Mitsubishi Outlander

Benjamintoh

Neutral Newbie

Hi,

Was wondering if anyone here is driving 2009 Mitsubishi Outlander (or used to own one) ?

Thinking of converting to SUV from my Mark X... Was looking at Outlander as I like the design and functions.

Any things I should take note of ?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

I myself was looking at a 2008 outlander myself as well a couple of weeks ago. Considered the outlander but was informed the fuel consumption is terrible, since I did not drive one long enough to give this information, I just share my thought with you (perhaps we can learn more from one another's experience)

Disclaimer: based on my own personal experience of driving (test driving) for around 5km of road with 50% expressway and 50% trunk road.

Drive:

Feel very magnificent however you can clearly feel the sheer size of this beast. Very keen to charge out whenever the gas pedal is depressed and you can clearly feel the stability due to the weight during small maneuvers in the carpark. Once you get to speed of 50km/h and more, the car suddenly feel more eager and agile. However my biggest complaint is it has absolutely zero road feedback to the steering wheel. I could have run over a dog without knowing it.

Space:

I do notice from the driver seat, car will have a foot rest for your left foot when it is not doing much, I can feel the central console pushing against my calf when I try to rest my left foot there. Rear space is great especially with the 2nd opening at the tail board with ease loading and unloading of goods from car. The model I was looking at came with 6th and 7th seater at the last row and it was really horrible. Wondering why would I risk any passengers' life by seating them there.

Conclusion:

Overall a pretty good car however I find if you are looking for an exciting ride and more of a driver's experience, this is not for you (as it is not for me) If you are looking at packing 7 pax into a ride, look elsewhere as the last row is definitely a joke. I did own a Mit EX GT and it gulp petrol at 8-9km/l, judging on the weight and size of outlander, I guess 6-7km/l will be a lucky guess. So if you are a green person, stay away. Otherwise, it is quite a comfortable and quiet ride. Definitely have to road presence if you are keen on that.

Last Note:

I change to a rav 4 instead

• Praise 2

Supersonic

Just to add, unsure on this. Is it CVT? Coz i saw in hwz forum years ago that the jatco CVT (Outlander), when u go c & c for replacement of entire thing, total cost + labour is 9k.

Agree that rav 4 would be a safer bet.

• Praise 1

regardless of CVT, 4AT, 5AT,6AT,7AT, DSG, once you touch transmission, the cost and labor is going to be a killer.

From what I understand Outlander is running automatic gearbox like 6-speed INVECS-III Semi auto. Nothing to shout about but given the rumour that she is high fuel consumption beast, will you be gear switching happy?

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Hi,

Was wondering if anyone here is driving 2009 Mitsubishi Outlander (or used to own one) ?

Thinking of converting to SUV from my Mark X... Was looking at Outlander as I like the design and functions.

Any things I should take note of ?

i had an outlander for 5yrs, i would have continued with it if i wasnt itchy hand [lipsrsealed]

good things were

1) Super spacious, mine does not have the 3rd row seats. those 3rd row are quite useless anyway

2) paddle shift. i love those when i just need the immediate power

3) compartments and compartments, lots of them for you to store your stuff

4) 2WD, 4WD or Lock depending on your driving terrain, this can be mod into a 4x4 beast

5) 2nd row seats can be fully adjustable, if those 2nd rows are folded, you can transport a IKEA 500mm cabinet in it, the tailgate was a plus!

6) Road presence was good, but not too big till you have problems with some MSCP

bad things were

1) SUV comes with poor FC, its like driving a super car and wanting good FC. generally i get about 7.5km/L, i reckon i m pretty heavy footed.

2) Power from launch is quite lacking

3) Tires are not cheap either

The only other SUV that i would have chosen would be the Forester

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Thanks for the informative input !

How reliable was the engine ? Or any noticeable problems you observed during your ownership?

I was considering Rav4, might take a look at Forester too.

Edited by Benjamintoh
  • Praise 1

SUV is still a general term. You have to understand what you want from the ride.

People carrier?

Long trip?

Off road capability?

Cargo space?

day to day ride.... Etc

The reason I chose rav 4 instead of forester and outlander was because I need a more comfortable ride, with gradual power delivery (wife driving as well) and due to my high travel mileage I need it to be fuel efficient.

Currently my rav 4 is giving me 11-12km/l. For a 2.4l SUV, I reckon I am in good fc zone.

I did try forester. Out of all SUV, I reckon forester is the best driving experience due to the famous AWD and low boxer engine seating.

Just to add, unsure on this. Is it CVT? Coz i saw in hwz forum years ago that the jatco CVT (Outlander), when u go c & c for replacement of entire thing, total cost + labour is 9k.

Agree that rav 4 would be a safer bet.

my friend's XC90 GB problem, Volvo quoted him total cost + labour is 22k,

no choice, have to give up

Edited by Quantum

Supercharged

Wah...you avator is dam "distracting"... [laugh]

Btw, that XC90 how old already have this GB problem ?

looks quite good, and price also acceptable <150k

Must see the interior also...

angmor car repair cost = angmor price one... my fren's lexus ls460 100K+ km GB overhaul cost $10K...

my previous BMW M3's control unit spoil cost $1000+ if i rem correctly.. i read that replacing the entire DCT costs abt $15K...

nice car to drive, but not so nice to repair later on

Wah...you avator is dam "distracting"... [laugh]

Btw, that XC90 how old already have this GB problem ?

Must see the interior also...

:D

7 years old XC90, jerking feeling while 1st gear up to 2nd gear,

just changed GB oil outside WS, feel better

looks quite good, and price also acceptable <150k

Looking toward to seeing more of your avatar!

*Ahem* I mean posts...

Yours and Vid are my fav!

Supercharged

Looking toward to seeing more of your avatar!

*Ahem* I mean posts...

Yours and Vid are my fav!

Change your avator to something (or someone) like theirs lah.... dun talk only no action ! [:p]

Guys, what about these 2 SUVs

1) 2008-2010 - CRV - 2.0 and 2.4? Howcome 2.4 is cheaper than 2.0 in the 2nd hand market? Is it coz of the road tax and insurance? I thot 2.4 have more frills.. no?

2) 2008 - 2010 - Harrier 2.4?

Looking at this 2 model - Car expiring next year, but only have budget for 2nd hand car....unless...COE drop!

Care to share between these 2 models?

Not too keen on Misu model...

thanks guys..

• Praise 1

Guys, what about these 2 SUVs

1) 2008-2010 - CRV - 2.0 and 2.4? Howcome 2.4 is cheaper than 2.0 in the 2nd hand market? Is it coz of the road tax and insurance? I thot 2.4 have more frills.. no?

2) 2008 - 2010 - Harrier 2.4?

Looking at this 2 model - Car expiring next year, but only have budget for 2nd hand car....unless...COE drop!

Care to share between these 2 models?

Not too keen on Misu model...

thanks guys..

before give you advice, you should ask youself some questions 1st:

what is the purpose of buying suv:

People carrier?

Long trip?

high vision?

Off road capability?

Cargo space?

day to day ride.... Etc