The COE system is now hurting Motorcyclists too

Bonafidestack

who want more bikes on the road. Not me definitely.

Bikes are serious noise polluters.

For sure i don't want to see more bikes in expressway, too dangerous already if too many bikes in highway.

There are reasons why bikes are not allowed in expressway in some countries

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Supersonic

For sure i don't want to see more bikes in expressway, too dangerous already if too many bikes in highway.

There are reasons why bikes are not allowed in expressway in some countries

To a certain extend, i would pause & think on this for the class 2B. Especially for the <150cc Kups.

These bikes weigh around 100kg. Cross winds (if any in Sin) would severely affect them.

• Praise 1

Bike COE are too cheap now. Assuming 4 bikes take up 1 car space, bike COE should cost around 20k a piece.

Why are people complaining?

• Praise 1
  • Dislike 2

To a certain extend, i would pause & think on this for the class 2B. Especially for the <150cc Kups.

These bikes weigh around 100kg. Cross winds (if any in Sin) would severely affect them.

Yes when we overtake them in high speed around 90-100, they will be affected and if not careful they might fall

Bike COE are too cheap now. Assuming 4 bikes take up 1 car space, bike COE should cost around 20k a piece.

Good thinking

• Dislike 1

Motorcycle is the most basic kind of personal transport. As in all entry level consumers, a slight increase in price is difficult to swallow. We should spare a thought for this group of users too. How many of us will voluntarily get a bike as our daily transport if a car is available?

For those who argue that bikes should pay proportionally or on a similar scale as cars, are they the same people who complain that "rich" people are driving up the price of Cat A COEs? And then why should owners of bigger cars pay more e.g road tax, COE (most of the time) etc when they take up as much resources as a smaller car?

• Praise 7

Motorcycle is the most basic kind of personal transport. As in all entry level consumers, a slight increase in price is difficult to swallow. We should spare a thought for this group of users too. How many of us will voluntarily get a bike as our daily transport if a car is available?

For those who argue that bikes should pay proportionally or on a similar scale as cars, are they the same people who complain that "rich" people are driving up the price of Cat A COEs? And then why should owners of bigger cars pay more e.g road tax, COE (most of the time) etc when they take up as much resources as a smaller car?

Fact is the rich is already paying more for a luxury car in Singapore, I nevertheless support a progressive taxation system, especially on luxury items.

But bike also takes up limited road space, so the "if you cannot afford it, take public transport" rule should still apply. Like ERP, bike pays less and motorcyclists are already paying 1/20 of a big car COE and they are still complaining, come on....

same feeling here.....want to gibe u 5 but must up others 1st!

I guess. they are really noisy especially when the stupid youngsters riding them rev them.

Late at night, it's facking irritating.

I believe u are mainly referring to the 2 stroke bikes ?

most have stopped coming to SinCorp. The last batch should be the 2011 Yamaha RXZ 135.

And maybe a handful of the last batches of Aprilia RS 125.

Most people who ride scooters are doing it for their daily livelihoods.

I've nothing against low COEs for them.

But congestion is shared between cars and bikes. So it does not make sense to limit cars without limiting bikes.

I think it's very fair to say that bikes cause less congestion, but noise pollution and their habit of illegally parking along sidewalks, along double yellow lines and other places cause more problems than cars.

• Praise 1

you can talk till the cow comes home . . . COE bidding WILL NOT benefit anybody here in Sp,

THy can change , chop and tweak the system, wad goes around will comes around, the Govt hands down.

• Praise 3

Fact is the rich is already paying more for a luxury car in Singapore, I nevertheless support a progressive taxation system, especially on luxury items.

But bike also takes up limited road space, so the "if you cannot afford it, take public transport" rule should still apply. Like ERP, bike pays less and motorcyclists are already paying 1/20 of a big car COE and they are still complaining, come on....

Then going along with your "if you cannot afford, then....", we should impose tax on a similar scale to buses and taxis to reflect the amount of apace they take up i.e 1/3 of the whole road when bus lane is operational, spending more time on roaming than a private car etc. then we work out the fares. If it is too expensive, then we tell those commuters "if you cannot afford it, ride a bicycle". Then again bicycles take up space too, remember the 1.5 meter thing? Then we go "if you cannot afford it, stay at home".

Well, property prices have been going up real fast in the last few years...where do we go from there then? Where do we go as a nation with such blatant uncaring mercenary attitude?

• Praise 3

While its sunny and sexy singapore to the highly paid individuals (FTs or otherwise) and HNWIs, it is suckypore for the low income earners and lower middle income earners!!!

• Praise 2

Then going along with your "if you cannot afford, then....", we should impose tax on a similar scale to buses and taxis to reflect the amount of apace they take up i.e 1/3 of the whole road when bus lane is operational, spending more time on roaming than a private car etc. then we work out the fares. If it is too expensive, then we tell those commuters "if you cannot afford it, ride a bicycle". Then again bicycles take up space too, remember the 1.5 meter thing? Then we go "if you cannot afford it, stay at home".

Well, property prices have been going up real fast in the last few years...where do we go from there then? Where do we go as a nation with such blatant uncaring mercenary attitude?

Well, the last I check, buses and taxis are public transport so they should be subsidized as they benefit many instead of just 1 person (plus perhaps his family). My point is bike COE is still cheap relative to car COE, so motorcyclist should not complain and/ or expect hand-outs. If you push your argument in that direction you are going, shouldn't our govt subsidize Cat D COE for low income earners (instead of increasing the quota to benefit rich Harley buyer)?

Turbocharged

Reading Voodooman and Bavarian debating...

It's really a tough balancing act trying to pinpoint the magic number at which bike COE shd be at so that social good is maximised.

• Praise 1

Agreed. Its just like saying bigger size pple pay more tax...

Reading Voodooman and Bavarian debating...

It's really a tough balancing act trying to pinpoint the magic number at which bike COE shd be at so that social good is maximised.

Buy second bikes lah...

Pple complain too many cars...

So reduce COE

Now pple complain car COE too ex

So more pple buy bike...

Now pple complain bike COE too ex

Later, will hv our resident bikers coming out to promote riding bicycles...

Then someone will say too many bikes n impose coe on bicycles....

Never ending....

I guess. they are really noisy especially when the stupid youngsters riding them rev them.

Late at night, it's facking irritating.

Most people who ride scooters are doing it for their daily livelihoods.

I've nothing against low COEs for them.

But congestion is shared between cars and bikes. So it does not make sense to limit cars without limiting bikes.

I think it's very fair to say that bikes cause less congestion, but noise pollution and their habit of illegally parking along sidewalks, along double yellow lines and other places cause more problems than cars.

Vespa not cheap hor...

A brand new cost 12k... just asked a shop along serangoon rd two weeks back

Voodooman, that one is not regarding COE, Road Tax already took care of that aspect.

In fact, i want to scream injustice too.

My car is so much smaller than yours but my road tax is so much more than yours. How leh?

Yes when we overtake them in high speed around 90-100, they will be affected and if not careful they might fall

Good thinking

Then road hoggers should pay higher road tax cos they drive sl8wer and take up more time on the road per km travelled

↡ Advertisement