Australia : Road trip -- from Syndey to Melbourne (& back?)

Riverfish

I just came back from the trip and thought I should give an update.

The bros here were right: even my much simplified itinerary proved a bit too much for my group that includes 3 kids. They were oblivious to the beautiful sceneries along the way, and kept asking how much longer it would take to reach the hotel, every single minute.:( It took ages for the kids to be fed and dressed before the whole group could finally got onto the car and set off, and it started to get dark as early as 4:30pm so days were really short. I swear I'll never bring any kids along for long trips again! Not until they are all at least 8!

Anyway, the blue mountain on the first day was quite a disappointment due to the heavy fog, and the next day the fog cleared a bit so we could finally see what the "three sisters" looked alike. Having seeing Jiuzhaigou and Huangshan in China, the mountain scenery was pretty ordinary to me. The great ocean road was pretty good, though. Nice weather, good scenery, interesting drive.

I liked Melbourne a lot more than Sydney. In as short as 3 days that I spent in Sydney, I encountered two occurrences of harassment against Asians, once against us from Caucasian teenagers, and the other against an Asian girl from a young white couple. Things were more expensive there, and roads were crowded. Melbourne seemed to be more diverse and friendly to different races and cultures. Coupled that with fantastic natural environment and great food I almost wanted to stay there for good!

↡ Advertisement

We too came back last week after a 5 day drive around the Blue Mountains and Hunter Valley (and 3 days in Sydney).

Fortunately the foggy weather only hit us on the 3rd day, and combined with an accident causing a tailback to Blackheath, we had to abandon our trip around the Bells Line. Still managed to get across Wisemans Ferry and lots of farm and back roads to Cessnock.

One thing I learnt on this, a 2.5L Hyundai IMax is really spacious (much better than an Alphard) but bad for attacking mountain roads (Alphard was much better in the hills of Hokkaido )

BTW, This would be our 7th road trip with our kids (and the 3rd time with all 4) ages 10,8,6 years and 22 months. Incidentally, the first major road trip for us (outside of Malaysia) was a Melbourne-Sydney Winter drive in 2008.

The key is to break up each long journey into short 45-90 minutes and getting them involved in the photoshoots (we print instax photos at the end of the day and they draw and write journal entries about their day). And if the journey gets boring and repetitive, Smart Phones and tablets work too.

AND with Military precision (much needed when there are only 2 adults), the kids are used to starting each long driving day by waking at 7am, packing after themselves and helping with some chores (setting tables, clearing dishes, putting out the garbage...) So we can get leaving at 830am (bags loaded at 820, final room inspection at 825)...leaving plenty of time for photo / snack / toilet breaks... And the occasional picnic in the park.

Same pattern works for our usual drives in Japan (4 times now).

We too came back last week after a 5 day drive around the Blue Mountains and Hunter Valley (and 3 days in Sydney).

Fortunately the foggy weather only hit us on the 3rd day, and combined with an accident causing a tailback to Blackheath, we had to abandon our trip around the Bells Line. Still managed to get across Wisemans Ferry and lots of farm and back roads to Cessnock.

One thing I learnt on this, a 2.5L Hyundai IMax is really spacious (much better than an Alphard) but bad for attacking mountain roads (Alphard was much better in the hills of Hokkaido )

BTW, This would be our 7th road trip with our kids (and the 3rd time with all 4) ages 10,8,6 years and 22 months. Incidentally, the first major road trip for us (outside of Malaysia) was a Melbourne-Sydney Winter drive in 2008.

The key is to break up each long journey into short 45-90 minutes and getting them involved in the photoshoots (we print instax photos at the end of the day and they draw and write journal entries about their day). And if the journey gets boring and repetitive, Smart Phones and tablets work too.

AND with Military precision (much needed when there are only 2 adults), the kids are used to starting each long driving day by waking at 7am, packing after themselves and helping with some chores (setting tables, clearing dishes, putting out the garbage...) So we can get leaving at 830am (bags loaded at 820, final room inspection at 825)...leaving plenty of time for photo / snack / toilet breaks... And the occasional picnic in the park.

Same pattern works for our usual drives in Japan (4 times now).

Guess I have to learn from you in the kids discipline department.:)

I rented an MPV in both Sydney and Melbourne airports. Incidentally both turn out to be a Kia Grand Carnival. Not sure about the engine capacity but it was very spacious too. No problem for 8 adults to be seated comfortably plus boot space that accomodated our 3 luggages and 2 prams.

To me the car was clearly designed for highway cruising, but the acceleration pedal was so sensitive (to me who's been used to a 1.6L car) that for a few times the front wheels skidded when I stepped on the gas. I had to be really gentle with the pedal and remain in that position throughout my drive that my right foot almost cramped. It took me quite a while for me to get used to its cornering though. I had to really slow down the car at any turns. And not sure if it was due to the car itself or my driving, people seated at the 3rd row somewhat experienced carsickness, especially after the part of Great Ocean road that winds through the forest.

