Best Char Kway Teow in Singapore

Scion

Supercharged

I have been to this coffee shop at Blk 303, Anchorevale (next to Renjong LRT Station), there is a CKT stall in the coffee shop also known as Hill Street Char Kway Teow and if I rem correctly, this stall was feature in Mediacorp “ Our Makan Places, Lost & Found” hosted by Gurmit Singh.

The stall start selling at 11.00am, and I was there early, so did not get to try it.

↡ Advertisement

I have been to this coffee shop at Blk 303, Anchorevale (next to Renjong LRT Station), there is a CKT stall in the coffee shop also known as Hill Street Char Kway Teow and if I rem correctly, this stall was feature in Mediacorp “ Our Makan Places, Lost & Found” hosted by Gurmit Singh.

The stall start selling at 11.00am, and I was there early, so did not get to try it.

the name Hill St CKT has been "abused", just like how all laksas are Katong now. there's another Hill St CKT in Chinatown Complex and it's not even average.

the only real one is in Bedok South.

Hypersonic
(edited)

Just when we are discussing CKT, talking about Penang CKT, and duc eggs, here MAkan Sutra just release this article on Penang CKT and duck eggs. MAkes me wonder if our discussion here has anything to do with the writer's inspiration?

https://sg.entertainment.yahoo.com/news/duck-eggs-not-banned-technically-041145761.html

This the Armenian street CKT. Not the same as Hill Street CKT now at Bedok South. The Armenian St one is not bad, but not as good as the real Hill Street.

But this particular coffeeshop, the treasure here is the KL style black Hokkien mee at the Zi Char Stall, with generous amount of pork lard. I go there is for the hokkien mee, not the CKT.

Edited by Ender
  • Praise 1

I have been to this coffee shop at Blk 303, Anchorevale (next to Renjong LRT Station), there is a CKT stall in the coffee shop also known as Hill Street Char Kway Teow and if I rem correctly, this stall was feature in Mediacorp Our Makan Places, Lost & Found hosted by Gurmit Singh.

No la, they never call themselves hill street, that stall is called something like Armenia street CKT, it is not bad but never good.

Turbocharged

wah like that, i must get some vouchers from makan sutra liao, for giving them ideas

Just when we are discussing CKT, talking about Penang CKT, and duc eggs, here MAkan Sutra just release this article on Penang CKT and duck eggs. MAkes me wonder if our discussion here has anything to do with the writer's inspiration?

https://sg.entertainment.yahoo.com/news/duck-eggs-not-banned-technically-041145761.html

This the Armenian street CKT. Not the same as Hill Street CKT now at Bedok South. The Armenian St one is not bad, but not as good as the real Hill Street.

But this particular coffeeshop, the treasure here is the KL style black Hokkien mee at the Zi Char Stall, with generous amount of pork lard. I go there is for the hokkien mee, not the CKT.

I've followed Hai Kee since Margaret Drive days, only closed down 3 years ago IIRC. No need to be senior citizens to remember bro [:p]

Anyway really miss margaret drive, the 2nd floor Chicken Rice, Hai Kee CKT, Popiah, fishball noodles at the corner damn cheap and nice, I rem only $2.20 got 7 fishballs!, and also 夜来香 western food.

The Sin Kee Famous Chicken Rice stall has moved to Blk 6, Holland Drive, behind the SPC station at Commonwealth Ave.

Still as good with same price.

Hypersonic

thanks for the gai xiao.

I always go to the 306 coffeeshop. Didn't know 303 also got.

In the end, it is his children that enjoys all his riches.

I agree. Once met the owner of the bak chor mee stall in the very old marina square foot court...the only stall with the super long queue back then. I remember him for his habit of always throwing a few strands of noodle back to the noodle stockpile before cooking the noodles, almost like he wants to cook the exact weight or something. He was taking bus to his current location in a HDB coffeeshop between Beach Road and Lavender. He should be a millionaire by now, I guess. But still slogging it out at the stall while his children or whoever spend his money. By the way the queue at the coffeeshop is still super long.

Anybody tried the shunfu ckt? Previously opposite at lakeview, but shifted to shunfu after the original place was demolished.

Shun fu Lai Heng CKT used to be good when they are at lakeview, but after moving to shun fu the quality drop. The whole family used to dye their hair golden, very beng and Lian.

Think they sold their name or business to some franchise company, so you see a lot of Lai Heng food court stall in many place. Occasionally still get to eat CKT cooked by the same uncle, but the standard far from what it use to be.

Supercharged

Is this the one opposite SAFRA ?

Is this the one they don't give you soup? Then if you want soup must bring your bowl to the stall and get it....

Yes, its the one opp SAFRA

Hypersonic

Shun fu Lai Heng CKT used to be good when they are at lakeview, but after moving to shun fu the quality drop. The whole family used to dye their hair golden, very beng and Lian.

Think they sold their name or business to some franchise company, so you see a lot of Lai Heng food court stall in many place. Occasionally still get to eat CKT cooked by the same uncle, but the standard far from what it use to be.

I think i know which one.

Actually that CKT is ok. i dont mind eating it sometimes.

Anyway, anyone tried The Penang Place CKT? I think it's better than most CKT out there.

for those that like the white version aka penang ckt

there's a pretty good one at the jurong east hawker centre opp chinese garden mrt. just behind the famous bak kut teh

Supercharged

Yes, its the one opp SAFRA

Thanks.

Yah, I taste that CKT before. Waited quite long for a plate cos got queue....even on a weekday night!

(edited)

talk to anyone from St Andrew's Jr School.

SAJS' former CKT still the best and we willing to pay $20 for a plate also cannot find owner anymore.

wow you are from St Andrew's Junior school???? probably the same batch as me... hee hee... I went in as a saint in 1986 till became an old siant in 1996

Edited by Jayy25

Supercharged

wow you are from St Andrew's Junior school???? probably the same batch as me... hee hee... I went in as a saint in 1986 till became an old siant in 1996

I'm from younger batch, 1988-1997, 10years via super express.

Do you miss the CKT there?

Hi all bro here,

For CKT lover, if u dropby ABC brickworks market. Come n try my ckt stall. Just say MCF bro, I give extra see hum for your all lolz.

• Praise 3

Hi all bro here,

For CKT lover, if u dropby ABC brickworks market. Come n try my ckt stall. Just say MCF bro, I give extra see hum for your all lolz.

abc market? which stall? I only remember got a penang ckt there?

must have extra bak pok then shiok!

↡ Advertisement