6 months Car Servicing

Lucky888

Every 6 months, i will go for my car servicing. The shop charge me $98 for servicing which is only the change of engine oil and engine oil net. The engine oil used is Mobil Synthetic Engine Oil.

I ask the shop if i could bring my own engine oil next time. They say yes and labour charge to change engine oil and engine oil net is $30. The engine oil net is charged at $13 for normal one and $18 for a branded one.

Which is more feasible and worthwhile? Buy the best engine oil myself and only pay the shop for labour charge.

What do you think?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

that depends on how much e/o your car required.

A) If yr car only takes 4 quarts : S$9 per quart X 4 = S$36

Based on Pennoil 5w40 from amazon

B) Labour : S$30

C) Oil net S$13

Total : S$79

Edited by Mcf777

What type of oil net/filter u guy get?

For those normal BnB car .. Toyota, Hyundai.... Only cost $5-7 per pcs from stockist.

Pennzoil from Amazon is worth uh!!

• Praise 1

$98 for engine oil and filter? I reckon it is a fair price to pay especially if you value convenience like me. Just drive in and wait for 30-45min... Done. Drive off with another 10,000km or 6 months of travelling time again. Sweet and easy.

Modern European engines are good for at least 18000 km or more in between maintenance. Servicing every 10K is wasting time, money and resources.

$98 for engine oil and filter? I reckon it is a fair price to pay especially if you value convenience like me. Just drive in and wait for 30-45min... Done. Drive off with another 10,000km or 6 months of travelling time again. Sweet and easy.

Yes but what ty do or dun do during yr service?

I wil not b surprised if ty even forget to change the oil filter sometimes.

Thats why I am always standing beside the mech when ty do anything to my car so I can see all is been done properly.

U not there many mech wil take "short-cuts". Thats why many cars in SG after only 3-4 years hv so many problems n pple alrdy wan to sell n change car.

Other countries your BnB car can last 20 years easy. Most cars if well taken care of can last 30 years even.

is also about the EO right? although the engine modern can tahan but can the EO last for 18,000km that i no clue though so still doing the usual 8-10k servicing

Modern European engines are good for at least 18000 km or more in between maintenance. Servicing every 10K is wasting time, money and resources.

is also about the EO right? although the engine modern can tahan but can the EO last for 18,000km that i no clue though so still doing the usual 8-10k servicing

I have gone through many cars, most till scrap or almost scrap, and have not encountered any engines worn out. Oil, production quality etc have improved tremendously since the days of 5k servicing.

Most issues are not EO related, eg ignition coil, bushings, battery.

(edited)

Yes but what ty do or dun do during yr service?

I wil not b surprised if ty even forget to change the oil filter sometimes.

Thats why I am always standing beside the mech when ty do anything to my car so I can see all is been done properly.

U not there many mech wil take "short-cuts". Thats why many cars in SG after only 3-4 years hv so many problems n pple alrdy wan to sell n change car.

Other countries your BnB car can last 20 years easy. Most cars if well taken care of can last 30 years even.

I used to stand by the window gallery at Autobacs at Ubi or Loyang there to witness what is changed. I have friends who only do oil change every 20-30k km and their jap/Korean sedan are still running. I myself prefer to stick to my recommended oil change frequency despite I seldom own a car for more than 3 years straight.... many said Singaporeans too pamper cars and when I travelled to 3rd world countries.... I really do agree with them... I used to feed my car RON 92 petrol and the engine warning lamp lit up. However look at the grade of petrol they handpump into their car in Thailand or even Africa... you can even see particles floating around.... yet their cars still run....

Edited by Jasongcp