Saw an accident along TPE near Loyang exit 9.50 pm 5 Jun 14

Aukang

Bros,

Just witnessed an accident where a car (looks like a Rush or Terios) coming out from the slip road from PIE to TPE near the Loyang exit towards Punggol didn't see a motorcyclist and side swiped him.

I managed to stop on time just behind the motorcyclist and helped him and his bike to the roadside after putting on my hazard lights.

Motorcyclist uncle was injured, bleeding from his fingers, palms and shin.

As my car was in the middle of the road, with my family inside, I had not choice but to move off quickly after ensuring the uncle and the bike was safely by the road shoulder. I offered to call an ambulance but he declined.

I think the car that side swiped him may have stopped further up ahead on the road shoulder and had his hazard lights on.

My car cam video was unfortunately blur as it was raining and the video was too grainy to determine the license number of 'side swipe'.

In my haste, i did not get the uncle's hp or license plate. Hope he is ok.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 17

Turbocharged

Bros,

Just witnessed an accident where a car (looks like a Rush or Terios) coming out from the slip road from PIE to TPE near the Loyang exit towards Punggol didn't see a motorcyclist and side swiped him.

I managed to stop on time just behind the motorcyclist and helped him and his bike to the roadside after putting on my hazard lights.

As my car was in the middle of the road, with my family inside, I had not choice but to move off quickly after ensuring the uncle and the bike was safely by the road shoulder. I offered to call an ambulance but he declined.

I think the car that side swiped him may have stopped further up ahead on the road shoulder and had his hazard lights on.

My car cam video was unfortunately blur as it was raining and the video was too grainy to determine the license number of 'side swipe'.

Hope the uncle rider is ok and recover soon. YOu did a good job ! [thumbsup]

Bros,

Do submit your video to TP regardless of the blurness.

Well done for helping him.

I was hoping that by posting about the accident, some mcf bros and sis who happened to have witnessed the accident and recorded it to come forward.

Thanks bros fir the suggrstion, I'll submit my video to TP.

Internal Moderator

Can't call ambulance or tp because if a motorcyclist is deemed to have "self skidded", tp will charge him with it and he will get 6 demerit points even if he is a victim. That's if he can't prove anyone hit him.

Friends always warn me.. if you self skid or what but you are ok (just road rash etc), faster pick up the bike and leave before tp comes..

That said, well done TS for helping. Hope the car went back to assist the uncle.

4th Gear

Huh? Self Skidded also kana demerit points?

What's the reasoning behind this?

Can't call ambulance or tp because if a motorcyclist is deemed to have "self skidded", tp will charge him with it and he will get 6 demerit points even if he is a victim. That's if he can't prove anyone hit him.

Friends always warn me.. if you self skid or what but you are ok (just road rash etc), faster pick up the bike and leave before tp comes..

That said, well done TS for helping. Hope the car went back to assist the uncle.

Internal Moderator

Huh? Self Skidded also kana demerit points?

What's the reasoning behind this?

6 demerit points and $200 fine.

Somewhere along the line of failure to control vehicle resulting in an accident.

Supercharged
(edited)

Bros,

great humanity and civic mindedness to help!

on a side note, I always wonder why people never use a better car dvr. I am not specifically referring to you but yesterday I saw a car accident video at sgreckless site. the picture quality is so bad that the licence plate of the perpetrator car can't be seen clearly on the video. even the road signs are very grainy as I can barely make out what the words on the road sign indicate despite it being so huge. if the other car plays punk, this video evidence also no use as it can prove that is the car and this is the road for which the accident took place.

this video is intended to be a piece of evidence and if its quality is so bad, how to be a good piece of evidence. the problem with recording car video is that it is moving and sometimes raining outside, both condition can deteriorate the picture quality a lot if the car camera is a low end model.

http://youtu.be/Ykiwk1SSFuI

Edited by Acemundo

Twincharged

on a side note, I always wonder why people never use a better car dvr. I am not specifically referring to you but yesterday I saw a car accident video at sgreckless site. the picture quality is so bad that the licence plate of the perpetrator car can't be seen clearly on the video. even the road signs are very grainy as I can barely make out what the words on the road sign indicate despite it being so huge. if the other car plays punk, this video evidence also no use as it can prove that is the car and this is the road for which the accident took place.

this video is intended to be a piece of evidence and if its quality is so bad, how to be a good piece of evidence. the problem with recording car video is that it is moving and sometimes raining outside, both condition can deteriorate the picture quality a lot if the car camera is a low end model.

For the video you shared I think the video is clear enough to show who is the wrong. Can clearly see lights in the favour of the car going straight. No need to see the license plate also ok unless its a hit-and-run. Some people just want a car cam that can show what happened in the event of an accident only.

