Charged over accident insurance scam

Jman888

Plse put these people away...

Like the bloody road tax isnt hig enough, insurance companies still try to load premium on the general public due to as$holes like these

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

War on motor claims bear fruit
Lim Yi Han | MyPaper | Wednesday, Mar 19, 2014
SINGAPORE - The war on fake motor-insurance claims appears to be paying off. Last year, insurers in this sector made their smallest payout in five years.
Things may get even better for them as they are lobbying for a specific law against insurance fraud to deter tricksters.
Last year, insurers in the sector paid $712.4 million in claims, $29.7 million less than the $742.1 million the previous year. This is the lowest payout in five years, said the General Insurance Association of Singapore (GIA) at its annual results briefing yesterday.
Reason? Measures to tackle inflated or fraudulent claims, such as its Motor Claims Framework, are taking effect.
Implemented in 2008, the scheme requires motorists to inform insurers of accidents within 24 hours and makes it mandatory for insurers to conduct pre-repair inspections.
Mr Derek Teo, executive director of GIA, said: "It's now more embraced by motorists. In the beginning, motorists were not so used to it so not many adhered to it."
He added: "Timely reporting gives insurers a better chance to investigate."
Inspections by third-party insurers before the repair works start also cut down the chances of cheating and inflated claims.
The association asked the Monetary Authority of Singapore last month for a law aimed specifically at insurance fraud.
Earlier this month, nine men were charged with cheating over an allegedly staged road accident, which saw them claim more than $83,000 in insurance.
Mr Teo said: "If people know that there is a fraud law staring at them in the face, they will think twice before making false claims."
Insurers are taking their own steps to smoke out cheats.
Mr Luiz Campos, chief executive of Liberty Insurance Singapore, said the company set up an investigation unit to look into fraud cases since 2010, and it has been "effective".
AXA Insurance Singapore set up an investigation unit last year. It has already uncovered some cases which have been handed over to the authorities.
NTUC Income has implemented several layers of checks and has its own "fraud indicator". One red flag would be those who make repeated or multiple claims to the company or other insurers.
In general, the motor-insurance sector saw a rise in profits last year, though the average premium collected for motor insurance dipped slightly.
The average motor premium collected last year was $1,250, down from $1,280 in 2012. GIA attributed the decrease to less registration of new cars and more insurers in the marketplace.
In total, the motor-insurance sector collected $1.22 billion in gross premiums last year, a 2 per cent drop from 2012.
On the whole, Singapore's domestic general insurance industry grew 4.5 per cent to $3.5 billion in total gross premiums last year.
GIA president A. K. Cher said this reflects a "stable and sustainable insurance market and growth that is in tandem with the growth of the economy".
Referring to the motor-insurance sector, the major line of business, he added: "We will continue to work with our various stakeholders to ensure that motor claims are effectively managed and premiums continue to stabilise."

19 people charged over motor insurance scam
PUBLISHED ON DEC 5, 2014
Collage0512e.jpg
Nineteen people were charged in a district court on Friday with conspiracy to cheat insurance companies in a motor insurance scam. Among them were (from left) Su Chia Ern, who chalked up the most charges, and a couple, Godfrey Liew Kok Hon and his Chinese national wife, You Baolan. -- ST PHOTOS: WONG KWAI CHOW
BY ELENA CHONG
SINGAPORE - Nineteen people, including two women, were charged in a district court on Friday with conspiracy to cheat insurance companies in a motor insurance scam.
They faced between one and 28 charges each.
Su Chia Ern, 44, who chalked up the most charges, is accused of scheming with several people to cheat NTUC and Tenet Insurance into making payments for third party property damage claims and bodily injury claims in 2008 and 2009.
In all, he is alleged to have deceived the two companies into paying a total of almost $270,000 in eight purported accidents. The amounts deceived ranged from $1,400 to $39,663.
Among those charged were a couple, Godfrey Liew Kok Hon, 39, and his Chinese national wife, You Baolan, 26, who is a Singapore permanent resident.
Liew allegedly conspired with Su, Pan Weida Pepin, 31, and Tan Eng Chui, 42, to defraud NTUC by submitting his particulars as the driver of a car which was involved in an accident with another car. Through his false submission, he induced NTUC into paying a total of $23,584 in three claims.
You faces one charge of dishonestly inducing NTUC to process a third party bodily injury claim of $21,795 by lying that she was a passenger in her husband's car at the time of the accident along Upper Thomson Road on April 22, 2009.
Pan and Tan face 16 and two charges respectively.
All the cases have either been fixed for a pre-trial conference on Jan 15 or adjourned to another day.
If convicted, each accused can be jailed for up to 10 years and/or fined for abetting in a conspiracy to cheat.

