W212 owners, please check-in

Thaiyotakamli

I may still have my Avantgarde springs around, if you like to have it, let me know. You have to get your own shocks though.

Not all ADs will change gearbox/differential oil especially if its not stated in their manufacturer's service manual. I didn't find any information about gearbox oil in the W212 owner's manual also. Check your service invoice to see if its done, and if not, i suggest you change it at the next service.

Hi thanks so much for your offer. My concerns with the avantgarde shocks is the under carriage will get scratched when driving through humps. At least that was my previous experince. I will live with the less stiff shocks and see how it goes.

Thanks for your advice on oil change too.

↡ Advertisement

I may still have my Avantgarde springs around, if you like to have it, let me know. You have to get your own shocks though.

Haha, you are one smart guy. I foolishly drove with my avantgarde springs all the way with the bottom scraping at every other hump when I have a full load of people. Now I have a phobia of low clearance.

Haha, you are one smart guy. I foolishly drove with my avantgarde springs all the way with the bottom scraping at every other hump when I have a full load of people. Now I have a phobia of low clearance.

Did you install avantgarde spring with matching shocks?

If not, that's the likely scenario.

Surprising to know that stock shock is so soft.

It is actually not soft, it is a sporty setup with the centre of gravity set lower so that you can corner very fast. Indeed the car can take turns very fast, no problem.

It is actually not soft, it is a sporty setup with the centre of gravity set lower so that you can corner very fast. Indeed the car can take turns very fast, no problem.

I know.

But the shock should have higher compression rate to prevent the car from "sinking" with full load.

I know.

But the shock should have higher compression rate to prevent the car from "sinking" with full load.

The springs are ok firm (not bouncy etc) but springs still have to compressible to absorb the shocks.

I swopped for ride comfort reasons; bottoming out of suspension did not happen to me, and mine is the heavier E300 somemore.

I know.

Agree.

The shock rates are different for the 2 set ups, and also AVG is 15mm lower for both springs and shocks.

Used to scrap hump at my place on full load but after I changed to Michelin PS4 from stock Conti tyres, the problem disappeared somewhat. So Avantgarde with soft sidewalled tyres is a big no no if you drive with full load very often.

• Praise 1

Used to scrap hump at my place on full load but after I changed to Michelin PS4 from stock Conti tyres, the problem disappeared somewhat. So Avantgarde with soft sidewalled tyres is a big no no if you drive with full load very often.

Maybe your old set of Conti Tires are under inflated.?

Maybe your old set of Conti Tires are under inflated.?

No, I don’t like too soft a ride, so I inflated them to the max. I actually pumped less on my PS4 now.

Surprising to know that stock shock is so soft.

It is not soft, in fact it takes corner very firmly and nice to drive. But the shock is about 3cm lower than the elegance model, so the under carriage get scratched very easily. Front in around car park stands a high risk of hitting curbs too. I am not sure this is peculiar to w211, now i change to a w212 elegance, dare not try avantgarde , not sure if w212 avantgarde has a higher under carriage clearance or not.

No, I don’t like too soft a ride, so I inflated them to the max. I actually pumped less on my PS4 now.

I also usually over inflate by a few psi. Haha, maybe we should have gotten bigger tyres?

Looking for a 2009 or 2010 Mercedes E-class, need advise here. Is it easy to maintain? Any particular problem/issue?

Thanks.

Almost 8-9 Years old Mercedes Benz.?Good Luck to You.... :a-confused:  [bigcry] A tickling Time Bomb...

Looking for a 2009 or 2010 Mercedes E-class, need advise here. Is it easy to maintain? Any particular problem/issue?

Thanks.

Buy the newer 2.0 facelift W212, it drives a lot better.

I have been driving a W212 for almost 3 years, bought new, built quality is very good. Just regular maintenance but my previous preowned Benz gave me so much headache i scrapped it prematurely. I personally won't recommend buying old Mercy unless you know the history and or have a lot of time to visit workshop.

• Praise 1

Hi,

I intend to buy a W212 2010 model. Anything that I have to look out for during test drive. The car condition look good and service by C&C. Advise needed. Thanks.

Hi thanks so much for your offer. My concerns with the avantgarde shocks is the under carriage will get scratched when driving through humps. At least that was my previous experince. I will live with the less stiff shocks and see how it goes.
Thanks for your advice on oil change too.

↡ Advertisement