How to parallel park perfectly, every time

Lotr

parking_FINAL.jpg

Rules of thumb and experience help, but we prefer repeatable experiments. And if you see this and laugh, you're probably not as good as you think you are. Thankfully, the recipe for a one-move parking job is pretty simple.

1. Pull alongside the car ahead of the space you want. Align your rear axle with that car's bumper. Turn the wheel toward the curb at full lock.

2. Back up until the center of your inside rear tire aligns with the streetside edge of the forward car. Straighten wheel, continue to reverse.

3. When your outside tire aligns with that same edge, turn the wheel the other way.

4. If all went according to plan, you're in the space, bodywork intact. Get out and admire your work.

This guide is helpful provided no other cars on the other side & good space in between.

Too much overhang to the right side and cannot park in tight spaces.

Too much space being wasted at 2 & 3

What I do was, drive up more and the tip of my mirrors will see the front car's taillights (just a little will do).

At 2, I turn 1/2~3/4 steering and slot in (lesser overhang).

Once my front clears the front car, I full lock in (speed of turning the steering wheel is very important).

If turn too fast, too far from kerb.

Turn too slow, too near kerb.

But the good thing, at 3, if you look the mirrors, you can see how well and how fast you need to turn.

Self taught, plentyfull of time during guard duties & actual NS vocation (to park cars in navy ships).

Made perfect during my time as a car dealer.

↡ Advertisement

Rules of thumb and experience help, but we prefer repeatable experiments. And if you see this and laugh, you're probably not as good as you think you are. Thankfully, the recipe for a one-move parking job is pretty simple.

1. Pull alongside the car ahead of the space you want. Align your rear axle with that car's bumper. Turn the wheel toward the curb at full lock.

2. Back up until the center of your inside rear tire aligns with the streetside edge of the forward car. Straighten wheel, continue to reverse.

3. When your outside tire aligns with that same edge, turn the wheel the other way.

4. If all went according to plan, you're in the space, bodywork intact. Get out and admire your work.

Good as a guide but things aren't always like that in real life...sometimes is also depends whether that day or moment wu seh arh see boh seh.

Just to share how to parallel park. I have seen many drivers have difficulty parallel park.

Here's the guide..

1. Stop as close to the side you want to parallel park.

2. Align your car rear wheel to the rear bumper of the car beside.

3. Turn steering wheel full lock and reverse.

4. Once the bonnet is in line with the front car outer side, turn steering wheel full lock the other way round and reverse.

Then last step is make adjustment when is inside the lot.

• Praise 1

Just to share how to parallel park. I have seen many drivers have difficulty parallel park.

Here's the guide..

1. Stop as close to the side you want to parallel park.

2. Align your car rear wheel to the rear bumper of the car beside.

3. Turn steering wheel full lock and reverse.

4. Once the bonnet is in line with the front car outer side, turn steering wheel full lock the other way round and reverse.

Then last step is make adjustment when is inside the lot.

I follow your method but with one additional step.

I will slow down/ stop when driving past the empty lot. I will then agar agar can my car fit inside.

If space is insufficient or its so tight that I have no confidence in parking, I will move off and find another lot.

Cos the lot is empty but you need to consider boot and bonnet of front and rear cars respectively if they are eating into your space and your car rough dimensions as well.

Another assessment I make is that let's say there are three parallel parking lots. For discussion let's assume only three lots there and not there is a fourth lot behind the third lot etc

The front lot is taken by a car which has the boot slightly eating into the second lot. The second and third lots are empty. I will either park in the third lot but hang as much back as possible or find another space but not park at the second lot. Reason I will hang back as far back as possible is so another car can comfortably parallel park in the second lot. But obviously I will make sure I still have room to come out should the second car also park with the boot eating into my space

Reason is that if the front car is eating into the second lot and I park in the second lot (easily done since third lot is empty) but after I leave my car a third car parks in the third lot and eats into the second lot, I will have difficulty in moving off if the front car is still there.

Two cents

Edited by Philipkee
  • Praise 1

wow thanks...I learned this years ago when i was getting my license but I ended up forgetting the exact procedures. after driving for so long i just learned to parallel park by instinct lol 

Parallel parking many times based on mostly instinct, sometimes based on experience de.

• Praise 1

The crucial thing is to understand if your car fit into the targeted lot. The rest is using your side mirrors to assist your car into the lot. Using side mirrors are the best to perfect your parallel and reverse parking.

• Praise 1

Turn on the park assist lol

There is once I encounter 1 Audi A8 driver who rely on the Auto Parking System that it really makes him so dumb.

His car was reversely parked but the front of the car is slanted one side based on the parking line and too close to my vehicle which I have difficulty opening my door.

I told the driver of the Audi A8 and he tell me, the auto parking system is very accurate and my car is parked very straight, I told him and look at yourself.

That is the problem when you rely more on the auto parking system which it is not design for Singapore Road and you cannot even park on your own for Reverse Parking, what a joke!  [laugh]

• Praise 1

If can’t parallel park then still wanna be driving on the road? Drivers Can’t be giving excuses such as using Auto Parking or rarely park parallel. You are a certified driver with license, shouldn’t be giving excuses like this but instead learn it and be responsible of it.

• Praise 1

If can’t parallel park then still wanna be driving on the road? Drivers Can’t be giving excuses such as using Auto Parking or rarely park parallel. You are a certified driver with license, shouldn’t be giving excuses like this but instead learn it and be responsible of it.

Sometimes all it need to some experience. Don't like that leh. Everyone start from noobie and work the way up one.

• Praise 1

Sometimes all it need to some experience. Don't like that leh. Everyone start from noobie and work the way up one.

I agree that people start from noobie, that’s why you have to practice and practice before you go on the road. Can’t be complacent with driving as a driver you are responsible for that few tons metal.

So many people I know whom has vast years of exp in driving still can’t parallel park, don’t bother checking blind spot all because of being complacent.

There is once I encounter 1 Audi A8 driver who rely on the Auto Parking System that it really makes him so dumb.

His car was reversely parked but the front of the car is slanted one side based on the parking line and too close to my vehicle which I have difficulty opening my door.

I told the driver of the Audi A8 and he tell me, the auto parking system is very accurate and my car is parked very straight, I told him and look at yourself.

That is the problem when you rely more on the auto parking system which it is not design for Singapore Road and you cannot even park on your own for Reverse Parking, what a joke! [laugh]

A8 such high tech car, should be able to scan the side parking image n park it straight. N not just rely on sensor alone..

So , its the old A8?

But true, auto parking is only accurate 95% of the times i must say. Not 100%

I agree that people start from noobie, that’s why you have to practice and practice before you go on the road. Can’t be complacent with driving as a driver you are responsible for that few tons metal.

So many people I know whom has vast years of exp in driving still can’t parallel park, don’t bother checking blind spot all because of being complacent.

Because these people avoid doing it, this is why even has vast years of experience in driving still cannot park well. Driving and parking is something that you must keep practising and doing it.

↡ Advertisement