Seiko Astron GPS Solar Watch

NightWind

Hi all was wondering if any bros bought a Seiko Astron. IMHO its the most technologically advanced watch todate with amazing accuracy. Time is GPS synced automatically to a satellite and it does this when it detects sunlight as it charges.

see: http://www.ablogtowatch.com/seiko-astron-gps-solar-chronograph-watch-baselworld-2014/

The High Intensity Titanium versions r the ones I like the most, although they cost more.

Pls share your thoughts and experience.

Oh by the way I know that this lowly watch will not appeal to the watch purists who favour their Tags, Omegas, Rolex etc so I am not comparing this watch to any of the premium models. The focus here is the technology behind the watch and how the manufacturer brought it all into one completely package.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

That's a valid point, the watch is not cheap. But at the moment there is no other watch in the world that does what it does so beautifully too.

The watch is built and designed to last;

a) There are two solar charged batteries and one is depleted first before recharging so battery life is preserved

b) Watch is solar powered, no battery replacement needed

c) Unlike the other wave-captor watches that rely on emitting towers, this one determines your location anywhere in the world and automatically syncs to the satellite time.

d) Accuracy of the Astron is +- 1-5 secs every 100,000 years

e) Tough High Intensity Titanium with Ceramic Bezel and crystal glass shows quality materials used which are built to last

There are also cheaper stainless steel Astrons but I like the High Intensity Titanium models the best.

Hey dun say until like that leh. I like watches regardless of brand. I also dun snub Japanese watches. As long as the watches are interesting and it appeals to me I will buy. This watch you recommend is not bad and quite interesting.

Btw I have a chronograph Panerai, Chrono tag heuer, entry Luminox and the latest is my Pebble smartwatch.

• Praise 1

Very expensive watch. And it didn't include a HAQ quartz. Even if it doesn't need one because of GPS sync, but for the paying more than $3000, they should not scrimp on this.

Imho, the technology it has has can be found in lower priced watch, like the GPS sync are already in most sport watches. Other competitors also has their version of solar powered watches.

Sorry Watswheels I did not mean any offence bro. I just wanted to clarify this watch is not in same category with the typical premium brands.

Like u I buy the watch not because of the branding but because of the physical tangible attributes of the watch. I own a GPS Timex Run Trainer running watch and a G-Shock Touch solar gravity defier. I was looking fer years for a Titanium Solar Powered GPS watch that synced time automatically with a satteltite.

The wave-captor watches (like edifice) r useless unless u r in range of the 5 emiting towers.

I had no brand in mind, my search prameters were;

1) GPS Auto synced time

2) Solar Powered

3) Titanium Construct

4) Perpetual Calendar

5) Water Resistance for swimming and bathing

And I ended up with the Astron after multiple searches both on the net as well as via the watch vendors.

I hope that clears the air bro. :)

Hey dun say until like that leh. I like watches regardless of brand. I also dun snub Japanese watches. As long as the watches are interesting and it appeals to me I will buy. This watch you recommend is not bad and quite interesting.

Btw I have a chronograph Panerai, Chrono tag heuer, entry Luminox and the latest is my Pebble smartwatch.

(edited)

Hi there u r right GPS is not a new feature. My Timex and Garmin forerunner r GPS watches but for the record they are running watches built to record mileage and pace and the distance and tracking. I know this because my running watch still needs time adjustments every few weeks.

The other important trait is that GPS function is an energy guzzler. I turn the GPS on fer the Garmin only when I run. And the charge lasts only 6-8hours before it depletes and I got to dock it to my pc to charge it. More importantly the battery's ability to retain the charge is compromised after a year.

With the Astron the GPS is triggered autoimatically when ever I am near a window and the watch syncs to the satellite time without me ever touching a button. You will also see this when I travel between time zones. And the watch also charges automatically.

When they built this watch, they really did think of everything. There are two solar batteries so one is depleted first before recharging starts so battery life is preserved.

