Toyota estima vs honda odyssey

Duckie1979

As above, any comparison done between these 2 models?

My views after test drive of odyssey:

Odyssey's engine sounds louder than estima within the car cabin

Pick up seems more sluggish as compared to estima

Odyssey more high tech, auto parking, blind spot indicator etc, BUT no auto tailgate?!

Any idea whether Estima is getting a facelift or new design coming out end year/soon?

↡ Advertisement

ODC for me too. Estima is an old model yet more $ex. Maybe biased, always feel Honda's driveability is better than Toyota.

Hypersonic

estima not worth 20k more than odyssey

therefore odyssey is a clear choice between the 2 for me

if on same price point still can consider estima

• Praise 1

estima/previa was launched in 2006!! last face-lifted in late 2012.

i like the low platform of ody. no need to "step up" into the car, it's a good thing for kids, old n everybodies...

• Praise 1

toyota interior really cannot make it .... go n compare ...

btw i m drivng a 08 ody n luving it :)

• Praise 1

As above, any comparison done between these 2 models?

My views after test drive of odyssey:

Odyssey's engine sounds louder than estima within the car cabin

Pick up seems more sluggish as compared to estima

Odyssey more high tech, auto parking, blind spot indicator etc, BUT no auto tailgate?!

Any idea whether Estima is getting a facelift or new design coming out end year/soon?

Ody, [thumbsup]

if price is not too much different, Toyota vs Honda,

Believe me select Honda you will always NOT regert [thumbsup]

In japan, Ody is benchmarked against the Alphard and Elgrand.

Looking at the sales, the ody will most probably recapture the MPV market. The reason we see so few on the road is because production cannot match demand in Japan and overseas market. Here in Singapore , the waiting list is close to 4mths even in this high COE environment.

In japan, Ody is benchmarked against the Alphard and Elgrand.

Looking at the sales, the ody will most probably recapture the MPV market. The reason we see so few on the road is because production cannot match demand in Japan and overseas market. Here in Singapore , the waiting list is close to 4mths even in this high COE environment.

Is the Ody Made in Japan or Thailand?

Neutral Newbie

Is the Ody Made in Japan or Thailand?

Ody always Japan made. Not a fans of CVT gear box, but the reviews of Ody is thumb up

plus good drivability even with new tall Body. So must really test drive to prove it.

Both external, internal look, accessories look attractive too.

The new taller ody is already market in US, but abit different from this new model

I saw the new ody otr , damn nice

Based on sgcarmart @ 23 May, prices for EXV-S and Previa 7-seater moonroof are $185k and $206k. Not sure if you want to go for Estima as I believe there are only 2 airbags and this is a family car that is supposed to protect the safety of the family!

I have test driven the new Ody and used to own a Previa. In my opinion, the drive for both is about similar - it has decent power (2.4l?) to move a vehicle of this size. Interior finishing, I will have to give it to Ody as there are more new gadgets; only setback (a BIG one in my opinion) is that the Ody does not come with a power tailgate which should be standard for a family MPV! Exterior looks, I will give it to the Previa as I find it more sleek than the boxy looking Ody.

Which one will I go for at the end? I will go for none of them. At this price, I'll go with the VW Sharan which currently is having a promotion on their event cars at $195k. It is 10k more than the Ody but I believe the OMV for VW is also $10k more. The power delivery of the Sharan beats these 2 MPVs completely and the interior finishing with all the gadgets plus power tailgate (!!!) make the Sharan a clear leader amongst these 3. Best of all, it is only 2000cc with a annual road tax that is ~ $500 lower but yet delivers the best bhp and torque [thumbsup] !

Of course there will be some that will prefer to stay far far away from the "reliability" of a VW but based on my previous ownership, it had been quite hassle and trouble free driving - as good as the reliability of my Previa...

All the best for your MPV search!

Hypersonic

Just test drove both yesterday.

First the odyssey then the Previa. Comparison is as follows.

Price:

- Ody is $180k after 5k discount. Full payment or loan same price. Loan at 1.88%. This is for the EXV-S. 7 Seater. The 8 seater EX-S is 170k. Non guaranteed, COE rebate at 58k. OMV for EXV-S around 30k, for EX-S around 27k.

- Previa (7 seater with no moonroof) is 191k. Another 2.4k discount if u take loan, another $500 discount if u take inhouse insurance. Non guaranteed, COE rebate at 60k. Loan at 2.28%. Currently if trade in, upgrade to guaranteed COE. OMV around 39k.

Interior:

- Ody clear winner here. Seats are more comfortable generally. Slightly plusher. Layout for both Previa and Ody fairly similar.

- Previa still manual adjustment for all seats including driver. I was quite surprised by this.

Ody Last row seats fold straight down flat. Can't do that for Previa.

Gadgets/Extras

- Ody has blindspot indicator. Really cool and practical for something that's almost a van. Lights up a red light on the side mirrors when something is in your blind spot. Beeps if u switch on turn left/Rt indicator and something is there. Also has front parking sensors for the EXV-S. Didn't have chance to try.

Dual zone AC for driver and front passenger. Also another compressor for people behind

Doors also autolock 15 seconds after Drive engaged or engine on?

- Previa has automatic rear tailgate power button. Something very useful which i think should be standard. If you pay for Previa's moonroof option which is another 5k. U get double moonroof for both front and rear passenger.

Safety:

Both multiple airbags, vehicle stability control. I guess have to do some reading online about which does better in the crash tests.

Drive:

- Ody's CVT is much smoother compared to the Previa. The Previa's gearbox is still the standard CVT gearbox that i still dislike. Ody's CVT surprisingly behaves more like the auto gearbox I'm used to.

- Can't really comment much on pickup cos i drove slowly for both. My kid and wife sitting in the rear without seatbelt. Power should be adequate for both.

Finally regarding 8-seater EX vs the 7-seater EXV for Ody.

It's really a no brainer to get the EXV cos the extras are hugely different. 10k more for EXV. About 3k more in OMV.

However, u get leather seats (Yes the EX-S is cloth seats! Factory fitted from japan, can't be reupholstered in SG cos it may damage the airbags within), LED running headlights, Front parking sensors, The blind spot indicator, Multiview camera.

Not so important differences:

Conversation mirror (just a stupid mirror in the center above your head so that you can see your passengers without turning head), bodykit, LED headlights and also fog lights, interior blinds, sunshade, moonroof etc ...

• Praise 1

(edited)

Which is better? PI odyssey or Kah motor?

Pi has a new better direct injection engine, lowered and comfortable suspension.

Kah motor has an old but reliable engine. And better electronic options.

Lastly the price for PI is just 2k cheaper then kah motor. Which

Will you guys chose?

Edited by Albacore
  • Praise 1

(edited)

Which is better? PI odyssey or Kah motor?

Pi has a new better direct injection engine, lowered and comfortable suspension.

Kah motor has an old but reliable engine. And better electronic options.

Lastly the price for PI is slightly more expensive then kah motor. Which

Will you guys chose?

PI attractive point is GDI engine with 190bhp,

but only 2 airbags and no traction contral, KM one c/w 6 airbags with traction control,

which one will you?

I heard GDI need high grade fuel as 98 above

Edited by Quantum

wonder you guys own this kind of full size mpv as your only family car or your 2nd/3rd family car?

↡ Advertisement