2014 Honda Jazz / Fit (GK Series)

ren_yeo

I seriously don't know, first time buying a car, I don't even know how to test drive, how to tell the different?

All I want is a small car easy to drive and easy to maintain, and most important easy to park. I am very bad at parking. haha

U will just have to test drive both and see what u like. Whatever we can tell u here will be what we like/dislike, which will probably not correspond to your likes and dislikes.

↡ Advertisement

I seriously don't know, first time buying a car, I don't even know how to test drive, how to tell the different?

All I want is a small car easy to drive and easy to maintain, and most important easy to park. I am very bad at parking. haha

Both are Jap cars, so relatively easy to maintain. The new Mazda 2 is launching early next year, so may be can wait.

Don't you have guy friends who you can bring along? Or girl friends who have cars?

Basically, test drive is just going down to the showroom and test-driving the car for a short while to get a feel of how it is like on the road. You won't be able to tell everything from that short drive, but at least you will get an idea of how the car performs and at the same time, you can get a detailed look at the interior and the features. Of course, you can also ask the sales exec any questions you might have about the car. Actually, both Mazda 2 and Jazz should fulfill your criteria of a compact, low maintenance and easy to drive/park car, so you should test both and see which gives you a better feel or experience and perhaps proceed from there.

• Praise 2

I just test drive jazz and city 1 week ago. It was a red jazz, RS version. The car is quiet, light wheel, and I feel that the brake is a bit "swallow" (light brake).

• Praise 3

I just test drive jazz and city 1 week ago. It was a red jazz, RS version. The car is quiet, light wheel, and I feel that the brake is a bit "swallow" (light brake).

Shallow,you mean? Swallow has a very different connotation on this forum. 😓
  • Praise 1

I'm driving a civic now and actually wanted to get another Civic. But the new one is Thailand-assembled and I don't like the 2-tier dashboard and the interior feels poorly made. 1.6l at $127k.

I actually checked out the Jazz also.

The SE told be Jazz's scrap value is around $3k but sgmart states $6k, not sure which is accurate.

But when I did the calculations based on Jazz's $3k scarpe value and interest at 1.88%, 40% downpayment, total cost is $110,263.

For civic, it will be 50% downpayment due to OMV over $20k, cost is $113,679.

I test drove both and can immediately feel the difference right after I pulled out from the carpark, Civic is defintely smoother to drive.

But I can live with the Jazz's performance.

Ideally I prefer to get a 100% Japanese made car but seems like Jazz's total cost is only $3k less than civic...doesn't seem to make economical sense to buy this over a civic. Yet, I'm apprehensive on the Thai-assembled Civic and at 1.6l and the interior design.

Would like to hear your thoughts and opinions.

• Praise 3

I am not buying new, looking at resale. My friend told me to buy an old car to knock around first, she said I so blur sure will have many knocks. haha

Both are Jap cars, so relatively easy to maintain. The new Mazda 2 is launching early next year, so may be can wait.

Don't you have guy friends who you can bring along? Or girl friends who have cars?

Thanks Limpeh23, I wanted to zoom in first, very tiring to go test cars. haha

Basically, test drive is just going down to the showroom and test-driving the car for a short while to get a feel of how it is like on the road. You won't be able to tell everything from that short drive, but at least you will get an idea of how the car performs and at the same time, you can get a detailed look at the interior and the features. Of course, you can also ask the sales exec any questions you might have about the car. Actually, both Mazda 2 and Jazz should fulfill your criteria of a compact, low maintenance and easy to drive/park car, so you should test both and see which gives you a better feel or experience and perhaps proceed from there.

I am not buying new, looking at resale. My friend told me to buy an old car to knock around first, she said I so blur sure will have many knocks. haha

Thanks Limpeh23, I wanted to zoom in first, very tiring to go test cars. haha

Then make sure you shop around the more reputable resellers. They maybe slightly more expensive, and while its no guarantee, they will be less likely to risk their reputation and try shit with you. Shop around sgcarmart.

• Praise 1

Then make sure you shop around the more reputable resellers. They maybe slightly more expensive, and while its no guarantee, they will be less likely to risk their reputation and try shit with you. Shop around sgcarmart.

x2

and please bring a few friends who knows cars (preferably guys) so the dealers won't try to makan you. send the car for AA checks also. AA is preferred cause its more thorough. you gotta pay for the check though.

Edited by Eighttales
  • Praise 4

Thank you Genes, so sweet of you.

I am actually quite worry, hear so many bad things about car dealers, all so scary one. Hopefully I can get everything done and start driving before my new job starts in Jan. haha

• Praise 4

Thank you Genes, so sweet of you.

I am actually quite worry, hear so many bad things about car dealers, all so scary one. Hopefully I can get everything done and start driving before my new job starts in Jan. haha

Just be careful with what you sign.

• Praise 2

I'm driving a civic now and actually wanted to get another Civic. But the new one is Thailand-assembled and I don't like the 2-tier dashboard and the interior feels poorly made. 1.6l at $127k.

I actually checked out the Jazz also.

The SE told be Jazz's scrap value is around $3k but sgmart states $6k, not sure which is accurate.

But when I did the calculations based on Jazz's $3k scarpe value and interest at 1.88%, 40% downpayment, total cost is $110,263.

For civic, it will be 50% downpayment due to OMV over $20k, cost is $113,679.

