Employee's obligation after signing appointment letter

Simonsoh

nothing wrong to earn more $$$.

Tell me who doesnt work for better pay? I have colleague jumped ship just because the other company pay $100-200 more!

why not? 10 cents also marnie. Not as if we signed slave contracts with employers.

My teenage years, frens jump ship because of 10cents leh. McD was paying $2/hr, KFC was paying $2.10/hr.

That time, 10cents can buy three hacks blackcurrent sweet.

but most will send letter asking you to pay up. Don't kan cheong spider.

Most company will not pursue... why?? In the letter of employment, during probation period, the notice to resign is usually 2 weeks to 2 months.

If the company insist to make the new employee stay and serve the notice, its nothing but paying extra $$$ to him for nothing. How productive can a new bird be in his 1st 2 weeks/ 2mths of his employment?? The company is more than happy to ask the guy not to start work...

In today's context, especially here, it's the employees that get bullied/short-changed more than the other way round.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

nothing wrong to earn more $$$.

why not? 10 cents also marnie. Not as if we signed slave contracts with employers.

but most will send letter asking you to pay up. Don't kan cheong spider.

any addition dignity is always welcum [grin]

• Praise 2

I think the company should show some class and thank Simon for intending to join

their firm, wish him the best for his future and keep the door open by

saying maybe one day there might be an opportunity to work together again.

If they chose Simon he must have been the best candidate of all the interviewees

and if he stays in the same industry he is increasing his experince and seniority everyday.

One day the company may need someone with his specialty and experience

and they would have already given him a great account of their management style.

If they arrogantly tell him off or even worse threaten to sue, they would have

lost the goodwill of a potentially very good staff and maybe worse for them

a potential customer.

:D

• Praise 1

Supercharged

if a person sign a letter of appointment with a new coy, start date of employment is one month later. but for some reason, on the 3rd week (one week to start date of new job), decides he does not want to join, what are his exposure?

MOM website say nothing in the MOM law applies cuz the employer/ employee relationship havent start. but coy has every right to persue civil claims.

question is how often does this happen? any HR expert here...?

with everyone's comments on your question, i must tell you to look into the contract T/C that was signed.

As far as I know all companies hire people when they need them and all let people go

when they have to.

If anyone here knows of any company that keep staff they cannot afford,

please let me know I would love to work for them.

On behalf of my company I have hired many people and also many times had to let

people go because of economics reason and through no fault of the staff.

So advising people not to be mercenary towards companies, I think that's a two way street.

My first job I was interviewed by a HR director who told me he wanted to only

hire people that wanted to work a long time with the company and not

people that would leave because of better pay. I only had the pleasure of working

with him for one month as he left for another job with better pay. Thank goodness its only 1 month

as I like nothing better than to work with people that mean what they say and say what they mean. Slick operators that only like to tell you what you like to hear are really not my cup of tea.

I also learnt that its always good to learn from what people do and not what people say especially on forums.

When you leave for a better job you are a mercenary, when they leave for a better job it because they belong to a fairly niche specialty and high seniority etc etc.

For me if anyone left for a better job I am just happy for them and I would never call them mercenary. I see it as trying to give their family a better life.

well said, James

BTW i did work for a company that kept staff even when company couldnt afford it.

HR told me it is because the big boss cared for the workers, but after a while, i realized it is because the big boss likes his face very much and firing people is deemed to be very sia suay

Tell me who doesnt work for better pay? I have colleague jumped ship just because the other company pay $100-200 more!

seriously? You mean the extra hundreds can compensate them for the loss in accrued bonus, increment etc?

or they jump ship to a new industry with more prospect?

• Praise 1

seriously? You mean the extra hundreds can compensate them for the loss in accrued bonus, increment etc?

or they jump ship to a new industry with more prospect?

Serious, they dont bother on the loss in accrued bonus and increment, even they jumped ship just of the $100-200. Also i believe that nobody can guarantee the prospect in a company, if you dont start working in that company. Interviewee can tell you that they can do this can do that during interview. Likewise interviewer can also paint you a very nice picture and prospect of their company during interview.

