my own original or OEM parts in SG n bring there fr them to fix only. I always stand around when ty do my car so I can see what ty r doing at all times.

I dun trust the quality of Msia parts as many very good imitations n fake parts sold there.

Exactly.

A few months back I change a headlight bulb in JB. It is just a normal halogen bulb. It cost me RM48 !!! The same bulb in a normal WS in SG cost only SGD18. If the exchange rate is 2.60, then its almost the same price. But if exchange rate falls, it becomes more expensive.

Some AD in JB, they also don't allow you to enter their WS....

Normal halogen bulb H4 or H7 abt S$6-10 each only unless those high power like Philips Vision Plus, Diamond Vision etc.

I usually change DIY.

Hi All,

Recently my car - Toyota Camry 2005 (Manufacturing at year End) radiator leaks, and thinking to replace with new rather than just repairing.

I checked on the replacement cost as below finding -

- Singapore Toyota Svcs Centre quoted $2000++...

- Malaysia Toyota Authorized Dealer Quoted RM 1500.00.

Any comments and better recommendations please feel free to advise.. Thks

I had my Optra radiator fixed a small leak at the top join for abt RM300 plus incl labour to remove n install the rad.

Still repair sud b much cheaper than a new rad cos ty r very expensive.

Malaysia

Rant completed.

in JB as in singapore there's always con shops or simply bad workshops.

need to go in with your eyes open lor

Supercharged

Normal halogen bulb H4 or H7 abt S$6-10 each only unless those high power like Philips Vision Plus, Diamond Vision etc.

I usually change DIY.

I go change headlight bulb, the mechanic will do for me, and all included in the price, so maybe the $18 includes the labour as well.

I'm not good at DIY car parts, so if its not too expensive, I rather get the mechanic to do it.

I wil buy my own original or OEM parts in SG n bring there fr them to fix only. I always stand around when ty do my car so I can see what ty r doing at all times.

Yes, me too. Always watch the mechanic do it.....even for a simple job like change headlight bulb or pump the tyre !

I go change headlight bulb, the mechanic will do for me, and all included in the price, so maybe the $18 includes the labour as well.

I'm not good at DIY car parts, so if its not too expensive, I rather get the mechanic to do it.

Yes, me too. Always watch the mechanic do it.....even for a simple job like change headlight bulb or pump the tyre !

I wil sometimes "help" the mech in JB repair my car. He see I know quite a lot about car repair so he wun try to pull a fast one n cheat me cos I am watching him closely.

in JB as in singapore there's always con shops or simply bad workshops.

need to go in with your eyes open lor

Many lousy ws depend on cheating their customers to survive cos ty know many drivers dun know nuts about their cars n very easy to cheat them.

All my last 3 cars r service at jb workshop. Ard 5 yrs already.

My frequent workshop is Soon Fong inside taman sentosa, along the shop houses to The Store.

Of course I got super good prices from them since regular. Still I watch them do everytime...must b careful

↡ Advertisement