I test drove both and can immediately feel the difference right after I pulled out from the carpark, Civic is defintely smoother to drive.

But I can live with the Jazz's performance.

Ideally I prefer to get a 100% Japanese made car but seems like Jazz's total cost is only $3k less than civic...doesn't seem to make economical sense to buy this over a civic. Yet, I'm apprehensive on the Thai-assembled Civic and at 1.6l and the interior design.

Would like to hear your thoughts and opinions.

I saw the price list in mid-Dec 2014. The price gap between Civic 1.6 and Jazz 1.5 is $14k. Using loan amount differences to work out the "cost" of a car is not really a reflection of the car value (and not an apple-to-apple comparison) - ultimately the loan amount is a buyer's choice/decision. Personally I would not use this as a reference but I guess people evaluate differently.

Full disclosure : I have recently booked the Jazz 1.5 RS. Hence what I state here may be construed as bias [lipsrsealed] ... read with your own judgement.

The Jazz has unbelievable interior space. I'm 1.86m but I do not need to move the driver's seat all the way back - that says a lot. Even if I do, there is still adequate legroom behind. The rear cabin floor is almost flat - a bonus for 3 rear passengers.

For the Jazz 1.5 RS, other than the more powerful engine, it is chock full of features -

• LED headlights & tail lamps
  • LED DRLs
  • Fog lights
  • Rear roof spoiler
  • 16" rims
  • All-round disc brakes
  • Steering wheel telescopic + tilt adjust
  • Steering audio controls
  • Steering paddle shifts for manual gear override
  • Cruise-control
  • Push-button start/stop
  • Full touchscreen 7" control panel w/climate control
  • Built-in Bluetooth connectivity, USB and HDMI ports
  • Multi-angle rear view camera
  • ABS & Vehicle Stability Assist (only two front airbags)
  • Hill Start Assist
  • Middle armrests (front and rear)
  • Leather seats
  • Alu pedals
  • Illuminated alu door sills

... the interior feel is really quite premium. By comparison (with similar car), the Nissan Note interior feels rather spartan.

Best of all is the FC - on paper it is 5.3l/100km or 18.87km/l. My drive to work is mostly expressway - if I can hit just 15km/l that's already twice as fuel-efficient as my current MPV.

There seem to be very few new Jazz on the roads - which I can understand since people may feel that this car gives less "face". But we're making a practical choice : to spend less and get more bang for the buck. Also, consider another two possible advantages : if I decide to sell this car after a few years, it should be easy due to limited supply in the used car market; if it can last me ten years, and if the tax/COE structure is not much changed, it would be quite viable to renew COE for another 10 years since the scrap value and engine cap is low.

Anyway, it's non-guaranteed COE bidding so can't confirm we will get to own it yet...

• Praise 5

I saw the price list in mid-Dec 2014. The price gap between Civic 1.6 and Jazz 1.5 is $14k. Using loan amount differences to work out the "cost" of a car is not really a reflection of the car value (and not an apple-to-apple comparison) - ultimately the loan amount is a buyer's choice/decision. Personally I would not use this as a reference but I guess people evaluate differently.

Full disclosure : I have recently booked the Jazz 1.5 RS. Hence what I state here may be construed as bias [lipsrsealed] ... read with your own judgement.

The Jazz has unbelievable interior space. I'm 1.86m but I do not need to move the driver's seat all the way back - that says a lot. Even if I do, there is still adequate legroom behind. The rear cabin floor is almost flat - a bonus for 3 rear passengers.

For the Jazz 1.5 RS, other than the more powerful engine, it is chock full of features -

• LED headlights & tail lamps
  • LED DRLs
  • Fog lights
  • Rear roof spoiler
  • 16" rims
  • All-round disc brakes
  • Steering wheel telescopic + tilt adjust
  • Steering audio controls
  • Steering paddle shifts for manual gear override
  • Cruise-control
  • Push-button start/stop
  • Full touchscreen 7" control panel w/climate control
  • Built-in Bluetooth connectivity, USB and HDMI ports
  • Multi-angle rear view camera
  • ABS & Vehicle Stability Assist (only two front airbags)
  • Hill Start Assist
  • Middle armrests (front and rear)
  • Leather seats
  • Alu pedals
  • Illuminated alu door sills

... the interior feel is really quite premium. By comparison (with similar car), the Nissan Note interior feels rather spartan.

Best of all is the FC - on paper it is 5.3l/100km or 18.87km/l. My drive to work is mostly expressway - if I can hit just 15km/l that's already twice as fuel-efficient as my current MPV.

There seem to be very few new Jazz on the roads - which I can understand since people may feel that this car gives less "face". But we're making a practical choice : to spend less and get more bang for the buck. Also, consider another two possible advantages : if I decide to sell this car after a few years, it should be easy due to limited supply in the used car market; if it can last me ten years, and if the tax/COE structure is not much changed, it would be quite viable to renew COE for another 10 years since the scrap value and engine cap is low.

Anyway, it's non-guaranteed COE bidding so can't confirm we will get to own it yet...

Congrats on your purchase and wish you good luck to obtain your COE!

Jazz is without doubt a good car and has been voted Compact Hatchback of the Year in sg car mart annual poll plus People's Pick and overall Car of the Year so you can't be much wrong!

Pls keep us posted and also feedback on this car when you eventually get it.

Thanks and Happy New Year!!!!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 11