Grab/Ryde issues and charges

Yamapi

Hypersonic

HO HO HO......

1444 impounded [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

http://www.straitstimes.com/news/singapore/transport/story/authorities-impound-honda-car-used-alleged-uber-scam-20150303

Authorities impound Honda car used in alleged Uber scam

By Adrian Lim

SINGAPORE - The Honda car which was used in an alleged Uber scam was found on Monday night and has been impounded by the authorities, a source told The Straits Times.

The car, with licence plate number SJT 1444Y, was believed to have been driven by an individual claiming to be from the ride-booking service Uber and who has allegedly scammed at least two commuters.

A picture of the car was posted on Facebook on Sunday by Mr Joverst Lee, 22, who was one of the victims.

Mr Lee said he was charged $97 for a trip from Beach Road to Yio Chu Kang. When the driver first offered Mr Lee and his family a ride, he claimed to be from Uber and said a flat rate of $3.90, along with a $0.70 per km charge would apply.

However, Mr Lee said during the journey, he noticed that the fare - which was being displayed on a phone app - had hit $50.

Mr Lee, who works in the construction industry, told the driver to drop them off at Yio Chu Kang, instead of his original destination at Woodlands where he lived.

Still, the bill amounted to $97, with the driver changing his tune to say that the charge was $8 per km instead. As he was concerned for the safety of his wife, 21, and daughter, 3, and month-old son, Mr Lee said he chose to pay the amount and walk away. He has since filed a police report.

In a second incident reported by The New Paper, also allegedly involving the same car, Muay Thai gym owner Darius Wong, 25, said the driver tried to charge him $37 for a ride from Toa Payoh to Novena Square.

Mr Wong said that he had wanted to go to Chinatown but asked the driver to let him off earlier after seeing the charges rocket. Mr Wong, however, only paid $10 and walked away.

On Tuesday, Uber alerted the public to a individual masquerading as one of the company's drivers, and confirmed that the car involved was not registered with them.

A spokesman said: "Please be reminded that Uber is an on-demand platform where riders and driver-partners are matched via the app, not street hails."

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

Yes, should clamp down. Charging high fee is minor. Imagine murder, robbery or rape... But we know how our gahmen agency like to wait for something big to happen before they move their butt... [:/] [:/]

these third party already not allowed -

and frankly, I think is a good thing, for exactly the reasons you have outlined - to me, a taxi driver should have to pass a minimum competency test and background check.

But like you say - all this while, the authorities act blind and not do anything, now that got big problem will spring into action.

Further - do remember that using your car as a taxi most likely invalidates the insurance - using you car for any sort of "for hire" makes the insurance null (and I think that will include hospital insurance for passenger)

Twincharged

Wow. 22 yo already a father.

When I was 22 my wife was a m16.......

Nowadays quite common. Quite a few of my friends had to get parental consent to get married.

Hypersonic

Wow. 22 yo already a father.

When I was 22 my wife was a m16.......

And father of two children already [sweatdrop]

these third party already not allowed -

and frankly, I think is a good thing, for exactly the reasons you have outlined - to me, a taxi driver should have to pass a minimum competency test and background check.

But like you say - all this while, the authorities act blind and not do anything, now that got big problem will spring into action.

Further - do remember that using your car as a taxi most likely invalidates the insurance - using you car for any sort of "for hire" makes the insurance null (and I think that will include hospital insurance for passenger)

Can act blur in the event of accident lor. No need to say ferrying customers but friends mah. As long as the driver is the policy holder, sure can find a way to claim :ph34r:

Unless of course the accident resulted in injury or .... death [:/] [:/]

Turbocharged

And father of two children already [sweatdrop]

Can act blur in the event of accident lor. No need to say ferrying customers but friends mah. As long as the driver is the policy holder, sure can find a way to claim :ph34r:

Unless of course the accident resulted in injury or .... death [:/] [:/]

Which is all well and good ...

Until it isn't

Not really so difficult to get caught out ...

And do you really think the passengers are willing to make a false statement to the police? Maybe - to save themselves the fee,

but to me it feels like a "big stupid to cover a small stupid" - or in other words, continuing to dig when they are in a hole

• Praise 1

after reading some post on the uber facebook, i noticed that many expat actually welcome and supportive of uber service. I guess mainly because it is difficult to fetch taxi at peak period and the long queue.

also partly these expat or travellers has been using this app in other countries and familiar with how it works.

Turbocharged

after reading some post on the uber facebook, i noticed that many expat actually welcome and supportive of uber service. I guess mainly because it is difficult to fetch taxi at peak period and the long queue.

also partly these expat or travellers has been using this app in other countries and familiar with how it works.

http://www.businessinsider.sg/uber-china-ban-2015-1/#.VPZjSFOUe6E

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-29027803

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2874263/Paris-taxis-block-highway-urge-ban-Uber.html

uber banned in china, germany & france plus many others just search for it

• Praise 1

Twincharged

My brother was showing me his uber receipt and compared with normal taxi, its cheaper. Plus he emailed uber and they did reply saying that their passengers are all covered by insurance. I guess that is why uber is still popular.

My brother was showing me his uber receipt and compared with normal taxi, its cheaper. Plus he emailed uber and they did reply saying that their passengers are all covered by insurance. I guess that is why uber is still popular.

think another advantage is cashless...

CASHLESS
Physical cash is never exchanged between a passenger and driver.
Uber is a cashless service and passengers must sign up for an account which includes registering their credit or debit card.
All rides booked through Uber's phone application are charged directly to a customer's credit card.

Twincharged

think another advantage is cashless...

Yeah. For taxis have to pay extra to use card and some drivers will claim their machine spoilt.

in the article it wrote

"The estimated fare on Uber's website from Beach Road to Woodlands, under the UberExec service, is between S$58 to S$74. "

Beach road to Woodland need so much??!!! [hur]

Hypersonic

in the article it wrote

"The estimated fare on Uber's website from Beach Road to Woodlands, under the UberExec service, is between S$58 to S$74. "

CTE jammed most of the time so have to factor in :D

Twincharged

in the article it wrote

UberExec is a different one right? That one is all the luxury cars.