Iceland : Has anybody driven in Iceland before?

Boringchap

I will be there on Black Friday [sly]

Pre buy your stuff on amazon UK..

Shops will be too crowded. but Boxing Day sales are better :)

London is great for good food and shopping..

Duck, pies, fish and chips etc..

Enjoy!

We go to London quite often.  Another trip later this year.

Do you have winner driving experience? The 4x4 will help but November will be snowy and icy.

I heard of some scam car rental company. If it is too cheap, beware. You are driving during winter and you want a reliable and well maintained car.

Don't worry about fuel card, just use your credit card at the pump.

Rented a x-trail earlier this year in Hokkaido. Snow-covered roads and all - rather interesting experience. Thanks for your tips!

Rented a x-trail earlier this year in Hokkaido. Snow-covered roads and all - rather interesting experience. Thanks for your tips!

You are welcome.

Icelandic roads are relatively narrow and elevated most of the time, it can be stressful driving in harsh winter condition. Drive safe.

If you are renting a car, make sure you check the vehicle thoroughly before signing off. Some rentals charge thousands of dollars for small dents and scratches and the comprehensive zero excess insurance coverage (very expensive) don't cover certain damages as well. Google and you will find tons of complaints.

we did buy additional insurance to cover volcano dust or something.

got our car rented from "blue car rental" and came with snow tyres during winter drive.

You are welcome.

Icelandic roads are relatively narrow and elevated most of the time, it can be stressful driving in harsh winter condition. Drive safe.

If you are renting a car, make sure you check the vehicle thoroughly before signing off. Some rentals charge thousands of dollars for small dents and scratches and the comprehensive zero excess insurance coverage (very expensive) don't cover certain damages as well. Google and you will find tons of complaints.

While most rentals offer the latest models, I did come across some offering 2011-2012 (and even one 2008!) vehicles. It made me wonder if it makes sense to consider renting these vehicles as they should already be a little more "battle-scarred" and perhaps could hide new dents and scratches. Haha

While most rentals offer the latest models, I did come across some offering 2011-2012 (and even one 2008!) vehicles. It made me wonder if it makes sense to consider renting these vehicles as they should already be a little more "battle-scarred" and perhaps could hide new dents and scratches. Haha

I can't really answer that. I rented from an international chain. A trick i use and often save me some money.... call the Singapore office of the international chain to reserve your car and don't be shy about asking them for discounts. I usually get a better rate than renting on their global sites and or via aggregator sites.

Given it is winter, road safety should be a priority. A decent restaurant meal in Iceland cost $50-100 per pax, so I would think it makes more sense to save money in other ways. Self catering apartments are a great way to lop off some savings. Just my view.

Also, take lots of pictures when you collect your vehicle (unless you buy zero excess coverage). There are some cheaper local car rental shop that are worth looking into. I read.

If you have yet to discover the very active Icelandic forum on TripAdvisor, do that. Lots of helpful folks there that will answer all your queries.

I can't really answer that. I rented from an international chain. A trick i use and often save me some money.... call the Singapore office of the international chain to reserve your car and don't be shy about asking them for discounts. I usually get a better rate than renting on their global sites and or via aggregator sites.

Given it is winter, road safety should be a priority. A decent restaurant meal in Iceland cost $50-100 per pax, so I would think it makes more sense to save money in other ways. Self catering apartments are a great way to lop off some savings. Just my view.

Also, take lots of pictures when you collect your vehicle (unless you buy zero excess coverage). There are some cheaper local car rental shop that are worth looking into. I read.

If you have yet to discover the very active Icelandic forum on TripAdvisor, do that. Lots of helpful folks there that will answer all your queries.

Awesome! Thanks for the detailed write up!

• Praise 1

Anyone driven in Iceland in the past one year or so? What's your take on GPS offered by rental companies? Must have, or is google maps sufficient?

Don't need GPS, just google map will do. There are some funny characters in the icelandic language but nothing that will hinder you much.

Remember bro

There are many dead zones with no reception.

But the roads are pretty simply so long as you donât do stupid things.

I downloaded google map. The dead zone don't need network lah. You won't get lost when it is just 1 road going straight.

Just remember be it GPS or google there are potential errors

If you are driving in winter or adverse conditions be careful

My friends drove into a lake in winter.

Singaporeans need to be aware it’s not the AYE..

• Praise 1

Anyone driven in Iceland in the past one year or so? What's your take on GPS offered by rental companies? Must have, or is google maps sufficient?

Download the offline map of that part of iceland you want to visit and should be able to navigate even there is no mobile network to load the map.

Take note not to drive through any gate or gate post unless those site seeing area even though the land looks barren or no house/building is around, as it actually does belong to some unscrupulous farmer or owner who can charge you an exorbitant fee for trespassing. This rule is not written, but was told to me by a guide.

If you are still going during winter, this might be useful.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189952-i223-k11967371-The_2018_FYI_of_winter_conditions_driving_in_Iceland-Iceland.html

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1