The COE system is now hurting Motorcyclists too

Bonafidestack

2012-Yamaha-Zuma125d-1024x682.jpg

Most people may not know that between 2003 and 2013, the car population jumped from 405,328 vehicles to 621,345 vehicles, a staggering 53% increase, according to official Land Transport Authority data.

In the same period, the motorcycle population only increased from 134,767 vehicles to 144,307 vehicles, a 7% increase.

Private cars now form 64% of the total vehicle population, while motorcycles make up 15%.

Despite the minimal impact of motorcycles on road congestion and pollution, in the past four months, the Certificate of Entitlement premium for two-wheelers has increased 240% to $4,289 as the LTA has applied its one-size-fits-all formula to capping vehicle population growth in Singapore.

While the LTA is doing the right thing in correcting the over-supply of COE in the past decade, it may not realize how its myopic approach in severely restricting the release of motorcycle COEs is hurting the motorcycling population and intensifying a growing social equity problem.

In a country where the wage gap issue looms over many heartland discussions, the high cost of the motorcycle COE today hits even harder on the lower income folks.

The majority of motorcycles (73%) in Singapore are small capacity bikes under 200cc (Class 2B) and many of these riders tend to be low-income earners who cannot afford a car.

For those who work as dispatch riders or have to travel to industrial areas poorly served by public transport, their two wheels are an essential part of their daily workflow.

The current quota premium for motorcycles is almost the cost of a new Class 2B motorcycle, and now many low-income earners are now being priced out of the market. It is a preposterous but increasingly real situation that very soon, only the rich can own either cars and motorcycles in Singapore.

In the case of cars, the debate has been hot and furious over the price of car COEs.

Yet you don’t hear the same outcry over motorcycles in the public sphere because the riding community does not have a strong voice.

Singapore’s small size is a perennial problem and motorcycles have been the highly efficient transport solution for years. And they are much greener when compared to cars – motorcycles often enjoy low fuel consumption, cleaner emissions and take up less parking space.

The LTA needs to re-examine how its current policies are hurting citizens who have not contributed to the country’s road congestion problem, but are now being made to pay a high price, literally and figuratively.

Source: http://iantan.org/

Read from here.

Edited by Bonafidestack
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6

Damn LTA scholar at work again.

First, the implementation of Euro 4 vehicles when dealers are not even selling it. Then, the reclassification of Cat A COE. And now this.....

• Praise 1

circa 94/95.....coe price the same as it is now. Bought my bike for $8500 (coe was $200) in 91 and sold for $7000+ in 95. Only lost $1000+ for 4 years of usage......but ya it sucks to be a motorist in SG for both riders and drivers!

• Praise 3

If MY bikes are diligently enforced against usage for local deliveries, very soon the fast food delivery will cost $10/trip and bike COE will skyrocket to >$10,000

I say give m/cycles a break, scrap COE for m/cycle. I rather see more m/cycles on road rather than more bicycles on pedastrain's walkways. Let these people learn to ride properly on roads through tests rather than have a grey market for zombie cyclists.

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 9

Turbocharged

As some drivers switch out of cars to bikes, this was always a matter of time that bike COE follow similar trajectory.

Supersonic

If MY bikes are diligently enforced against usage for local deliveries, very soon the fast food delivery will cost $10/trip and bike COE will skyrocket to >$10,000

I say give m/cycles a break, scrap COE for m/cycle. I rather see more m/cycles on road rather than more bicycles on pedastrain's walkways. Let these people learn to ride properly on roads through tests rather than have a grey market for zombie cyclists.

Support.

Supersonic

in the near future of Singapore....

very unlikely, most are engineered to understand that motorcycles = dangerous, low social class, reckless.

Given the uber status conscious sinky, doubt so. For most, its either car or PT.

They might use fixie bikers as their riders. : /

j3.jpg

Supersonic

As some drivers switch out of cars to bikes, this was always a matter of time that bike COE follow similar trajectory.

but iwt many are/were actually bikers to begin with. COE is officially for managing congestion.

Smooth flow = bike take centre of lane. Jam = bike lane split.

Hence when coe started, bike's coe was $1......for audit/academic purposes.

I say give m/cycles a break, scrap COE for m/cycle. I rather see more m/cycles on road rather than more bicycles on pedastrain's walkways.

I pray not..the m/cycles I've encounted mostly are dangerous and weaved in & out of lanes..the only safe riders are those old elderly drivers with their old bikes or those ang moh female riders with their scooters..these are probably the only ones who follow the traffic rules

• Praise 1

Seriously speaking, you think LTA will care??

They will want ppl to take public transport dan ppl owning a private form of transport. When there's congestion it means more work for them to do.

I think the more ppl comprain the worse they will screw it up for you and me. The inevitable of overpopulation of vehicles will come one day. They are just delaying it from happening. By dan it will hurt everyone in the tiny island.

