Pls advice - brake light n rear tail lights remain on

SGCMmadman

Reached home n wen switched off lights, a/c, radio den engine, realised brake light n rear taillights still on n cant be switched off. Plsssss advice wat to do coz if lights remain on whole nite, battery sure flat. Car is hyundai verna 06 auto. Thks

↡ Advertisement

Remove battery or remove fuse.

Check manual for the correct one.

My friend Hyundai once had this problem also.

Battery drained overnight.

Quick fix for $50 or so.

Was advised to disconnect negative connector to battery n tat worked. Morning will drive to workshop. Hope no problem wen connect back n hope car can start. Thks

Supersonic
(edited)

Reached home n wen switched off lights, a/c, radio den engine, realised brake light n rear taillights still on n cant be switched off. Plsssss advice wat to do coz if lights remain on whole nite, battery sure flat. Car is hyundai verna 06 auto. Thks

Usually, the plastic pressing the brake switch is broken.

When it can't press the brake switch, the brake light is always on.

Look for the brake switch. You would see a missing plastic piece.

Put something like 4 mm thick piece of plastic there, taped it up, to press the switch, then the light will go out.

Edited by Kb27

Supercharged

Usually, the plastic pressing the brake switch is broken.

When it can't press the brake switch, the brake light is always on.

Brake switch can DIY to replace it or not ?

hmm... is this a common problem?

Suppose so for Hyundai cars, my kena too, my mechanic do it for free, takes around 1 minute to rectify.

Supercharged

Suppose so for Hyundai cars, my kena too, my mechanic do it for free, takes around 1 minute to rectify.

what was the cause? faulty electronics?

what was the resolution?

I am curious, cos i am also driving the same model.

look upwards at the pedal area, u might find a rubber plug disintegrating which is supposed to prevent metal contact with brake pedal, replace that

• Praise 1

what was the cause? faulty electronics?

what was the resolution?

I am curious, cos i am also driving the same model.

The plastic rubber thats suppose to activate the brake lights worn off after several years of usage. Brake up turn on all the way even when driving, have to disconnect the batt when parking at home.

Mechanic bend certain part of the foot brake paddle so that it can disengage the brake light when it's not engage.

• Praise 1

Jason at auto101 managed to solve problem by tightening sum spring near pedal at no cost in few mins. Thks for all replies.

Supercharged

Just happened to me 2 weeks ago.. the brake lights and 3rd brake light dont turn off... found out that there is a rubber plug on the brake pedal which is suppose to be pressing on the brake light switch when the pedal is depressed breaks and dropped off... i just make a hole on the original rubber (lucky found on my floorboard) and use cable tie to secure back to the pedal... zero dollar fix but neck breaking...

Supercharged

Just happened to me 2 weeks ago.. the brake lights and 3rd brake light dont turn off... found out that there is a rubber plug on the brake pedal which is suppose to be pressing on the brake light switch when the pedal is depressed breaks and dropped off... i just make a hole on the original rubber (lucky found on my floorboard) and use cable tie to secure back to the pedal... zero dollar fix but neck breaking...

behold the power of cable tie!!

Supersonic
(edited)

Brake switch can DIY to replace it or not ?

Yes you can. Need to pull the plastic connector out.

Remove the brake switch, and any nuts holding it down.

hmm... is this a common problem?

I've seen this happened on a few cars, Vios, City, Getz, Sunny, Matrix.

The problem happened usually to older cars.

After long usage and probably people letting go of the brake too fast, the pedal slams the switch on the plastic stopper repeatedly.

One day the plastic just cracks and dropped off.

You will see bits and pieces of it on the ground.

Then the brake lights remain on all the time.

Edited by Kb27