The COE system is now hurting Motorcyclists too

Bonafidestack

That's a nice bike.

Btw, I read in wiki that the Monster 795 is made in Indon. Did u happen to hear of any quality issues due to this reason.

I am aware that 795 is using the same engine as 796 but being plonked into the 696 frame ( so no sexy single sided swing arm & its "only" a 4.5 inch rear rim accommodating a 160/60).

The machine price of the 795 is the same as 696 ?

EDIT : may I enquire whats the FC of ur 821 like under pure Sin riding conditions? TIA

I dont think they sell the Monster 795 here, that was for other Asian mkt I believe. Here only have the Monster 696. 796, 1100 evo and the new ones coming out are the liquid cooled Monster 1200/1200S. The 795 is assembled in Thailand btw.

For the older air-cooled Monster, must go for minimum the 1100. Anything less will feel very underpowered.

I'm getting ard 18 km/litre currently, abt 60/40 split highway/city riding. But bike is not fully run in yet, only have 2500 km on the clock, since I bought it last Oct.

Edited by Filtered
↡ Advertisement

This horsepower thingy is more from certain ADs who had great difficulty selling their stocks after the cuts in COE...................

You think gahment bother to "really" listen to commoners so much?

I've never ridden a bike, but have a strange hankering to. Maybe it's middle-age kicking in. At any rate, I don't have anything against motorbike riders, unless they ride like dicks.

But I will say one thing with regard to all these "helpful" suggestions hoping the LTA will take notice of them: be careful of what you wish for. The LTA may well "listen" and "heed" and what they come up with may be your worst nightmare. Like that dumbass system we have in place now where the COE price is tagged to horsepower - I have no idea which idiot suggested it, which moronic scholar implemented it, and what in the heck it's supposed to do for road congestion but the law is on the books now, and we're stuck with it.

So be very careful whenever you ask any gahmen agency for help - you just might get it, after which you end up repenting.

Supersonic

I dont think they sell the Monster 795 here, that was for other Asian mkt I believe. Here only have the Monster 696. 796, 1100 evo and the new ones coming out are the liquid cooled Monster 1200/1200S. The 795 is assembled in Thailand btw.

For the older air-cooled Monster, must go for minimum the 1100. Anything less will feel very underpowered.

I'm getting ard 18 km/litre currently, abt 60/40 split highway/city riding. But bike is not fully run in yet, only have 2500 km on the clock, since I bought it last Oct.

Thanks for the clarification.

But both 696/796 have a wet weight <190kg. Paired with 80hp/7kg & 87hp/8kg, may I assume ur taking ref from the standpoint of keeping up with => 600cc IL4 on the NSHW ?

But to decisively move about faster in Sin should be no problem? (Versus Super 4, & the new Honda 400X)

18/litre 60/40 split highway/city riding is good man, considering its an >100hp bike. My shop tells me that the CB400 FC is really sucky. Recently saw a post in bike forum. He said that hes getting 15/L running in, rpm <6k. So even when fully run in with fully syn eo & optimistically giving it a +20% improvement, it only means 18/L !!.

EDIT : And when the new CB400 Revo went to AD, he was advised it was "normal".

Edited by Baal

Supersonic

This horsepower thingy is more from certain ADs who had great difficulty selling their stocks after the cuts in COE...................

You think gahment bother to "really" listen to commoners so much?

130hp is way too much. Probably the ADs based it on the fact that Elantra, K3, Civic, Altis, will all 120-130hp.

iwt to be really utilitarian & underclass, should be <100hp. Once it touches 3 fig HP eg 100hp, its like a psychological barrier that has been overcome.

Thanks for the clarification.

But both 696/796 have a wet weight <190kg. Paired with 80hp/7kg & 87hp/8kg, may I assume ur taking ref from the standpoint of keeping up with => 600cc IL4 on the NSHW ?

But to decisively move about faster in Sin should be no problem? (Versus Super 4, & the new Honda 400X)

18/litre 60/40 split highway/city riding is good man, considering its an >100hp bike. My shop tells me that the CB400 FC is really sucky. Recently saw a post in bike forum. He said that hes getting 15/L running in, rpm <6k. So even when fully run in with fully syn eo & optimistically giving it a +20% improvement, it only means 18/L !!.

EDIT : And when the new CB400 Revo went to AD, he was advised it was "normal".

Either of the monsters have more than sufficient power for 'normal' riding in SG. However there is quite significant diff in torque, esp for V-twins which make their power down low in the rpm range.

If you ignore all the paper figures, and go and test ride the monster 796 vs 1100, you will see what I mean. The 1100 has the grin factor, which is lacking in in the 696 and 796.... Hehe....also the monster is not a very big bike, so if ur a big sized 80kg fella like me, riding the 696 or 796 looks quite funny....like a circus bear on a small tricycle hahah. The 1100 is slightly bigger so not so bad hahah

IL4 engines can make higher bhp from smaller cc, but usually higher up in the rev range. V-twins will be torquier down low, and don't rev as high. The rev limit for my ducati I think is only ard 9k+ rpm.....but the fun factor starts from 4k, and I can easily pop 3rd gear wheelies with just the throttle. Also anything above 140 kmh on my hypermotard is quite uncomfy due to lack of wind protection. So I think it's very well suited for city riding and twisty B-roads.