Edited by 13177

as I like nothing better than to work with people that mean what they say and say what they mean. Slick operators that only like to tell you what you like to hear are really not my cup of tea.

I also learnt that its always good to learn from what people do and not what people say especially on forums.

When you leave for a better job you are a mercenary, when they leave for a better job it because they belong to a fairly niche specialty and high seniority etc etc.

For me if anyone left for a better job I am just happy for them and I would never call them mercenary. I see it as trying to give their family a better life.

You are the best and forever the best. Hahahahaha. Touche, touche. Empty vessels make the most noise.

• Praise 1

if a person sign a letter of appointment with a new coy, start date of employment is one month later. but for some reason, on the 3rd week (one week to start date of new job), decides he does not want to join, what are his exposure?

MOM website say nothing in the MOM law applies cuz the employer/ employee relationship havent start. but coy has every right to persue civil claims.

question is how often does this happen? any HR expert here...?

Nuthing unless he signed something that says he has to pay a penalty or training bond. Whatever it is, it should apply to both party.

look thru the employment letter T&C.

If nothing, just politely inform the company, and thank them for the opportunity and understanding.

Don't abruptly cut the ties, cos you never know when you may go into the same company next time.

Dun burn bridges...

There will be two issues at play -

What CAN the employer do,

What is it WORTH the employer doing.

Whether or not the employee can "jump ship" will be in the terms written in the employment contract (once letter of offer is signed, you are an employee)

Most of the low - mid level contracts I see are such that for non-confirmed staff, notice is anywhere between 1 week and 1 month.

So, if the employee jumps ship with less than the notice period - by rights, they have to pay in lieu of notice as per the contract.

By left, however - it's something pretty difficult for the employer to be worthwhile pursuing. I don't think employment is covered by small claims court - so you have to engage a lawyer to chase it through the court system.

The expense of engaging a lawyer, court costs etc etc will be way more than you could expect to recover. Of course - if you are right, you will be awarded costs. BUT my understanding is that it is rare for 100% of costs to be awarded - figures like 60% are more common. By the time that you factor in even 40% of costs, with the uncertainty of winning - against someone that doesn't want to work with you, it doesn't seem like much of a winning proposition to me.

Now of course - the employee needs to remember that Singapore is a very small place still, and you never know when you will run across someone again, so you don't want to be burning bridges.

By the same token - no employer wants the reputation that they sue and "bully" employees (yes, I know, employer is in the right, so it's not really bullying, but still, they have a power differential and who wants to work for someone like that?)

The upshot? As an employee - I would be as honest with the employer as possible, while still not going to work, as the employer - I would KPKB but ultimately LLST

If the person has not started, there isnt any notice to serve.

turboflat, thanks for your inputs.

since you are so straightforward, i will be too, so that you get the whole pic.

firstly i agree that there is a question of integrity, but its something I am willing to compromise in this instance.

The offer came in on a Sat afternoon and there was only a small window to decide as coy wanted a confirmation by monday. The nature of the work and working hours caused a small childcare arrangement concern that I thought I could easily get around so I signed on mon.

The childcare arrangement adjustment was trickier than I thought and I finally decided that we, as a family, couldn't get around it without some possible compromise to the well-being of our child. So I forgo the bump in salary and brighter prospect and so the resignation letter was never submitted. So not a case of jumping ship. It's a case of not honouring the contract by staying put.

Was I silly to sign when I was not 100% sure I would get around the childcare problem? Yes.

Will I regret this in the future? maybe.

Am I willing to risk having this regret. Yes.

Anyway, I will be telling the truth to the coy and hope they understand. They should do whatever they deem fit. I just want to be prepared and have a sensing of the HR practice out there.

As explained, nobody else came along. What did I say to led you to this assumption? Its a case of impulsive commitment. But before engagement date, there was a compelling factor that was discovered that may cause potential problem.

