Why do I use my car horn

Aukang

Would mcf forumers like to share why we are 'forced' to use our car horns?

For me, there are 3 common reasons why I sound the horn:

1. Dangerous cyclists who ride across zebra crossings and traffic lights crossings when lights are not in their favour

2. Jaywalkers

3. Motorists who hog the rightmost lane...at 60 or 70 kmh and it turns out these idiots are breaking the law, either because they are on the phone or cigarette in hand, cruising slowly along, when I pass them on their left side after waiting for them to switch lane while keeping a safe distance behind them

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

The horn imho......is quite useless and achieves nothing in most scenarios:

1. Cyclists would hv already almost crossover to the other side by the time you notice them.

2. Horn at jaywalkers but you would have to slow down or brake hard just to avoid hitting them anyway.

3. Horn all you want but still LL if hogger maintain its speed lol.

• Praise 4

Nowadays if you horn the pedestrians, they either give you the 'wtf you want look' or the cold stare.

If drivers cut into your lane abruptly and you horn, most of the time they also dont care about you.

What's worse is when you horn them, sometimes they evolve into road rage and try to coerce you into a fight by jam brake/purposely slowing down to a stop/etc.

[shakehead] [shakehead]

• Praise 1
  • Dislike 1

I try not to use it often as most drivers don't take kindly to being honked at, even though they were in the wrong.

However, very frequently on curvy stretches of road, I was forced to use the horn because alot of lousy drivers are unable to keep to their respective lanes!

• Praise 5

Turbocharged

I horn to alert people, especially if they do sudden movements (lane change or suddenly come out) that might potentially cause an accident.

Some people simply blur so need to be woken up.

• Praise 2

I only horn when there's danger. My RE-MG exhaust is noisy enough to give others ample warning before I get near. My ignition is also slightly off recently so my car will backfire from 5th to 3rd on the highway and scare people following from behind.

This one is my number 1 piss off in Singapore. Can't understand why many drivers cannot keep to their lanes despite most roads/lanes are wide enough in Singapore. Then, you have many drivers also...... need to cut into right lane when making a left turn into minor road as if they are towing a 40' container trailer. [bigcry]

I try not to use it often as most drivers don't take kindly to being honked at, even though they were in the wrong.

However, very frequently on curvy stretches of road, I was forced to use the horn because alot of lousy drivers are unable to keep to their respective lanes!

• Praise 1

Those pedestrian crossing junction without looking and take their sweet time. When they almost finished crossing i slowly inch up behind and hon. Give them a shock and drive off.

i honk drivers whom are oblivious of their poor driving, to make them realize their mistake and learn from it.

一片苦心谁人知。。。。

Sometimes just too lazy or can't be bothered to horn cos really not useful, the hornees simply won't get it, just live and let live, its their safety anyway, if I can avoid any accidents, just let it go

Unless the situation can pose a danger to me, then I will horn e.g. Abrupt lane change or drifting into my lane

Yip, that is one rare scenario I would use the horn.

dunce wan to give my insurance coy any reason to up my next premium [grin]

• Praise 1

Just now I just honk at a a merc. Old man driving with his old lady beside. Green light take his sweet time to move off. After that drive like a tortoise. After honk he suddenly wake up can drive at normal speed.

Just now I just honk at a a merc. Old man driving with his old lady beside. Green light take his sweet time to move off. After that drive like a tortoise. After honk he suddenly wake up can drive at normal speed.

I too horn the car infront who didn't move after green light for some time.

I also horn the old security guard in my office to open the gate to let me in/out [bounce2]

I honk to test the horn so that it will work when I need to use it..... :D

And at the jaywalkers, the never-check-blind-spot drivers, cyclists who ignore red lights and some road hoggers (who are usually also deaf - MOH should conduct research on this interesting correlation).

Turbocharged

We are already paying for the most expensive car horns in the world, scrap or sell car that time will be one of the best condition parts of the car, don't use white don't use as the Chinese say, so just honk. Morse code each other.

Turbocharged

I hardly can use my horn as I find it very difficult to activate it. very tight like a virgin. press afew times but no sound. [confused]

↡ Advertisement