Degree holders face greatest risk of losing jobs

Darthrevan

This means that Degree Holder still relevant. But pay peg to Poly or ITE depending on which industry 1 is in.

To earn like a degree holder in the past, must be scholar level. [scholar]

then no need to waste 2 yrs of jc and 3 yrs of uni.....save money, sent them to ite as the pay will be the same......hahaha. In the end all degree holder join the Civil Service as the pay is much better. Errrrr....i think thats what the gov wants....they had already outsourced those jobs that employs the lower educated (diploma and below)!
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Turbocharged

local u graduate ... come in interview ... exec level nia ... 3 years experience ... no $4.5k no talk

FT u graduate probably with master ... come in interview ... same exec level ... > 5 years experience ... $3.5k

who do you employ?

Not exactly in my workplace leh. The boss is FT and he FT he brings in easily draw what a first class degree from NUS does. The problem is, the FT is not exactly that "first class".

• Praise 3

Turbocharged

Studying / learning as a lifelong activity is beneficial to us, especially to pick up new skills enabling us to make career moves or protect our jobs.

What the govt is cautioning now, in my opinion, is that youngsters should not have the mindset that once they get a degree, they are set up for life, with iron-clad job options, providing enough for a comfortable lifestyle with condo, car, etc.

We who have worked for some time, know all this, that there are no 100% guaranteed success in career even if you have all the right papers. But the youngsters are not aware, and thus may be dissatisfied once they find out the "hard truths". So, in my opinion, govt is now correcting the expectations of the youth.

I sort of agree with your opinion.

More like a "managing expectations" kind of article rather than to say that degree holders are hopeless cos can be easily replaceable by FT.

Turbocharged

then no need to waste 2 yrs of jc and 3 yrs of uni.....save money, sent them to ite as the pay will be the same......hahaha. In the end all degree holder join the Civil Service as the pay is much better. Errrrr....i think thats what the gov wants....they had already outsourced those jobs that employs the lower educated (diploma and below)!

Only iron rice bowls left:- minister's and above, even screwing things up, still bo tai ji, can sit next to old man in parliament, showing their backings by him!!! HUAT AHH!!

Turbocharged

No wonder our million-dollar minister come out and tell people paper quali not everything.

Uni cert can't beat willingness to accept low wages <------ advantage of being a FT !!!

• Praise 1

I wonder, how many here are in a position to interview and/or make the decision to hire fresh graduates? Or have had fresh graduates report to you in a work capacity?

We can argue that the fault is in the education system - fresh graduates are book-smart but have precious little work skills, especially the kind that goes through the junior college route. As our society gets more educated, and kids get more plugged-in, I feel they're getting less street-smart. And in the working world, street smart still matters as you are engaging people face-to-face, making presentations, negotiating, and getting deals done.

Fresh grads also come into the workforce with a sense of entitlement and inflated sense of self-worth that comes from university prospectuses painting rosy pictures of expected salaries and career prospects. Their parents coddle them through their youth and hope for great things from them while "protecting" them from even being disciplined and scolded in school, or even through National Service.

Singapore is much too small, and too exposed to global affairs and disturbances to have a Bumi-style policy. I am all for employing locals but only if they pull their own weight. If they can't, then they better damn well be humble enough to know that they are learning on the job and appreciate it, and not expect to be slotted into a middle management position with no real-world skills to speak of.

• Praise 2

(edited)

That's why career guidance given to your own children is of utmost importance.

Choose professions that are most in demand, with a growing population targeting 6.9m

Medical profession will go no wrong.

More hospitals being built but still cannot meet growing demand and immigrant + aging population.

Even if hospital job goes awry, can still open private clinic and continue earning top $$$

No worries right?

Edited by Astrid
  • Praise 1

Choose professions that are most in demand, with a growing population targeting 6.9m

More hospitals being built but still cannot meet growing demand and immigrant + aging population.

Even if hospital job goes awry, can still open private clinic and continue earning top $$$

No worries right?

Healthcare and education is recession proof, but it's not the easy job and no work-life balance for a start :D

Healthcare and education is recession proof, but it's not the easy job and no work-life balance for a start :D

Well..... No comments haaaaa

But yup! Recession proof

(edited)

if FT is boss ... for sure la

any if not, once FT had penetrated into management position .... FT brings FT

can't blame them, can you

FT manage FT 100% can tame ... say stand stand ... say sit sit ...

FT manage local ... tough to succeed and probably local will give attitude to FT supervisor ... unless is angmoh ... AMDK ... win liao

Not exactly in my workplace leh. The boss is FT and he FT he brings in easily draw what a first class degree from NUS does. The problem is, the FT is not exactly that "first class".

Edited by Wt_know

if FT is boss ... for sure la

any if not, once FT had penetrated into management position .... FT brings FT

can't blame them, can you

FT manage FT 100% can tame ... FT manage local ... 50-50

Local manage FT ....... Riot !!

While we keep complaining too many FT. Have you ever encounter trying to hire Sporean but no one write in, or unable to find suitable local candidate for the job?

• Praise 1

No worries right?

Open undertaker shop lor

6.9 Consperm got people up Lori one [grin]

• Praise 1

While we keep complaining too many FT. Have you ever encounter trying to hire Sporean but no one write in, or unable to find suitable local candidate for the job?

Mean 100% of the graduate already found a job! mean 2-3 jobs for them to choose.

Supersonic

I have discussed w OC on more than 1 occasion whereby, we concurred we will let our kids take the Poly route & stop there. If O Levels aint good enuff, go ITE first then Poly.

• Praise 1

Since 2011, they have also made up a higher proportion of residents made redundant than among all resident workers.

Experts suggested three reasons for this - jobs lost in restructuring tending to be held by graduates, greater demand for non-academic skills, and substitution by skilled foreign labour

This is the reason - esp the last part
  • Praise 1

Supersonic

And even if local is willing to be underemployed, they may not get the job as hirer under impression that such a local underemployed grad would not stay for long.

Uni cert can't beat willingness to accept low wages <------ advantage of being a FT !!!

Sometimes its darker than this... if FT penetrated HR and IT... most likely Sinkie resumes will be removed and only FT resumes get send up... happened to my OC company...

u see the FT of late are really sub-par and unscrupulous... as some had mentioned... there are some departments fully staff by FT.,.. high paying jobs... something is very wrong rite....u mean sinkie dun want such jobs meh....

to put it bleakly... the current situation is out of control... with 40% of them among us (given their nature)... its so easy to manipulate the system... and already has resulted in pockets of FT strongholds in the local job mkt... hard to eradicate without direct gahment intervention...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3