Instead of a Vios, why not an Axio?

Alheych

There have been previous discussions on whether the Vios is worth it/not worth it. It always depends on a priority of interests; if you want something tried, tested, with cheap maintenance due to availability of parts, you have to live with the old engine and 4-speed auto gearbox which have been around since the very first rendition of Vios in 2002.

I was wondering why hardly anyone brings us the option of going PI and get an Axio instead.

Axio:

http://www.sgcarmart.com/new_cars/newcars_overview.php?CarCode=11325

Newer technology with CVT, various dealers selling, at most $115k.

Vios:

http://www.sgcarmart.com/new_cars/newcars_overview.php?CarCode=11315

A Vios costs at least $123k now, and you all know how old the technology is.

An Axio is ultimately a Corolla, which is one notch above Vios. Yet it's selling at a lower price, just because it's not from an authorised dealer. Although an Axio is smaller than the Altis, it still shares more technical underpinnings with it that should give it an advantage over the Vios. I really see no case for the Vios now.

Edited by HyperTonic
↡ Advertisement

Good question.

I have been asking this myself and I think why pple shun the Axio:

Price difference not that great at less than 10%.

Sold by PI. Warranty may not be as enforceable as with Borneo Motors.

Axio using CVT so with the higher maintenance and perceived higher chance of breakdown the warranty is all the more important.

Vios still using the tried and tested 4-speed.

Resale value will always favour the AD car.

Think if the price diff is like 20% maybe more pple will take up Axio.

I drive an Axio and truthfully like most Toyota cars, it is reliable, easy to handle and quite fuel efficient. (Full tank around 600+km)

If you service the CVT gearbox regularly like changing the CVT oil, then it shouldn't pose any problem.

The transition to higher speed is smooth and frankly, I don't have much complains about the car.

Turbocharged

I'd go with Axio.

Most wkshops can handle Toyota and it's one of the more reliable makes.

CVT doesn't make it less reliable. If 7 Speed DSG mated to 1.4 can make...

Most Asian manufacturers have adopted CVT gearboxes. Can't be that bad if it has been adopted across different brands.

I'd go with Axio.

Most wkshops can handle Toyota and it's one of the more reliable makes.

CVT doesn't make it less reliable. If 7 Speed DSG mated to 1.4 can make...

Most Asian manufacturers have adopted CVT gearboxes. Can't be that bad if it has been adopted across different brands.

Toyota's CVT is reliable,but boring to drive[most CVT the same]like tranmission only got 2-3 ratios.....VW DSG are fun to drive but problematic..!! [furious][furious][thumbsdown]

Turbocharged

Axio is ugly, dated (like the Toyota Crown taxis) and the new Vios is overpriced. Both not worth buying. There are better, cheaper, nicer-looking bread n butter cars out there - Hyundai and Kia.

Supersonic

Think the current Axio where looks are concerned is a step or 2 backwards. The prev model looked so much better.

As the price difference is not much + taking into account the $ power of the current buyers, it would be hard to move the new Axio.

Not to mention if buyers are spec that coe will moderate from 2015, they would want something that have better resale value after 2 years of holding it. So they would want something w better demand & and AD's car.

It is exactly because cars like Axio, with CVT and electric power steering that I avoid them!

Like driving one of those XBOX car racing games, with plastico-electronic toy steering wheels.

CVT is so monotonous in driver engagement and little steering feel!

Give me cars like Ford Focus, or KIA Rio with visco-coupled A/T and hydraulic power steering anytime - for the real drive feel and tactile feedback.

Think the current Axio where looks are concerned is a step or 2 backwards. The prev model looked so much better.

As the price difference is not much + taking into account the $ power of the current buyers, it would be hard to move the new Axio.

Not to mention if buyers are spec that coe will moderate from 2015, they would want something that have better resale value after 2 years of holding it. So they would want something w better demand & and AD's car.

haha, i do agree that the Axio is not a looker. but... i was wondering, if you're already buying a toyota, and choosing between a vios and an axio, would you be that bothered about looks? vios' slightly nicer styling isn't worth the 12 year old engine IMO.

Supersonic

haha, i do agree that the Axio is not a looker. but... i was wondering, if you're already buying a toyota, and choosing between a vios and an axio, would you be that bothered about looks? vios' slightly nicer styling isn't worth the 12 year old engine IMO.

erm, ok, looks aside, I/m not to familiar about the "newer" engine that the Axio has other than what I believe the CVT is 7G CVT to which I do dig that idea.

Is the newer engine on dvvt, valvematic? But looking at specs, dun seem to suggest that. 109hp/136nm. iirc, the pev Axio 110hp/140nm which was standard across Axio, Allion, Premio.

In fact, now I just saw that the Allion also 109/136

No indication of Axio, but Allion's compression is 11.0. If its accurate, such compression levels pumping 109hp is kinda below expectation.

Esp so if compared to SSS. But to bad, SSS no backside. However, understand that the new SS & SSS now have increase backside space. SSS also 7G CVT from Nissan.

Frankly, I would opt out of these too. for 1.5, I would rather opt for the new City. But if I must choose, I would go for Vios.

At comp of 10.5, it pumps out 107/141 (win). The 4AT also time tested & proven. With good habbits, the 4AT should conservatively give 200k b4 rebuild.

I support JDM. But the 2 steps back in design is ........

EDIT : though its 12 years old, but if its still competitive, why not? The merits of 12 yo also means that :

1) Many ws outside very familiar with the engine & trouble shooting if need be.

2) Super availability of spares.

3) Uber time tested.

4) At 80k coe, imo, not a time to take risks.

Edited by Baal

this belongs to Syphilis. [:p]

Is Axio the car with the dashboard that melts until like sticky sticky and grow bubbles that look like have boils?

Although I'm a toyota altis driver. I've never supported anyone to buy a Vios.

You can get the koreans for the same price right.

I agree though i rather buy an Axio rather than a Vios. Both cars don't look good to me.

I think it reminds me of a Nissan Sunny lol...

hope someone here will not come in and bash Korean cars again. [laugh]

Although I'm a toyota altis driver. I've never supported anyone to buy a Vios.

You can get the koreans for the same price right.

I agree though i rather buy an Axio rather than a Vios. Both cars don't look good to me.

I think it reminds me of a Nissan Sunny lol...

↡ Advertisement