News for Racial Discrimination

Vinyl

'No Indians No PRCs': Singapore's rental discrimination problem

Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-26832115

I believe all countries have this problem of racial discrimination. Why would you not rent out your apartment to Indian or PRCs?

Is it difference in culture, hygiene, unknown fear that they would have a 500-man Indian party in the house (no offence, typical stereotype), fear of missing dogs that end up in a pot (again no offence, typical stereotype) or are there other reasons for such discrimination?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

'No Indians No PRCs': Singapore's rental discrimination problem

Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-26832115

I believe all countries have this problem of racial discrimination. Why would you not rent out your apartment to Indian or PRCs?

Is it difference in culture, hygiene, unknown fear that they would have a 500-man Indian party in the house (no offence, typical stereotype), fear of missing dogs that end up in a pot (again no offence, typical stereotype) or are there other reasons for such discrimination?

My mom rented to Indian family before.. after 2 years curry stains all over the kitchen (the family never clean for the whole time). Toilet bowl all blackened because you guess it.. they also not bothered with cleaning the toilet..

End up need to engage professional cleaning company to clean the whole house up..

• Praise 7

Thats not discrimination....

Different ppl have different preference, be it religious, race, culture. And alot of times because of this, they rather rent at lower price to others, not discrimination at all...

Imagine a Malay family rent to a Chinese only to find out they always cook pork, you think they feel comfortable? Alot of those big channel never find out facts before blasting...

• Praise 4

should have written it more clearly.

it's India's Indians and not Singapore's born Indians.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

If it's my property, I decide who I want to rent it to.

Not right.

Discrimination is always wrong -

To understand, you need to spend some time looking at US history, Jim Crow laws and denial of public access.

You are free to set terms and conditions to how the property is treated, but in making decisions on who to rent to you should be colour blind - any thing less is discrimination.

When you do it, we are all losers.

And the very ironic thing is - the same people that treat others this way, will scream the loudest about "favouritism" towards immigrants from the government, or how "they" hire their "own people" - not realising the irony (or should that be stupidity?) in what they are saying.

• Praise 3
  • Dislike 1

Turbocharged

Not right.

To understand, you need to spend some time looking at US history, Jim Crow laws and denial of public access.

You are free to set terms and conditions to how the property is treated, but in making decisions on who to rent to you should be colour blind - any thing less is discrimination.

And the very ironic thing is - the same people that treat others this way, will scream the loudest about "favouritism" towards immigrants from the government, or how "they" hire their "own people" - not realising the irony (or should that be stupidity?) in what they are saying.

But if the general population of a certain race or group of people or ethnicity tend to not take care of landlord's property and be inconsiderate then how?

• Praise 2

Not right.

Bro, you talk like a saint, do you have a spare room to rent? I will get you different race of tenant over 6 mths period, you try staying with different tenants and share your view here again.

• Praise 9
  • Dislike 1

I think it is okay to filter out tenants that you are not comfortable with but explicitly stating 'No Indians/PRCs' is a big no no.

It's like employment ads asking for foreigners only. Not acceptable.

• Praise 3

Turbocharged

But if the general population of a certain race or group of people or ethnicity tend to not take care of landlord's property and be inconsiderate then how?

Then you set standards of cleanliness or whatever and do inspections.

It is never right to discriminate based on colour.

Just imagine the reverse -

By saying this sort of thing is ok you are also saying it is ok to

1) Hire the angmo because he is more creative

2) Hire the american because he is a better talker

3) Hire the filipino because he will work harder

Etc etc

In short - address the standard, don't apply sterotypes to an entire race.

Bro, you talk like a saint, do you have a spare room to rent? I will get you different race of tenant over 6 mths period, you try staying with different tenants and share your view here again.

Again,

you will find good and bad in any race.

Do you want me to go and dig out stories about Singaporean tenants that have raped, murdered etc?

So on that basis I never rent to Singaporean?

Discrimination is wrong.

Full stop - if there are certain standards of behaviour you need with a genuine reason behind it, then that is what you address.

• Praise 3
  • Dislike 1

Turbocharged
(edited)

Not practical lah. I agree discrimination against an entire race is not right but sometimes really cannot help it with the constant bad experience.

Just ended a phone call with customer service for a certain computer brand. The service staff is really horrible and it is GENERALLY the same for this particular group of people.

Edited by Porker
  • Praise 2

BBC shud look at their own country before commenting on ours. Their racial discrimination is even worse dan ours. The pot shud stop calling the kettle black.

• Praise 3

Turbocharged

Not practical lah. I agree discrimination against an entire race is not right but sometimes really cannot help it with the constant bad experience.

Just ended a phone call with customer service for a certain computer brand. The service staff is really horrible and it is GENERALLY the same for this particular group of people.

Know where you are coming from - a while back we rented a property to a Fijian Indian -

It did enter my mind "they" are not trustworthy

But at the end of the day - I kinda subscribe to a Gandhian type of belief - "be the change you want to see in the world".

I deplore racism and discrimination - how can I hold that belief, but then deliberately discriminate myself?

BBC shud look at their own country before commenting on ours. Their racial discrimination is even worse dan ours. The pot shud stop calling the kettle black.

That they have some problems doesn't make it ok for Singapore to discriminate - what you are doing is simply an ad-hominem attack, you are killing the messenger, rather than looking at the message.

• Praise 2

It is never right to discriminate based on colour.

Just imagine the reverse -

By saying this sort of thing is ok you are also saying it is ok to

1) Hire the angmo because he is more creative

2) Hire the american because he is a better talker

3) Hire the filipino because he will work harder

Etc etc

In short - address the standard, don't apply sterotypes to an entire race.

Again,

you will find good and bad in any race.

Do you want me to go and dig out stories about Singaporean tenants that have raped, murdered etc?

So on that basis I never rent to Singaporean?

Discrimination is wrong.

Full stop - if there are certain standards of behaviour you need with a genuine reason behind it, then that is what you address.

I guess people just want a quick way out and save everyone's time beating around the bush. If the screening need to take in all the consideration and meeting each of them, the house/room probably take 6 months before it is rent out.

Turbocharged

Know where you are coming from - a while back we rented a property to a Fijian Indian -

But at the end of the day - I kinda subscribe to a Gandhian type of belief - "be the change you want to see in the world".

I deplore racism and discrimination - how can I hold that belief, but then deliberately discriminate myself?

So the perennial question: Did the tenant screw up the condition of your property :D

(edited)

That they have some problems doesn't make it ok for Singapore to discriminate - what you are doing is simply an ad-hominem attack, you are killing the messenger, rather than looking at the message.

Tell me where or which country do not have racial discrimination? I can also say BBC is launching a personal attack on sgp. If they so choose to judge sgp this way, why can't others do the same to them? What makes them so damn special?

Chao Ang Moh toa ki is it?

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1

Some prefer not to take the risk, why is there such generalisation in the first place? Because of experience be it through your own or others.

If you would like to take the risk I applaud you, but others may not. In the end it is not your property, how others want to rent it and to who is their problem. Be it setting rules (which are hard to detail and even harder to enforce) or generally saying that this group of people are not welcome, is the owners business.

Look at it in another way, why are other races more welcomed than those which are not? It's because generally behaviour and culture is better, so people are more willing to take the risk. Are all of them nice and good? Sure they might not be, but it is the owners risk profile. He prefers blue chip vs penny... Prefers big nice brand and company vs startup...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1