Seiko Astron GPS Solar Watch

NightWind

Neutral Newbie

hi Bros, stumble into this thread while I was search for info on theses watches.. I am pretty impressed by these due to the technologies they used.. it will be cool to own one.

where is the best place to go see, try them on before I commit?

aside to that, also the best place to buy? local or Japan?

thanks for help guys..

Hi there you can look for the seiko astron at Seiko Boutique. They have a store at Vivo City. Wait for the latest version to hit singapore later this year. It is small and thiner and has an additional chrono sub-dial expected RP depending on model is between SGD3-5k

Go fer the High Intensity Titanium model if i were you they are much nicer but also more ex.

But do some research on the watches before you commit to a purchase. Although these watches are not premium Rolex/Omega, they are still not cheap. But they are much more accurate and reliable. The Astron has an accuracy with error factor of 1 sec every 100,000/- yrs as it sync automatically via GPS with a sattelite. And is solar powered.

The watch never leaves my wrist and i never ever had to set it. Best investment i ever made.

hi Bros, stumble into this thread while I was search for info on theses watches.. I am pretty impressed by these due to the technologies they used.. it will be cool to own one.

where is the best place to go see, try them on before I commit?

aside to that, also the best place to buy? local or Japan?

thanks for help guys..

Citizen f100 will be released on 10th Oct.

Quite gian on this one, but i never spend more than $700 on a watch. I may have to break the 4 digit barrier on this one.

Edited by Ender

Hi is this in Citizen's eco drive range? What is the expected retail price? Is there a review link you can share with us?

Citizen f100 will be released on 10th Oct.
Quite gian on this one, but i never spend more than $700 on a watch. I may have to break the 4 digit barrier on this one.

Sorry Enders I forgot your previuous post. If the F100 is competing against Astron, the price range will prob be in similar SGD3-6k range. Noted its focus on speed of the GPS syn although tbh i have no complaints about how fast the Astron gets a GPS sync.

I have been looking at some of the offerings at Sgwatchmall ; http://www.sgwatchmall.com/getSale.php?searchBrand=Omega

The Rolex and Omegas look nice but they are just not as accurate or as durable/reliable as the watches we discussed here. And they cost 2-4 times the price too for the high end versions. I view these personally more as jewellery and decor eye candy.

For those seeking an alternative, please see my posts in the Watches IV thread featuring the Casio G-shock GPW-1000 Hybrid GPS Waveceptor series. This watch does what the Astron does, and more (in addition to the GPS sync, it is also capable of receiving 6 bands of atomic clock timekeeping frequency - which, alas, is a feature wasted in Singapore, but works in many other places). Plus it's a lot cheaper. It's less "elegant" looking than the Astron, but some may love the rugged looks. Plus I think it's likely to be a lot tougher, I swim with mine, basically thrash it about - it's a G-shock, after all.

I couldn't be happier with mine, and I think @Chowyunfatt (the user here, not the actor, I don't think. :D) is also very happy with his.

Not meaning to gatecrash your thread, Nightwind, it's just that I thought people would like to know about a very close relative of the Astron, with features and looks which might well appeal to some people. :D

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 2

Hi no prob Turboflat i discussed the GPW1000 in another forum and u r right it performs same functions as the Astron and borrowed some of seiko's techonolgy. In addition it is a first to combine Wave Ceptor with GPS sync.

I have a G-Shock Tough Solar Gravity Defier and its very tough but the resin strap broke. Watch is still good. For those who favour a cheaper rugged watch the GPW1000 is a winner over the Astron.

I still prefer the All titanium look of the Astron which i wear as a dress watch n also daily wear. I swim with it too, only time it leaves my wrist is when i do my runs and I have to use the Tom Tom GPS with infra HRM.

The watch (and titanium) just feels good on my wrist but there r those who will prefer the GPW1000. However here in singapore the waveceptor function is rather redundant as we are usually too far from nearest emitting tower ??? So the GPS sync is more reliable.

