Engine light start to on after overheat

Hi

Recently my swift was stalled on the road due to radiator water leakage,the radiator are empty when I open up the cap, temperature show H for a while before it turn back to C even through the tank are empty. After the workshop check the car, I was ask to replaced the radiator tank and water tank as both leakage.

But after I drive back , the engine light start to light . They check but could not find the correct code. The car will start to jerk and rpm will start to move when the car is idling. They suspect the engine are overheat and could already damage.

Tonight I went back to the car and open up the radiator cap and notice all the water inside the new radiator are gone as well. Could it be possible ?this are a 8yrs car with more than 200k mileage .

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

Better not drive .. Tow to WS..

There are other area that is having leak too.. Worst cause engine block leak.

When your WS change the radiator n water tank did they not conduct a pressure test to check if the cooling system is OK and that no other plc is leaking?

The pressure test is easy to do.. If your WS can't do this u may want to look for other help/WS.

Edited by Simpleonly

Turbocharged

so you did replace with a new radiator?

so yes, ask the workshop why new radiator still leak? ask them to replace a new one for you.

you can do a test by topping up the radiator and check the next day whether is there a leak by looking at the floor for liquid.

Better not drive .. Tow to WS..

There are other area that is having leak too.. Worst cause engine block leak.

When your WS change the radiator n water tank did they not conduct a pressure test to check if the cooling system is OK and that no other plc is leaking?

The pressure test is easy to do.. If your WS can't do this u may want to look for other help/WS.

I do not know if they had did the test but if the tank are new, other leakage should not cos the radiator empty.. I will still need to go bk to them since I had paid almost 1k for all these repair and services and as we'll oil leakage

so you did replace with a new radiator?

so yes, ask the workshop why new radiator still leak? ask them to replace a new one for you.

you can do a test by topping up the radiator and check the next day whether is there a leak by looking at the floor for liquid.

yes I did change to new radiator, I had top up just now and I will check again tomorrow

Hypersonic

I do not know if they had did the test but if the tank are new, other leakage should not cos the radiator empty.. I will still need to go bk to them since I had paid almost 1k for all these repair and services and as we'll oil leakage

yes I did change to new radiator, I had top up just now and I will check again tomorrow

1k for radiator & oil change for swift I think is too high. Seems like you kana carrots.

A burst or broken cooling piping can also caused fast leak.

1k for radiator & oil change for swift I think is too high. Seems like you kana carrots.

A burst or broken cooling piping can also caused fast leak.

is including car servicing, radiator assy, radiator cap, solenoid switch+gasket, water pump and all the labour charge about 160

Dun say a brust or broken pipe... If the Mech never tighten the joint properly for u it will also leak till empty after a 20 - 30 Min drive...

Ask them for pressure test n stay there to witness ... If there is leak the pressure will drop.. Is no leak the pressure will maintain.. Make sure they pump to the correct pressure 1st. Usually the radiator cap will indicate the pressure in "bar"

Good luck

Dun say a brust or broken pipe... If the Mech never tighten the joint properly for u it will also leak till empty after a 20 - 30 Min drive...

Ask them for pressure test n stay there to witness ... If there is leak the pressure will drop.. Is no leak the pressure will maintain.. Make sure they pump to the correct pressure 1st. Usually the radiator cap will indicate the pressure in "bar"

Good luck

is the test for radiator only or can test all the area? thks for advise, will ask them to do the test to show me tom

Turbocharged

Check your oil, see if it's milky. Might be headgasket gone during the overheat, coolant getting into oil or even maybe combustion chamber that's why the car is jerky/not idling properly. Hopefully the head is not warped.

But if it's a complete loss of coolant I'd say probably further leakage somewhere.

is the test for radiator only or can test all the area? thks for advise, will ask them to do the test to show me tom

It test the overall cooling system .. Meaning whatever place that the coolant go..

Coolant travel from your raditator to engine to heating core via hose/pipe.. So if any of this plc leak water will escape.. Pressure test is bacislly using a pump with pressure meter , it will have a cover that seal the radiator cap and at the same time allow u to pump air pressure into your cooling system. If there is pressure drop that mean leak somewhere. Then your Mech need to look at all the area to hunt for the leak or leaks....

Check also your radiator cap.. Is the rubber seal is bad it will allow steam/water to escape too.

Google/YouTube more to understand your cooling system n the pressure test.

I learn this when I just got my used car.. Which have a few leak here n there.

It test the overall cooling system .. Meaning whatever place that the coolant go..

Coolant travel from your raditator to engine to heating core via hose/pipe.. So if any of this plc leak water will escape.. Pressure test is bacislly using a pump with pressure meter , it will have a cover that seal the radiator cap and at the same time allow u to pump air pressure into your cooling system. If there is pressure drop that mean leak somewhere. Then your Mech need to look at all the area to hunt for the leak or leaks....

Check also your radiator cap.. Is the rubber seal is bad it will allow steam/water to escape too.

Google/YouTube more to understand your cooling system n the pressure test.

I learn this when I just got my used car.. Which have a few leak here n there.

ws did the pressure test and confirm no leakage , they say likely need to change top of engine and skim it, and change some part cost at least 1k.

mostly is the top engine gasket damaged already. this usually happens after when the engine is overheat due to still driving after the temp is at H...

get it checked and repair fast before it get worst...

Hi

Recently my swift was stalled on the road due to radiator water leakage,the radiator are empty when I open up the cap, temperature show H for a while before it turn back to C even through the tank are empty. After the workshop check the car, I was ask to replaced the radiator tank and water tank as both leakage.

But after I drive back , the engine light start to light . They check but could not find the correct code. The car will start to jerk and rpm will start to move when the car is idling. They suspect the engine are overheat and could already damage.

Tonight I went back to the car and open up the radiator cap and notice all the water inside the new radiator are gone as well. Could it be possible ?this are a 8yrs car with more than 200k mileage .

Mech should always confirm the source of coolant leakage leakage with a coolant pressure tester. If the test shows no positive result, it's best for the mech to proceed to do a leak down test. A leak down tester uses compressed air to detect internal leak within the cylinder block.

post-272-0-64815100-1399597471_thumb.jpg

post-272-0-13126200-1399597476_thumb.jpg

• Praise 1

Hi

sounds like engine block crack already. good luck.

Check your oil, see if it's milky. Might be headgasket gone during the overheat, coolant getting into oil or even maybe combustion chamber that's why the car is jerky/not idling properly. Hopefully the head is not warped.

But if it's a complete loss of coolant I'd say probably further leakage somewhere.

Just to add, u will observe white smoke from the exhaust if water find it way into the chamber and powderish deposit on the plugs..

if its still leaking that means the old radiator is ok.

the workshop sucks anyhow change, you still want to go back???

Turbocharged

wahahhaha.....this is what happen to my car.

hose leaking....I bo chap....coolant gets into the oil..

I have to do TOP overhaul. NB, cost me bomb. and 1month plus no car to drive.

no spare part even from agent.

• Praise 1

mostly is the top engine gasket damaged already. this usually happens after when the engine is overheat due to still driving after the temp is at H...

get it checked and repair fast before it get worst...

Did get another workshop to check for 2nd opinion . Ws initial said the engine light likely due ignition coil but after I told him abt the overheat issue, he open up the engine cap and look at inside he confirm the cap has white colour which mean water get in to the engine. He say replacement cost for the top overhaul and engine ignition coil cost about 1.2k

The original work shop also 1.2k less ignition coil

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1