Supercharged

For the video you shared I think the video is clear enough to show who is the wrong. Can clearly see lights in the favour of the car going straight. No need to see the license plate also ok unless its a hit-and-run. Some people just want a car cam that can show what happened in the event of an accident only.

well, for camera buyers, first they can't foresee what sort of accident and driver they will get entangled with. ie they won't know for sure if the other driver admit, or even run away.....also without they won't know what sort of accident they get into. some types of accident although party a no fault, but without video evidence may make party a look more likely the culprit.

as for this accident, what if the right turning car denies all liabities including his car was the one in the video?

the point in getting a car dvr may include to just see the chain of events leading to a collision but it cannot be more important than serving as a piece of evidence. even then prioritising the latter does not preclude the former. the only compromise with prioritising the latter is just more $$$

Twincharged

well, for camera buyers, first they can't foresee what sort of accident and driver they will get entangled with. ie they won't know for sure if the other driver admit, or even run away.....also without they won't know what sort of accident they get into. some types of accident although party a no fault, but without video evidence may make party a look more likely the culprit.

as for this accident, what if the right turning car denies all liabities including his car was the one in the video?

the point in getting a car dvr may include to just see the chain of events leading to a collision but it cannot be more important than serving as a piece of evidence. even then prioritising the latter does not preclude the former. the only compromise with prioritising the latter is just more $$$

You think the insurance companies will believe the black car if he says that that is not his car? And the video is not showing what has happened? Unless he runs away or else its very obvious right. Who would go so far and create another accident at the exact same location just to get a video?

My own camera bought 3 years ago also can't show license plates of the cars unless they are really close but it has helped me in one claim already. Clear enough to see whats going on and who had the right of way.

Supercharged
(edited)

You think the insurance companies will believe the black car if he says that that is not his car? And the video is not showing what has happened? Unless he runs away or else its very obvious right. Who would go so far and create another accident at the exact same location just to get a video?

My own camera bought 3 years ago also can't show license plates of the cars unless they are really close but it has helped me in one claim already. Clear enough to see whats going on and who had the right of way.

if he runs away and denies it, there's no way for them to prove beyond doubt (in the eyes of the law) it is his car. of course la, no one purposely creates accidents. what I am saying is some people unwittingly cause the accident but don't feel like paying increase premiums in the following year of renewal. there are so many cases already, including kurty's most recent account.

your case can claim doesn't give justification it is best practice. the logic has to be, if we have a purpose for buying something, make doubly sure that purpose is adequately met by the something we bought. such purchases are bought for peace of mind (the incidence of having to use it is still relatively low), but with the poor video quality, I say our peace of mind is only half or 1/4 achieved. it may differ from person to person but when sh1t really hits home, then we realise it really stinks horribly.

Edited by Acemundo

Twincharged

Bros,

Hao xin you hao bao. [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

• Praise 1

Twincharged
(edited)

if he runs away and denies it, there's no way for them to prove beyond doubt (in the eyes of the law) it is his car. of course la, no one purposely creates accidents. what I am saying is some people unwittingly cause the accident but don't feel like paying increase premiums in the following year of renewal. there are so many cases already, including kurty's most recent account.

your case can claim doesn't give justification it is best practice. the logic has to be, if we have a purpose for buying something, make doubly sure that purpose is adequately met by the something we bought. such purchases are bought for peace of mind (the incidence of having to use it is still relatively low), but with the poor video quality, I say our peace of mind is only half or 1/4 achieved. it may differ from person to person but when sh1t really hits home, then we realise it really stinks horribly.

Thats what I am trying to say. Different people have different needs. It depends on what is the purpose of the car cam to the person. For me I just need something to prove that what I say is true in the event something happens. Like in Kurty's case, even if license plate cannot be seen clearly, it doesn't matter because if there is a camera it can show what happened even if the license plate is not clear enough to be legible.

I don't intend to leave it recording when I am not in the car so I don't need a camera that can record the license plate clearly in the event of a hit-and-run.

To me so long as the video is clear enough to show what happened during the accident so that the other party cannot lie is enough already.

Edited by Nzy

Supercharged

Thats what I am trying to say. Different people have different needs. It depends on what is the purpose of the car cam to the person. For me I just need something to prove that what I say is true in the event something happens. Like in Kurty's case, even if license plate cannot be seen clearly, it doesn't matter because if there is a camera it can show what happened even if the license plate is not clear enough to be legible.

I don't intend to leave it recording when I am not in the car so I don't need a camera that can record the license plate clearly in the event of a hit-and-run.

To me so long as the video is clear enough to show what happened during the accident so that the other party cannot lie is enough already.

you are taking it too personal. I didn't even say whether you are right or wrong. now you are replying with a stance akin to justifying your decision.

it started out with my view that it is better to pay more for a better camera. better doesn't mean I am insisting all others who didn't do so are wrong. and then you replied with examples of your own claim experience or logic of the insurers handling of the matter which I didn't disagree but only qualified by saying we should work with the worse case scenario of an errant accident perpetrator. because one bad case can wipe out whatever savings from getting a cheaper camera.

I say better to buy better camera because for the additional $100 or so, depreciated over say 3 years of the camera useful life(which is very little actually), we have the peace of mind. I am thinking, not imposing my belief, that surely our peace of mind are worth more than that. even if your peace of mind is otherwise met, I already left it open by saying in previous post "it could differ from person to person"

I see no need for you to justify your personal decision in this discussion .

Yes you are right about this.

This video is already good enough evidence. Green light in camera car's favour.

This is at Bedok Reservoir Road.

↡ Advertisement