And this is not designed as a running GPS watch. So I hope that clears the air :)

Very expensive watch. And it didn't include a HAQ quartz. Even if it doesn't need one because of GPS sync, but for the paying more than $3000, they should not scrimp on this.

Imho, the technology it has has can be found in lower priced watch, like the GPS sync are already in most sport watches. Other competitors also has their version of solar powered watches.

Hi Turbo by "mechanical" I think u also include the premium brands. I don't think accuracy is the main concern with these watches. Its more the branding and snob appeal.

This is a watch I would take any day over those relatively inaccurate mechanical watches.

Edited by NightWind

Hi Turbo by "mechanical" I think u also include the premium brands. I don't think accuracy is the main concern with these watches. Its more the branding and snob appeal.

Yes, and those are the exact things I have disdain for.

Hi there u r right GPS is not a new feature. My Timex and Garmin forerunner r GPS watches but for the record they are running watches built to record mileage and pace and the distance and tracking. I know this because my running watch still needs time adjustments every few weeks.

The other important trait is that GPS function is an energy guzzler. I turn the GPS on fer the Garmin only when I run. And the charge lasts only 6-8hours before it depletes and I got to dock it to my pc to charge it. More importantly the battery's ability to retain the charge is compromised after a year.

With the Astron the GPS is triggered autoimatically when ever I am near a window and the watch syncs to the satellite time without me ever touching a button. You will also see this when I travel between time zones. And the watch also charges automatically.

When they built this watch, they really did think of everything. There are two solar batteries so one is depleted first before recharging starts so battery life is preserved.

And this is not designed as a running GPS watch. So I hope that clears the air :)

It's a nice watch, get it if these are the features you like.

For battery life, you may want to consider the 310XT, or the forerunner 410. I'm using the 410, after 5hrs of constant GPS lock, still got about 60%.

Thanks Enders. I have been through several GPS running watches and they suffer the same problems as the Ipones and Laptops and mobile devices.

The ability of the battery to retain the charge diminishes over the months and years. My Timex on paper used to have GPS lock of 8hours. Now its down to 5hours. That's not a problem fer me as I run on 21km races and need max 2.5hrs.

But my point is that all the mobile batteries suffer the same fate. The Astron solves this problem via its energy management system and it also has dual batteries that charge from sunlight. The battery charges only when its completely drained.

Yeah I saw the Forruner 410, when my current running watch fails (and it will) I may get that.

Thks fer the recommendtions

oh yeah I heard they cancelled this morn's Run 350 due to bad weather. I hope none of the bros here signed up fer that event

It's a nice watch, get it if these are the features you like.

For battery life, you may want to consider the 310XT, or the forerunner 410. I'm using the 410, after 5hrs of constant GPS lock, still got about 60%.

Sorry to hear that bro. I guess there wont b a refund and they wont reschedule the race?

Did u sign fer the 21km?

I did my 11km this morn and it was abit wet but it was ok so this is rather unexpected.

I was there. It was raining, but the concern was the lightning. Anyway, went home and ran 5km..

This new Casio model has just been announced....should be out anytime soon:

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/casio-g-shock-gpw1000-first-watch-combines-gps-atomic-clock-radio-time-syncing/

If you are living in Japan, Korea, China and HK which can receive atomic clock signal, you can get the best of both worlds from this watch. In Singapore, I can only occasionally get a sync from the atomic clock signal, which I believe is from Southern Japan, from my 6-band G-Shock.

Edited by Kilomatrix
  • Praise 2

This new Casio model has just been announced....should be out anytime soon:

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/casio-g-shock-gpw1000-first-watch-combines-gps-atomic-clock-radio-time-syncing/

If you are living in Japan, Korea, China and HK which can receive atomic clock signal, you can get the best of both worlds from this watch. In Singapore, I can only occasionally get a sync from the atomic clock signal, which I believe is from Southern Japan, from my 6-band G-Shock.

I really like the casio EQW range of watches. I have one of the atomic watches, but have not able to sync it. And this watches are basically perpetual calendar, world time, GMT function, chrono, solar watches without the extra premium.

↡ Advertisement