As for moving ard faster in SG, maybe not much diff from jap bikes. But you will definitely have a bigger grin riding the Duc.....plus the rumble from the L-twins is priceless......I get a hardon just starting my bike in the morning hahhahahh

Not to mention the occasional thumbs up you get from drivers when you pull up next to them at traffic lights........unfortunately these are usually old/middle aged men.......no hot chicks.....lol

18km/l is just for normal riding here.....I ride like a grandma in SG .......if I were to ride the Hyper like how it's meant to be ridden, I think will be much less and I will lose my license...hahah

Edited by Filtered
  • Praise 1

Supersonic

Just to share, ......i went to bike shop earlier to pay some stuff, & I asked

why the take up rate for FZ 16 is so good compared to NS200 when both cost about the same and NS has 50% more power ?!

Ans :

a) FZ have more spares & affordable prices.

b) NS is monopolised by AD with no PI alternatives. Hence cost of spares higher and for spares, all other bike shops must go to them to get 1st. So if u dont go AD direct, there could be downtime. In some cases need to wait a while to order parts.

c) I asked for the purpose of discussion, assuming a model specific part cost $50 for FZ, how much will it be for the NS? $70? Ans : more likely $80.

d) But I noted b4 NS, the 150/180 were selling so well. Ans : thats because FZ has yet to enter the market.

So i gathered that its either NS parts are marked up due to monopoly status and/or BJ's strategy is similar to the Taiwanese scooters. Sell below Jap, but claw back when selling spares. I would like to believe that its due to the latter.

For sure i don't want to see more bikes in expressway, too dangerous already if too many bikes in highway.

There are reasons why bikes are not allowed in expressway in some countries

For sure i don't want to see more cars in expressway, too dangerous already If too many cars in highway.

I am a harley rider and a daily driver. The number of f**k up and inconsiderate drivers on the road outweights more than bikers.

Reduce the number of cars. Bikes dun give shit problems like cars do.

• Praise 1

For sure i don't want to see more cars in expressway, too dangerous already If too many cars in highway.

I am a harley rider and a daily driver. The number of f**k up and inconsiderate drivers on the road outweights more than bikers.

Reduce the number of cars. Bikes dun give shit problems like cars do.

Too many cars will cause jam

Too many bikes will have more blindspots for drivers

Who is the hazard here?

• Dislike 1

Who is the hazard here?

What blindspots? Most of the time the bikes are ahead of traffic because its safer that way and to keep ourselves visible, reduce chances of getting sideswiped.by someone busy on their phone while driving.

Btw ur supposed to be checking ur blindspots before any lane changes. Also its good practice when driving to just take a quick check in the mirrors every 30s or so. If the driver doesnt have basic situational awareness and worried about blind spots, maybe should not be driving. Go take public transport or taxis, safer for everybody on the road.

What blindspots? Most of the time bikes are ahead of traffic because its safer that way and to keep ourselves visible, reduce chances of getting sideswiped.by someone busy on their phone while driving.

Btw ur supposed to be checking ur blindspots before any lane changes. Also its good practice when driving to just take a quick check in the mirrors every 30s or so. If the driver doesnt have basic situational awareness and worried about blind spots, maybe should not be driving. Go take public transport or taxis, safer for everybody on the road.

Bro i can tell u that i always check my blindspot and i oso always Check my mirror frequently. Before i change lane i would signal 2-3 seconds before that while i check my blindspot. HOWEVER not all drivers Are safe. Somehow some people do manage to pass their test though they shouldnt qualify for.

In an expressway, i saw a number of bike accident with cars and mostly becos car change from lane 1 to lane 2 and didnt check blindspot and sidewipe the bikes.

(edited)

Hellooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Blindspots for you to check and your responsiblity.

You think riding bikes got no blindspots? Only cars have?

Who is the hazard here?

Edited by Kangadrool

Hellooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Blindspots for you to check and your responsiblity.

You think riding bikes got no blindspots? Only cars have?

I do check but some drivers dont. Those irresponsible are the one who caused increasing death in road accident

I have no problem with bikers, I always check my blindspots to avoid hitting them. All I wish is they don't keep squeezing between cars till their handles hit my side mirror. It happened twice and the biker continue moving forward, pretending nothing happen. I also LL.

(edited)

Kudos to you. [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

Blindspots is everyone's responsibility. Even street walkers cross zebra/pedestrain crossing also got blindspots. It pays to glance sideways as you are crossing....

I do check but some drivers dont. Those irresponsible are the one who caused increasing death in road accident

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 1

Bike or car, both will have blind spots one. Let's just face it. when we are on the road, we should practice considerate. Our island so small not like NSHW free of traffic what.

If bikers can accommodate drivers, i believe driver will also look out for bikers one! [drivingcar] [drivingcar] [drivingcar]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1