Open Speed Limit

Aaronlkl

Stuart Highway, NT. Think it's a certain stretch of it.

I did a google search and found out indeed a stretch of Stuart Highway btw Barrow Creeks and Alice Spring has open limit from 1st Feb 2014 for a year. Darwin, here I come....

• Praise 5

(edited)

Good link (not just unlimited roads, but also roads with high limits): https://blog.trapster.com/2013/11/14/ten-fastest-roads-world/

A bit OT for this thread, but allow me to rant a little. To my mind, speed limits (especially fixed speed limits) are meaningless.

Keeping to 70km/h along the 4 lane road at Lim Chu Kang becomes an exercise in extreme irritation.

Whereas on the Bolivian Death Road, you're not going to go a whiff above 50km/h even if I tell you the speed limit is 200km/h.

Simply put, most people are perfectly capable of judging what speed is safe. The ones who can't are going to exceed any posted limit anyway. All speed limits do is to frustrate law-abiding drivers, especially with the ever-improving power, handling and stopping-technology of cars. In fact, I am willing to make a bold assertion: unrealistically low speed limits actually make driving *more* dangerous for everyone, for many reasons: they lower speed differentials between lanes, causing cars to travel abreast of unsafe heavy vehicles for much longer than they should, they cause frustrated drivers (even of vans and heavy vehicles) to overtake dangerously, and the boredom inherent in adhering to an unrealistic limit may lead to inattention, which is a major cause of traffic accidents.

Instead of spending all this time, effort and money on speed limits and enforcement thereof, I would rather the money be spent on better driver education (including lane etiquette) and far more stringent driver testing. However, this will never come to pass for one simple reason: punitive enforcement is a money-spinner for the government, whereas prevention is a money-drainer.

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 15

Supercharged

In fact, I am willing to make a bold assertion: unrealistically low speed limits actually make driving *more* dangerous for everyone, for many reasons

exactly.

unfortunately, all LTA will do is say: "Speed limits are set after careful study...blah blah blah"...

exactly.

unfortunately, all LTA will do is say: "Speed limits are set after careful study...blah blah blah"...

They *have* actually said this recently, bro. Should we challenge them to reveal the results of those studies, and any evidence for outside expert consultation? :D

Supercharged

They *have* actually said this recently, bro. Should we challenge them to reveal the results of those studies, and any evidence for outside expert consultation? :D

here it is below, they say must also set to the lowest common denominator.

we should challenge them to up the standard of driver training and driving test to increase proficiency

of drivers by including high-speed highway driving/cornering/braking THEN they no excuse to dun

increase speed limit to more realistic levels that EVERYBODY is already going at...

WE THANK Mr Wee Wei Loong for his feedback ("Get speed limits right"; Feb 28).

In setting the speed limits of any road, we consider the safety of all road users. The speed limit must also cater to all types of vehicles and drivers of all proficiency levels.

We will look at the characteristics of the road, such as its width, or whether there are bends that may affect motorists' judgment to stop safely, especially during an emergency.

We also look at the profile of road users and land use along any particular stretch of road. For example, roads that pass through residential estates or front commercial developments and schools will usually require a lower speed limit as more pedestrians are expected to use these roads.

In the case of Lentor Avenue, we have set the speed limit at 70kmh, which is already higher than the limits at most arterial roads. This speed limit takes into consideration segments of the road with bends that limit the line of sight for motorists, as well as pedestrian activities along parts of the road.

For their safety as well as that of other road users, motorists should observe the speed limits of the roads they are travelling on.

Helen Lim (Ms)

Director, Media Relations

Land Transport Authority"

• Praise 3

exactly.

yeap.. and LTA expects us to enter sheares bridge at 90km/h... climb the bridge at 70km/h.. and leave towards changi at 80km/h... with a camera waiting to catch anyone who comes down a long slope in excess of 90km/hr

always feel so irritated to have to check before deciding to slow down or not... [:/]

• Praise 3

Supercharged

yeap.. and LTA expects us to enter sheares bridge at 90km/h... climb the bridge at 70km/h.. and leave towards changi at 80km/h... with a camera waiting to catch anyone who comes down a long slope in excess of 90km/hr

always feel so irritated to have to check before deciding to slow down or not... [:/]

worst is 70-90km/h drop to ridiculous 50km/h (at bends / expressway exits),

which almost no one ever obeys when road is clear.

you become a road hazard if you die die want to obey the 50km/h and

everyone else starts to tailgate and try to overtake you.

• Praise 1

I think some roads on the Isle of Man (near UK) have no speed limits. There is where the TT motorbike race is held.

yes. I must make a trip there someday.

But no. You see, speeding kills. Apparently.

Hahaha.. I remember u said u rode at >200km/h before.

• Praise 5

NSHW. Just that u need to pay more to speed

I'm tired of NSHW! Too many road hogging SG plates.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4