A*STAR system to help drivers navigate junction safely

Darthrevan

Researchers at A*STAR have developed a system to help car drivers navigate junctions safely by voicing out cautions.

The system in the car will get signals from sensors installed at junctions that will inform drivers of any approaching pedestrian or vehicle.

A*STAR’s Institute for Infocomm Research (I2R) said the system can detect the speed of all vehicles at the traffic junction and warn drivers of impending collision.

It is now on a year-long trial -- from February 2014 to end-2014 -- to study the feasibility of using advanced technology to enhance traffic junction safety.

Currently, only a pair of sensors is installed along Jurong East Ave 1 and Toh Guan Road.

Dr Jaya Shankar P, programme head of intelligent transport systems at I2R, said: "This system can potentially go into the next generation in-vehicle unit. The next generation systems, based on connected vehicles that allow car-to-car and car-to-infrastructure communications, would be fitted with the appropriate radios and even screens for drivers to view, and we believe that this would actually benefit the drivers and could be potentially fitted into this system."

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

3 years on....many new pink ICs given, many clans relocated to our little red dot, many millions in salary and development cost written off......

Not even a piece of booger is produced....

• Praise 1

Reminds me of a Prof or A/Prof who brought equipment to bus stops to test air quality and concluded that air quality at bus stops was not healthy and should take MRT where possible. Think was just last year and he was interviewed on Ch 5 news.

I was like [jawdrop]  .... we paid for this ? 

Waiting for next bright spark to test for EM waves in MRT tunnels ...  [:p]

Not sure if it's the same thing as the one at Toa Payoh before merging to PIE Changi.

Although I feel it's redundant. Turn your head to check traffic difficult meh?

↡ Advertisement