Just be honest with the HR and say that you have personal concerns. If I m HR, I will appreciate your honesty rather than wasting everybody's time by starting then deciding to leave after 2month... I rather the staff dun come in

Edited by Raymondism

Usually is not the employing company asking for compensation, rather is the employment agency which will ask you to sign a contract stated clearly in this contract, that after signing the LO, should you leave the employing company before xx month(s), you must pay 1 month in lieu of your salary to the employment agency as compensation and so on..... -_-

Usually is not the employing company asking for compensation, rather is the employment agency which will ask you to sign a contract stated clearly in this contract, that after signing the LO, should you leave the employing company before xx month(s), you must pay 1 month in lieu of your salary to the employment agency as compensation and so on..... -_-

employment agency usually work for the employer, why would a potential candidate want to sign a contract with the agency?

very seldom the agency is working for the candidate.

employment agency usually work for the employer, why would a potential candidate want to sign a contract with the agency?

Bro, there is really such thing when they screen you first while asking you to fill in an application form and sign off the form as a form of agreement and terms and conditions stated as such! I don't know what will happen if the candidate refuse to sign and will still get the referral! [confused]

The candidate could sign contract with agency when the agency successfully found a job for the candidate?! Maybe not a contract but a form of letter that candidate agreed to stay with the company for a period and the stated salary package offered?!

The candidate could sign contract with agency when the agency successfully found a job for the candidate?! Maybe not a contract but a form of letter that candidate agreed to stay with the company for a period and the stated salary package offered?!

I think you are referring to those job agencies with you place your profile to them and ask them to match make a job for you but such case is very few.

most of the cases will be the employer engage the agency to advertise the job, candidate dun need to sign any document with agency. If you quit within 3 months, the agency need to replace a candidate for the employer.

Seems there are two sorts of posters here. The first are the kind that actually give considered advice, and whether that's right or wrong is subjective. The second are the kind that just snipe with barbed remarks at the thoughtful posts of others, and think they're coming off as clever. Well, well, it's par for the course for MCF, no surprises here.

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

I also got this issues...

Signed the contract liao but that received a better offer few days later.

So Informed the hr few days later tat i wld like to back out n explain why. Told her tat i am willing to fulfill the 1 week notice requirement. Kena scold for not honouring as she tries so hard to bring me in.

During the time i sign the letter, the manager was not around to sign it so i didnt receive my copy of the letter. Is the contract still valid?

If i have not start work, Do i still have to fulfill the 1 week notice?

Thanks

I think you are referring to those job agencies with you place your profile to them and ask them to match make a job for you but such case is very few.

most of the cases will be the employer engage the agency to advertise the job, candidate dun need to sign any document with agency. If you quit within 3 months, the agency need to replace a candidate for the employer.

I jumped ship last Oct after a recruitment agency called me.

And I had to sign a contract that if after some xx mths if I resigned, I need to pay half or 1 mth of my salary as compensation......but not sure compensation to the agency or the company.

I forgo my bonus and increment and though I'm not eligible to any bonus in my new company given out recently, I'm still happy that I made the right choice.

no recourse

even employee report to work ... he/she can resign with 1 week notice (before confirmation) ... chop chop

similarly, the employee given up a stable job and went to a new company

giving his/her best and yet the "supervisor" feel no shiok also can give 1 week notice ... chop chop

unless we are talking about C-group ... got golden handshake and million dollar bonus kind of contract

CXO are of different league.

I jumped ship last Oct after a recruitment agency called me.

And I had to sign a contract that if after some xx mths if I resigned, I need to pay half or 1 mth of my salary as compensation......but not sure compensation to the agency or the company.

I forgo my bonus and increment and though I'm not eligible to any bonus in my new company given out recently, I'm still happy that I made the right choice.

if a recruitment agency call you because you match the requirement of their client (who engage them recruit), why should you be the one signing any agreement with them? It is their job to find the most suitable candidate.

If you quit, you just have to serve whatever notice stated in the employment agreement without paying a cent. The agency have to compensate their client, they just want to minimize their loss.

↡ Advertisement