• Praise 2

Maybe they can come up with some other ideas. But there are always loopholes for people to play around. Gets sickening ... How about a department where by they have a panel of workshops, a panel of doctors and a panel of law firms? Whoever kena accident go to this dept and report den assign to the workshop. Those who claim got injury send them to appointed doctors and den to the law firm. All under one umbrella.

Come to think of it... heng 2008 I still not in this line... bobi bobi.....

Edited by Y0shimi

Maybe they can come up with some other ideas. But there are always loopholes for people to play around. Gets sickening ... How about a department where by they have a panel of workshops, a panel of doctors and a panel of law firms? Whoever kena accident go to this dept and report den assign to the workshop. Those who claim got injury send them to appointed doctors and den to the law firm. All under one umbrella.

Come to think of it... heng 2008 I still not in this line... bobi bobi.....

remember IDAC ?

remember IDAC ?

IDAC only reporting ma. Alleged victims still go all over the island to diff workshops which might brainwash them or lure them with $$$$ resulting in scam & fraud

Excellent, they should make minimum sentence 1 year jail for filing a false statement, this will weed out all those who lie in their submissions. I will hope for the death sentence but that will probably be too extreme.

Social leeches is what they are.

Edited by Iisterry
  • Praise 2

More cases of motor insurance fraud reported as police and insurers intensify efforts

Tell-tale signs of fraud that insurers look out for include multi-vehicle staged collisions, gross exaggeration of injuries and unusually large claims for simple accidents.

The GIA Motor Claims Framework , implemented by all motor insurers, also helps to reduce the likelihood of fraud by ensuring clear standards and prompt reporting of accidents within 24 hours.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/more-cases-of-motor-insurance-fraud-reported-as-police-and-insurers-intensify-efforts

• Praise 1

Please remember and save this number.

1800 4437283 - to report insurance fraud.

This is just incase anyone come across or suspect any insurance fraud, can quickly call this number to report it.

Alternatively can report insurance fraud online.

http://gia.org.sg/public%20type%20motor/report-fraud.html

Edited by Yewheng

Actually, this kind of fraud, could be a blessing to the victim too.

I never knew the whole story lor. Insurance wouldn't tell you there is a scam lor.  They just said courts case lor 

It is very important to report the accident by best effort lor.

I was involved in a 6 cars chained collision lor.  Third car.

-The first second drivers infront talk as if they knew each other lor.

-All drivers including me exchanged particulars except the 2 infront.

-Infront no car, why jammed brake.  Of course, I admitted fault as I did not keep safety distance.

-They rushed off before TP and Orange Force reached site lor.  What's the hurry anyway.

The accessed damage is 18K, but they tried to claim 39K lor.

So Income informed me, it is a courts case lor and they released me from all liability lor.

Income BEST !!

I am not sure how much premium I will be paying if 39K is successfully lor ......

Details very important.  I recorded in my IDAC report that first second refused to provide particulars when requested lor.  As stated in the GIA General Insurance Framework lor .....

• Praise 2

Supercharged

Just another of the many still in operational. When the workshop representive of one of the accident car appear in 5mins you know what happened. Even authority ask you to shut up and not accuse anyone.

↡ Advertisement