• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
96 replies to this topic | 307 praises

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:32 AM

Soya
  • Soya
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Parked some in unit trusts ard 3 years back but find the returns quite CMI - average onli ard 3%. Juz curious if any bros got good tips on what to invest in wif ur surplus SRS funds?  [gossip]

Jamesc praised this

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:34 AM

Jman888
  • Jman888

Parked some in unit trusts ard 3 years back but find the returns quite CMI - average onli ard 3%. Juz curious if any bros got good tips on what to invest in wif ur surplus SRS funds?  [gossip]

got return still complaint, most of my funds are in negative  [laugh]  [laugh]

骑白马的不一定是王 ,可能是唐僧;带翅膀的也不一定是天使,有时候是鸟人。

Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:21 PM

Soya
  • Soya
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

got return still complaint, most of my funds are in negative  [laugh]  [laugh]

maybe tell us wat u invest instead. we all avoid...... [lipsrsealed]  [laugh]  [laugh]

Edited by Soya, 04 March 2014 - 01:22 PM.

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:16 PM

LiuDeHua
  • Premium member
    LiuDeHua
    4th Gear
    Author Image

Buy high dividend stocks like SPH and SGX?

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:40 PM

D_bergkam
  • Premium member
    D_bergkam
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

I am rather conservative.

Park in a structured deposit with OCBC at 1.4% p.a. for 6 years.

:huh:

Come On You Gunners

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:54 PM

Kurty
  • Premium member
    Kurty
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

hey, SRS again..

was told that this SRS could also relief income tax..

correct me if i'm wrong, my colleague told me that each year, can contribute to SRS up to limit of 10K.

This SRS acts as a retirement plan while on the other hand, it can be use for investment/stock purchases.

The best is it can be used to relief income tax..

am i on the right track?

bluey Tiko Ranger

I have a pen, I have an apple..

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:00 PM

D_bergkam
  • Premium member
    D_bergkam
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

Correct.

But contribution limit is $12,750 per year.

Come On You Gunners

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:02 PM

Tigerwoods
  • Premium member
    Tigerwoods
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

try USA stocks. 

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:23 PM

Sabian
  • Sabian
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

SRS is good for holding boring undervalued stocks that are in businesses you understand (not you think understand) that have a long track record paying decent dividends.

Albeniz praised this

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:30 PM

Kurty
  • Premium member
    Kurty
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Correct.

But contribution limit is $12,750 per year.

can we cash out the SRS when in dire?

bluey Tiko Ranger

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:34 PM

Soya
  • Soya
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

hey, SRS again..

was told that this SRS could also relief income tax..

correct me if i'm wrong, my colleague told me that each year, can contribute to SRS up to limit of 10K.

This SRS acts as a retirement plan while on the other hand, it can be use for investment/stock purchases.

The best is it can be used to relief income tax..

am i on the right track?

Max contribution is $12,750/yr. The income tax relief itself is a good reason to put money into SRS. The few k saved in tax is as good as a few k 'earned' (itself considered a pretty good ROI actualli).  [;)]

try USA stocks. 

u sure SRS can use to buy US stocks? the reason i asked the qn to begin wif is that i find the approved investment channels for SRS a bit restrictive. 

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:40 PM

Spanly
  • Premium member
    Spanly
    5th Gear
    Author Image

3% seems pretty decent considering that you've also gained from the tax saving...

Mine didn't do too well with one(Emerging Mkt Bonds) at -ve & the other(Asian High Yield) at slight +ve... so overall flat  <_<

Got recommendation fr relationship mgr to take a look at the Europe or US Equity funds.

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:46 PM

Soya
  • Soya
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

3% seems pretty decent considering that you've also gained from the tax saving...

Mine didn't do too well with one(Emerging Mkt Bonds) at -ve & the other(Asian High Yield) at slight +ve... so overall flat  <_<

Got recommendation fr relationship mgr to take a look at the Europe or US Equity funds.

Bought into the Templeton Global Fund - it's slow but steady. Now that equities mkt is down, thinking maybe taking a dip into some blue chips or STI ETF to save the headache. Any views on ETF?  [gossip]

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:07 PM

Tigerwoods
  • Premium member
    Tigerwoods
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Max contribution is $12,750/yr. The income tax relief itself is a good reason to put money into SRS. The few k saved in tax is as good as a few k 'earned' (itself considered a pretty good ROI actualli).  [;)]

u sure SRS can use to buy US stocks? the reason i asked the qn to begin wif is that i find the approved investment channels for SRS a bit restrictive. 

No lah, I say put some money down to open account in USA to trade.

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:17 PM

Spanly
  • Premium member
    Spanly
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Bought into the Templeton Global Fund - it's slow but steady. Now that equities mkt is down, thinking maybe taking a dip into some blue chips or STI ETF to save the headache. Any views on ETF?  [gossip]

I've brought this Templeton Global Balance Fund too many years back... with cash though.

Have read about ETFs but not go into them. For blue chips, my fav is ST Engr. Decent dividend & potential upside with the recent correction.

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:36 PM

Icu
  • Icu
    6th Gear
    Author Image

No lah, I say put some money down to open account in USA to trade.

you mean cash?  US market relatively more volatile but you need to watch the duties, capital tax closely, especially the forex rate.

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:14 PM

Kurty
  • Premium member
    Kurty
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

i support STI ETF, i went in when STI was 1700 and sold off when it hit 3400.

so my earning was actually double.

but i only a peanut..plus i do dollar averaging that time.. 

its a good portfolio but not at this present moment.

bluey Tiko Ranger

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:35 PM

Kurty
  • Premium member
    Kurty
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

sorry, wanna ask about the SRS.

if i made a yearly contribution of 2K, am i correct to say my tax relief on SRS is 2K too?

or is there a % only?

I'm rather confused as the website didn't mention any % of relief

http://www.iras.gov....04.aspx?id=1168

while some reader actually wrote a yield of 9.6%; nutshell : a contribution of $11,475 to your SRS account brings about a tax saving of $1,096. This is a yield of 9.6%

bluey Tiko Ranger

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:43 PM

Voodooman
  • Voodooman
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

SRS is good for holding boring undervalued stocks that are in businesses you understand (not you think understand) that have a long track record paying decent dividends.

You can't withdraw the dividend without being taxed, so SRS should be used for long term investment. I use it to buy highly cyclical undervalued stocks with little dividend (shipping for example) as the monies is supposed to be stuck in there till the official retirement age to maximize on the tax benefits.

sorry, wanna ask about the SRS.

if i made a yearly contribution of 2K, am i correct to say my tax relief on SRS is 2K too?
or is there a % only?

I'm rather confused as the website didn't mention any % of relief
http://www.iras.gov....04.aspx?id=1168

while some reader actually wrote a yield of 9.6%; nutshell : a contribution of $11,475 to your SRS account brings about a tax saving of $1,096. This is a yield of 9.6%

Read this.

http://app.mof.gov.s...t - 18Feb11.doc
Icu praised this

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:56 PM

Thaiyotakamli
  • Premium member
    Thaiyotakamli
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

when rupiah hit 9550, i changed some and put it into one year fixed deposit in a safe local bank in Indonesia yielding 6% p.a

Now rupiah around 92xx :D

Edited by Thaiyotakamli, 04 March 2014 - 10:56 PM.

Dont get confused between my personality & my attitude...

My personality is who I am...

My attitude depends on who you are...

Back to Investment & Financial Matters  ·  Non-Car Related Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

Tags: investment, invest, srs, cpf and 2 more...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users