I just came back from the trip and thought I should give an update.

The bros here were right: even my much simplified itinerary proved a bit too much for my group that includes 3 kids. They were oblivious to the beautiful sceneries along the way, and kept asking how much longer it would take to reach the hotel, every single minute.:( It took ages for the kids to be fed and dressed before the whole group could finally got onto the car and set off, and it started to get dark as early as 4:30pm so days were really short. I swear I'll never bring any kids along for long trips again! Not until they are all at least 8!

Anyway, the blue mountain on the first day was quite a disappointment due to the heavy fog, and the next day the fog cleared a bit so we could finally see what the "three sisters" looked alike. Having seeing Jiuzhaigou and Huangshan in China, the mountain scenery was pretty ordinary to me. The great ocean road was pretty good, though. Nice weather, good scenery, interesting drive.

I liked Melbourne a lot more than Sydney. In as short as 3 days that I spent in Sydney, I encountered two occurrences of harassment against Asians, once against us from Caucasian teenagers, and the other against an Asian girl from a young white couple. Things were more expensive there, and roads were crowded. Melbourne seemed to be more diverse and friendly to different races and cultures. Coupled that with fantastic natural environment and great food I almost wanted to stay there for good!

glad you made it back safely :D

i dun really like Sydney a cold cosmo city compared to a more warm cultural city of Melbourne.

I rented an MPV in both Sydney and Melbourne airports. Incidentally both turn out to be a Kia Grand Carnival. Not sure about the engine capacity but it was very spacious too. No problem for 8 adults to be seated comfortably plus boot space that accomodated our 3 luggages and 2 prams.

To me the car was clearly designed for highway cruising, but the acceleration pedal was so sensitive (to me who's been used to a 1.6L car) that for a few times the front wheels skidded when I stepped on the gas. I had to be really gentle with the pedal and remain in that position throughout my drive that my right foot almost cramped. It took me quite a while for me to get used to its cornering though. I had to really slow down the car at any turns. And not sure if it was due to the car itself or my driving, people seated at the 3rd row somewhat experienced carsickness, especially after the part of Great Ocean road that winds through the forest.

All MPVs (except Sharan and S-Max) are pretty slow compared to my daily drive, and the iMax couldn't spin a wheel even if the floor was wet.

But with the 3rd row in feont of the rear axle (similar to Alphard) my kids at the back never complained. With their eyes usually glued to their phones, they were too used to road trips and be it up and down Cameron Highlands or some mountains in Japan, carsickness has never been an issue. My only complain is that they are usually too lazy to get out, stretch and take photos with their parents.

Kia Carnival should be 2.5l, possibly same drivetrain as iMax.

I am used to bombing up and down mountain roads and countryside lanes, so when a car struggles to go past the speed limit, I complain :)

Guys,

Sorry, side track a bit. I'm also planning a road trip in August. Plan is to drive from Brisbane to Melbourne.

I have been looking at renting a RV or motorhome instead of a normal saloon car. Some webs have some decent RVs for rents,

http://www.apollocamper.com/campervan-hire-euro-deluxe.aspx

Rental is about AUD$200/day. Money is not the main issue. I gathered that this will be a very unique experience for the whole family.

Anybody has experience renting a RV? Are they city friendly? Will there be parking lots available in the city area?

I'm planning to go to Falls Creek and the snowy mountains. Is the RV capable of driving up the mountain roads?

(edited)

Guys,

Sorry, side track a bit. I'm also planning a road trip in August. Plan is to drive from Brisbane to Melbourne.

I have been looking at renting a RV or motorhome instead of a normal saloon car. Some webs have some decent RVs for rents,

http://www.apollocamper.com/campervan-hire-euro-deluxe.aspx

Rental is about AUD$200/day. Money is not the main issue. I gathered that this will be a very unique experience for the whole family.

Anybody has experience renting a RV? Are they city friendly? Will there be parking lots available in the city area?

I'm planning to go to Falls Creek and the snowy mountains. Is the RV capable of driving up the mountain roads?

RV you mean caravan?

I know these vehicle need a designated parking lot such as in a caravan park and not any where else and they are very strict on this. moreover there are places you can access with the vehicle. End up you have to park the 'home' in the park and drive the truck out.

I would strongly recommend not to.

Edited by Jman888

Caravan is the 'house' you are towing behind your vehicle right?

I'm referring to the mini bus size vehicle where you drive and sleep in it.

Caravan is the 'house' you are towing behind your vehicle right?

I'm referring to the mini bus size vehicle where you drive and sleep in it.

i think there are restrictions for such vehicle, you can read this on tripadvisor or ask further questions.

http://www.tripadvisor.com.sg/ShowTopic-g255055-i120-k2987607-Sleep_in_a_Campvan_in_the_side_of_the_road-Australia.html

↡ Advertisement