I saw the GPW afew days ago and its retail is $999/- and i am quite sure further discounts can be negotiated. Here is the AZ review of the GPW1000/-

http://youtu.be/DIUrpgKARes

Hi no prob Turboflat i discussed the GPW1000 in another forum and u r right it performs same functions as the Astron and borrowed some of seiko's techonolgy. In addition it is a first to combine Wave Ceptor with GPS sync.

I have a G-Shock Tough Solar Gravity Defier and its very tough but the resin strap broke. Watch is still good. For those who favour a cheaper rugged watch the GPW1000 is a winner over the Astron.

I still prefer the All titanium look of the Astron which i wear as a dress watch n also daily wear. I swim with it too, only time it leaves my wrist is when i do my runs and I have to use the Tom Tom GPS with infra HRM.

The watch (and titanium) just feels good on my wrist but there r those who will prefer the GPW1000. However here in singapore the waveceptor function is rather redundant as we are usually too far from nearest emitting tower ??? So the GPS sync is more reliable.

I saw the GPW afew days ago and its retail is $999/- and i am quite sure further discounts can be negotiated. Here is the AZ review of the GPW1000/-

http://youtu.be/DIUrpgKARes

Thanks. Yes, it's a matter of taste, and it's good we're spoilt for choice - especially with the new Citizen offering. :D

I'll be amazed if you can wangle a discount over $999 retail. I bought mine from G-Factory@ Plaza Singapura for this price. But it didn't look like a "bargaining" type shop, so I never tried. Should I have?

Comparing to overseas the Casio GPS in Singapore retailing at $999 is already cheaper than overseas at discounted. May even get certain % off if get from shops in bencoolen. Tempting.

I wonder if ebay has better price? Do they have an all titanium version of the GPW1000? If they did it would look much nicer but would also increase price by 30% approx.

I like the older MTG1000 which has a stainless steel version; but it does not have GPS sync. see;

http://youtu.be/_XPgVdwRZu4

Comparing to overseas the Casio GPS in Singapore retailing at $999 is already cheaper than overseas at discounted. May even get certain % off if get from shops in bencoolen. Tempting.

I'd rather buy it in a completely "legit" shop rather than the Bencoolen/Chinatown places. I always worry about whether I'm getting sold a knock-off from PRC. [sweatdrop]

I'd rather buy it in a completely "legit" shop rather than the Bencoolen/Chinatown places. I always worry about whether I'm getting sold a knock-off from PRC. [sweatdrop]

Don't worry. If the watch reports PRC time, we are still safe, same time zone. Latitude will be out thought.. [laugh]

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

tried the seiko astron 2014 models at vivo over the weekend. 3k plus for the titanium model... nice! the weight of the astron titanium shocked me... I wasn't expected it to be so light! weird feeling... hahha

also check out the latest g shock mr-g which is super huge for my wrist.. ..

end up buying the casio edifice EQW-A1200DC, black watch at g-factory but now kind of regret... couldn't get used to the colour....

anyone wants a 1 day old watch at a nice discount, pm me!! make ur offer!!

Edited by Yappiez

Congrats on your purchase Yappiez. The EQW-A1200DC looks absolutely beautiful, i think its also solar powered waveceptor with a carbon fibre second hand. I love the red highlights on the case circumference as it compliments the black very nicely. You should not regret your purchase.

Er becareful with this watch. Is it stainless or titanium? Black stainless steel scratches easily and scratches show up more. Same applies if the cover is mineral glass and not saphire crystal. And as you are aware you may not rely on the waveceptor function here as it might be out of range of a emitting tower.

Otherwise, it is a gorgeous watch. May i know the damage u paid fer it?

tried the seiko astron 2014 models at vivo over the weekend. 3k plus for the titanium model... nice! the weight of the astron titanium shocked me... I wasn't expected it to be so light! weird feeling... hahha

also check out the latest g shock mr-g which is super huge for my wrist.. ..

end up buying the casio edifice EQW-A1200DC, black watch at g-factory but now kind of regret... couldn't get used to the colour....

anyone wants a 1 day old watch at a nice discount, pm me!! make ur offer!!

↡ Advertisement