• Praise 3

They will want ppl to take public transport dan ppl owning a private form of transport. When there's congestion it means more work for them to do.

I think the more ppl comprain the worse they will screw it up for you and me. The inevitable of overpopulation of vehicles will come one day. They are just delaying it from happening. By dan it will hurt everyone in the tiny island.

Well we motorcyclists never claimed for their 'help' and still got screwed. But it doesn't take an idiot to understand the basics of supply and demand. Lower motorbike quota (serious wtf plan is this?) higher COE premiums.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Most people may not know that between 2003 and 2013, the car population jumped from 405,328 vehicles to 621,345 vehicles, a staggering 53% increase, according to official Land Transport Authority data.

why the authority doesn't explain this 53% jump was due to what reasons?

there are more rich Singaporeans, or is it the increase partly due to the larger population (more PRs and FTs buying cars)?

if there's a social difference between citizens and PRs/FTs in housing, medical and education, why cannot be the same for cars and public transport?

not trying to say foreigners cannot buy cars, but they should pay a higher % in levy... they are also contributing to the congestion, but we are being punished for it

same goes to public transport

• Praise 10

there are more rich Singaporeans, or is it the increase partly due to the larger population (more PRs and FTs buying cars)?

if there's a social difference between citizens and PRs/FTs in housing, medical and education, why cannot be the same for cars and public transport?

not trying to say foreigners cannot buy cars, but they should pay a higher % in levy... they are also contributing to the congestion, but we are being punished for it

We should get MCF ppl to organise a talk with out transport minister, Mr Lui Tuck Yew. . .

Y5b8w6n.gif

Supersonic

who want more bikes on the road. Not me definitely.

Bikes are serious noise polluters.

I believe u are mainly referring to the 2 stroke bikes ?

most have stopped coming to SinCorp. The last batch should be the 2011 Yamaha RXZ 135.

And maybe a handful of the last batches of Aprilia RS 125.

Even Harley now no longer allowed to have their full russet burbank potatoe sound. Think the only loud but "damn wet" sound still imported oem would be the MV Augusta. Ducatis oem volume is about our typical LTA approved after mart zorst. But (MV) is damn rare on the road. No offence to Myxil.

The LTA approved zorst for popular bikes like cb400 are not much louder than our BnB cars with LTA legal aftermarket zorst.

Well we motorcyclists never claimed for their 'help' and still got screwed. But it doesn't take an idiot to understand the basics of supply and demand. Lower motorbike quota (serious wtf plan is this?) higher COE premiums.

can share what motorcycle ur riding? thx.

I pray not..the m/cycles I've encounted mostly are dangerous and weaved in & out of lanes..the only safe riders are those old elderly drivers with their old bikes or those ang moh female riders with their scooters..these are probably the only ones who follow the traffic rules

In a sense bikers below 31yrs & esp below 21 yrs are heavily wacked by insurance.

Their insurance I heard for their little bikes can smell 1k. As for those 150cc 2 stroke race reps, its defintely over 1k ++. Hence, we see less & less young riders on strokers.

• Praise 3

Supersonic

indeed, they play it down by qouting....increase by how many hundred, rather than % terms which would be shock therapy.

People say liao, public housing housing for locals. Talented foreiners, pls go private housing.

At least keep CAT A for locals lah. wtf. And now with bike coe like that, they want the lower income to stop riding & join the SMRT squeeze.

Those who think 6K coe for bikes are affordable are probably those angmo expat, whom on weekdays, have their 5 series/A6 & then on weekends ride their Harley & Ducati for leisure. And there a a few angmos expat who do ride their conti bikes on weekdays.

Yes, they have a proven track record for doing that. But dont say out, the anger bites into me like acid ( as per the Mark Twain logic quoted by TBF4). Say out, eventually kana screwed.

But seriously, bikes dont contribute to congestion. If it did its minimal. In view that Euro 3 has started for bike, maybe its just to enquire that these strokers like nsr 150, KR 150 & the likes dont get PQPed. Being too optimistic.

on a lighter note, the accidents female ridders get into, can be quite...

1 once saw a stack of claims at my ws. noted it was 3 female riders. I asked : i tot lady rider very cautious, safe....etc......

Ans: thats the prob.....they follow SSDC style. They take centre of the lane. When the car in front stops........the car behind only sees the car in front stopping........overlooking the petite lady rider inbetween....stopping too. As a result.....

Guess this is similar to the idea that adhering strictly to speed limits is in effect more dangerous than driving under 1st tier excess.

Edit : Middle class kana squeeze. Now working class & lower income also want to squeeze. So guess what........must live around poverty line to avoid getting squeezed. wtf. k n n b c c b.

Edited by Baal
↡ Advertisement