Japan : Travel to Hokkaido

Ferrislong

Neutral Newbie

Hi All,

My wife and I are thinking of going to hokkaido for a week with my 8th month kid. With the fukushima situation still not solved, I hope to gather some opinions from the wider crowd.

Is this trip advisable?

Thank you,

F

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

should be ok bah.. but go with family wasted lah...

should go with Jap frens if u have...

walk along their famous SUSU KINO

forewarn, not for children to walk along this street...

• Praise 2

Hypersonic

Went with wifey in mid-March.

Joined tour agency, C Bros.

It was end winter, and quite cold :)

Saw snow :))

You can refer to their website for the itinery.

On the whole, worthwhile. Eat good food, sea food, play well, onsen a lot, and yet not so tired travelling :)

Started from Otaru and end at Hakodate :))

Will definitely go again, but will be spring / summer time next year :)

• Praise 3

Just sharing what I did which might not be so convenient with a new born. Nevetheless, just sharing.

Me and wife went from SG -> Tokyo. Took train from Toyoko to Hakotate. Spent a few nights there, then from Hakotate took train to Hakkaido. Spent about 1 week in Hokkaido region.Then from Hakkaido all the way back to Tokyo by train. The train ride from Hokkiado straight to Tokyo is about 9 hours and 3 train rides. (need to change 2 times).

It was quite fun. Just need to buy JR pass from SG, JTC Travel and can take even the bullet train for one of the rides.

• Praise 2

I bought the flexi J Pass Rail 4 days.... Landed Sapporo, Hakodate, Sapporo, Asahikawa (Day trip), Otaru (Day Trip) then Sapporo all the way...

Sapporo - Hakodate (1 chop)

Hakodate - Sapporo (1 chop)

Sapporo - Asahikawa - Sapporo (1 chop)

Sapporo - Otaru - Sapporo (1 chop)

Can reserve seats one and better do... because the journey can be long... Other days in sapporo, i go by bus, sub-way etc.. pretty convenient and good.

For hoots is mostly food like potato farm, liu hua ting (六花亭) and Letao... Jin ho jiak... other stuffs is quite expensive... although you get more stuffs in Muji, Uniqlo than in sinkeeland...

• Praise 1

Hi All,

My wife and I are thinking of going to hokkaido for a week with my 8th month kid. With the fukushima situation still not solved, I hope to gather some opinions from the wider crowd.

Is this trip advisable?

Thank you,

F

Very safe...

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Hi All,

Is this trip advisable?

Thank you,

F

For me, it is a NO. Unless for some reason, I must die die go Japan.

The Fukushima disaster is many much times worse than Chernobyl. Japanese media however, has played it down quite a bit, just like how they play down Japan aggression in WW2.

Those radioactive materials leaked has a half-life of more than a 100 years in the air, water, earth, etc.

I have a Jap fren staying in Singapore for many many years. After the disaster, he went to Fukushima for 6 months for community service. Last December, I met him for lunch. He looked like a guy who has added another 10 years of age and worse still, he seems to have lost at least 15kg of his original weight. He looked sickly but none of us dare to ask what happen to him. Perhaps all of us were too shocked to ask because he has always looked strong and fit. After meeting him, I could not ignore the fact that it may have something to do with his presence in that area.

Anyway, just my opinion. I had a paradigm shift after meeting my friend, but I know most people would go Japan anyway,

• Praise 1

Hi All,

Is this trip advisable?

Thank you,

F

Every country has its own set of problems... If scared then stay in Singapore or go to Singapore islands if die die must go "over-seas"...

Neutral Newbie

+ continue to eat Japanese imported food.

Me and my wife are jap food junkies....hard to kick off the habit [:p]

Bring a radiation detector along....all talk is useless if still die die must go....if the detector read dangerously high....you know you are done for...and should take the next flight out....at least with a scientific proof.

• Praise 1

One of the reasons I love holidaying in Japan so much is the cleanliness of the people.

Japan Fans Stop Behind To Help Tidy Up Their Section Of The Stadium After Ivory Coast Defeat

By Chris Wright

20113051.jpg

Whether simply cleanly or borderline-obsessive, hundreds of Japanese fans stayed behind their side’s 2-1 defeat to the Ivory Coast on Saturday night to help tidy up their sections of the Permanbuco Stadium in Recife.

According to Brazilian news reports, droves of Japan fans walked up and down the stadium rows and concourse in order to pick up rubbish and detritus left underneath seats during the course of the game.

japan-fan.jpg

Completely unnecessary, but still – how thoroughly nice of them!

:D

Totally agreed :)

I don't think anyone in any country can catch up with the Japanese in personal cleanliness and public order :)

• Praise 1

Nothing but respect for those Japanese fans. Top class

I like that they place high emphasis on personal hygiene,

thats why I really like their bath houses

esp the mixed bathing ones.

To me this is very civilised.

:D

↡ Advertisement