SRS - what to invest in?

Supersonic

Parked some in unit trusts ard 3 years back but find the returns quite CMI - average onli ard 3%. Juz curious if any bros got good tips on what to invest in wif ur surplus SRS funds? [gossip]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Parked some in unit trusts ard 3 years back but find the returns quite CMI - average onli ard 3%. Juz curious if any bros got good tips on what to invest in wif ur surplus SRS funds? [gossip]

got return still complaint, most of my funds are in negative [laugh][laugh]

Supersonic
(edited)

got return still complaint, most of my funds are in negative [laugh][laugh]

maybe tell us wat u invest instead. we all avoid...... [lipsrsealed][laugh][laugh]

Edited by Soya

Supercharged

hey, SRS again..

was told that this SRS could also relief income tax..

correct me if i'm wrong, my colleague told me that each year, can contribute to SRS up to limit of 10K.

This SRS acts as a retirement plan while on the other hand, it can be use for investment/stock purchases.

The best is it can be used to relief income tax..

am i on the right track?

try USA stocks.

Turbocharged

SRS is good for holding boring undervalued stocks that are in businesses you understand (not you think understand) that have a long track record paying decent dividends.

• Praise 1

Supercharged

Correct.

But contribution limit is $12,750 per year.

can we cash out the SRS when in dire?

Supersonic

hey, SRS again..

was told that this SRS could also relief income tax..

correct me if i'm wrong, my colleague told me that each year, can contribute to SRS up to limit of 10K.

This SRS acts as a retirement plan while on the other hand, it can be use for investment/stock purchases.

The best is it can be used to relief income tax..

am i on the right track?

Max contribution is $12,750/yr. The income tax relief itself is a good reason to put money into SRS. The few k saved in tax is as good as a few k 'earned' (itself considered a pretty good ROI actualli). [;)]

try USA stocks.

u sure SRS can use to buy US stocks? the reason i asked the qn to begin wif is that i find the approved investment channels for SRS a bit restrictive.

3% seems pretty decent considering that you've also gained from the tax saving...

Mine didn't do too well with one(Emerging Mkt Bonds) at -ve & the other(Asian High Yield) at slight +ve... so overall flat <_<

Got recommendation fr relationship mgr to take a look at the Europe or US Equity funds.

Supersonic

3% seems pretty decent considering that you've also gained from the tax saving...

Mine didn't do too well with one(Emerging Mkt Bonds) at -ve & the other(Asian High Yield) at slight +ve... so overall flat <_<

Got recommendation fr relationship mgr to take a look at the Europe or US Equity funds.

Bought into the Templeton Global Fund - it's slow but steady. Now that equities mkt is down, thinking maybe taking a dip into some blue chips or STI ETF to save the headache. Any views on ETF? [gossip]

Max contribution is $12,750/yr. The income tax relief itself is a good reason to put money into SRS. The few k saved in tax is as good as a few k 'earned' (itself considered a pretty good ROI actualli). [;)]

u sure SRS can use to buy US stocks? the reason i asked the qn to begin wif is that i find the approved investment channels for SRS a bit restrictive.

No lah, I say put some money down to open account in USA to trade.

Bought into the Templeton Global Fund - it's slow but steady. Now that equities mkt is down, thinking maybe taking a dip into some blue chips or STI ETF to save the headache. Any views on ETF? [gossip]

I've brought this Templeton Global Balance Fund too many years back... with cash though.

Have read about ETFs but not go into them. For blue chips, my fav is ST Engr. Decent dividend & potential upside with the recent correction.

No lah, I say put some money down to open account in USA to trade.

you mean cash? US market relatively more volatile but you need to watch the duties, capital tax closely, especially the forex rate.

Supercharged

i support STI ETF, i went in when STI was 1700 and sold off when it hit 3400.

so my earning was actually double.

but i only a peanut..plus i do dollar averaging that time..

its a good portfolio but not at this present moment.

Supercharged

sorry, wanna ask about the SRS.

if i made a yearly contribution of 2K, am i correct to say my tax relief on SRS is 2K too?

or is there a % only?

I'm rather confused as the website didn't mention any % of relief

http://www.iras.gov.sg/irasHome/page04.aspx?id=1168

while some reader actually wrote a yield of 9.6%; nutshell : a contribution of $11,475 to your SRS account brings about a tax saving of $1,096. This is a yield of 9.6%

↡ Advertisement