Haiz...another suicide?

Tt_hh

JOHOR BARU: A 42-year-old Singaporean is in critical condition with serious burns to his body after he set himself on fire near a petrol station in Century Gardens here yesterday.

The victim, whose name was withheld pending investigations, suffered 100 per cent burns to his body and is being warded at Sultanah Aminah Hospital.

Investigations revealed that the victim had used a four-litre petrol container to buy fuel from the station on the pretext that his car had broken down at about 9.20am.

Following that, he walked away from the petrol station while dousing himself with the petrol.

Johor Baru Selatan police chief Assistant Commissioner Sulaiman Salleh said the victim then set himself on fire with a cigarette lighter.

"Then the victim, who was in flames, started running to a nearby hotel before he fell into a drain, which was about 50m from the petrol station."

Sulaiman said members of the public had immediately called for an ambulance to take him to hospital.

He confirmed the victim was in critical condition following the burns he suffered.

Sulaiman said police were investigating the cause of the incident as well as identifying the victim's family, with assistance from the Singapore consulate's office here.

↡ Advertisement

How come go all the way to JB for self-immolation?

I'm guessing it's because it's illegal to take one's own life in Sinkapor or he's simply a fruitcake but I may be wrong

his paraphernalia for self-immolation below

ST_20140413_PLBURN13_4094528e.jpg

Supersonic

I understand from a station manager that its illegal (unsure if its too strong a word) for a petrol station to sell petrol this way in Sin. U need to pump into the car/bike directly. Esp where Sin is small & stations are aplenty, reasons like "my car ran out of gas" may not be entertained. They prob fear they use the petrol for "unintended" purposes...ah long ?

But of course he could always have purchased kerosene, methylated spirit etc from a hardware shop. However, assuming his mind was really unsound & have gone beyond the outer limits (considering the very extreme route taken), its understandable that he could not brain storm for alternatives if hes bent on self immolation.) After all, when msm potray self immolation protest in other countries, its always petrol.

Edited by Baal
  • Praise 1

I understand from a station manager that its illegal (unsure if its too strong a word) for a petrol station to sell petrol this way in Sin. U need to pump into the car/bike directly. Esp where Sin is small & stations are aplenty, reasons like "my car ran out of gas" may not be entertained. They prob fear they use the petrol for "unintended" purposes...ah long ?

But of course he could always have purchased kerosene, methylated spirit etc from a hardware shop. However, assuming his mind was really unsound & have gone beyond the outer limits (considering the very extreme route taken), its understandable that he could not brain storm for alternatives if hes bent on self immolation.) After all, when msm potray self immolation protest in other countries, its always petrol.

Singapore can ah, just that it has to be into a metal container. They'll even sell you the little tin to carry the petrol, at a stupid mark-up.

Not like last time can pump into plastic bottle etc.

Singapore can ah, just that it has to be into a metal container. They'll even sell you the little tin to carry the petrol, at a stupid mark-up.

Confirm can but they will take your particulars (NRIC number, etc) down and you have to state the use (lawn mower, car ran out of petrol).

Supersonic

back in 98 when I was a pump attendant, ever sold a couple of 1 litre bot of petrol to bikers who ran out of petrol, using a empty 1 litre eo plastic bot. It was kept for that purpose.

but subsequently when i pumped petrol in Sin many some years back, a biker asked for the same. But the attendant declined. Later the station manager came out & hesitantly sold a bottle of petrol to the biker in a similar manner, but heard him muttering that ....by right cannot sell this way.

Maybe now they can but in a metal tin i guess.

Confirm can but they will take your particulars (NRIC number, etc) down and you have to state the use (lawn mower, car ran out of petrol).

arrh....ok, so now regulation added. Makes sense also.

Just saw the news too.

To make statement?

Or purely suicidal?

possible, if its also a protest suicide like rail way.

He knows that boleh Gov sure blow the matter in their news.

Edited by Baal

Supersonic

You can buy petrol separately in SG, but they only allow you to pump into metal container, which they sell for your convenience.

You need to produce ID, and signed.

They even ask purchase purpose. And of coz, it's for a car that ran out of petrol.

Now, I wonder if you write something else, like starting a bon fire, what would they do ?

But it isn't really that difficult to pull petrol out from a car's tank, if you want petrol for other purposes.

Edited by Kb27
  • Praise 1

Can buy Petrol in SG la. Just that it will come in the form of Metal Tin. My friend last year drove car and run out of petrol and he went to nearest petrol station to buy petrol while I wait for him beside his car.

If SG cannot sell petrol for this kind of purposes, how are those really so blur cock or those really genuine need petrol due to run out of gas to continue to top up petrol ??

Supercharged

Can buy without qns asked... last year my car ran out of petrol and i just walk into a petrol station (shell) buy a metal tin from them, fill it up with 95, pay and left...

Why? Why? Why commit suicide use the hard way? Its painful you know being burn, i would rather jump from Petronas Tower at least i get to enjoy before i die....

You see even though he chose the hard way but things become worse as he never die, now he will live in hard ways in the remaining of his life smelling chao da smell.

P.s don't take my word seriously and jump from petronas, comitting suicide is like betraying your mother for giving birth of you...

• Praise 3

Why? Why? Why commit suicide use the hard way? Its painful you know being burn, i would rather jump from Petronas Tower at least i get to enjoy before i die....

You see even though he chose the hard way but things become worse as he never die, now he will live in hard ways in the remaining of his life smelling chao da smell.

P.s don't take my word seriously and jump from petronas, comitting suicide is like betraying your mother for giving birth of you...

Can exprain why jump from tall building can get enjoyment before die ?

panoramic view?

got time to regret while falling down mah.......

Just saw the news too.

To make statement?

Or purely suicidal?

bloody petrol to expensive in Singapore....zzzz

must be damn desperate to go till this stage..... [:(]

• Praise 1

Supersonic

You can buy petrol separately in SG, but they only allow you to pump into metal container, which they sell for your convenience.

You need to produce ID, and signed.

They even ask purchase purpose. And of coz, it's for a car that ran out of petrol.

Now, I wonder if you write something else, like starting a bon fire, what would they do ?

But it isn't really that difficult to pull petrol out from a car's tank, if you want petrol for other purposes.

I think ur last sentenced nailed it for those syndicates with dubious purposes.

Supersonic

Self immolation is arguably the most painful. Since he had 100% burns, I doubt hes going to make it & hope that in this case, they'll not be stingy with morphine.

↡ Advertisement