Where is your favorite wanton noodle?

nazerath

ABC Market. Cheng JI WTM.. the noodle so Q n chilli is spicy.... best of all the soup is unique..not the average ikan taste.

↡ Advertisement

http://johorkaki.blogspot.sg/2014/02/malaysia-boleh-kl-wanton-mee-at-jurong.html

Malaysia Boleh! KL Wanton Mee at Jurong Point, Singapore

DSC_0112jk.jpg
pinterestx1_72.png

Malaysia Boleh! food court at Jurong Point in Singapore has a stall that serves KL style wanton mee.

Having lived in Kuala Lumpur for a few years, I like the KL style of wanton mee with that heavy lard and char siew drippings. I often joked with my foodie kakis that it's the wanton mee with overused motor oil - black, heavy, gummy, gooey and almost makes your heart stop just by looking at it.

But, it is so darned irresistible :S

Outside of KL, I am skeptical that I will ever find any wanton mee to match.

DSC_0025jk.jpg

Like they say in that old, popular Chicago song, "Baby, what a big surprise...."

The owners of Malaysia Boleh! food court went all the way to KL's famous food street, Jalan Alor and persuaded the KL wanton mee seller there to teach them the recipe.

And, they brought it back to Singapore.

DSC_0125jk.jpg

They even got a KLite, Ah Mun to run the wanton mee stall at Malaysia Boleh! Ah Mum knows very well what the KL wanton mee benchmark is :D

DSC_0121jk.jpg

Dark soy sauce, lard crackles, and I believe char siew drippings, caramel and other trade secrets :D

DSC_0127jk.jpg

The char siew 叉燒 in the stall window were still trickling dribbles of that precious sweet and savoury nectar.

DSC_0043jk.jpg

KL style wanton mee. This one at Malaysia Boleh! certainly looked the part after a good tossing in the sauce.

DSC_0029jk.jpg

Just imagine for yourself - a sauce of char siew drippings, soy sauce, caramel, lard (plus other ingredients I don't know). My foodie kakis gushed. I was pleasantly surprised. Actually, jaw dropping surprised.

It felt like that moment when you embraced a long lost friend whom you bumped into, in the most unexpected place. (Food court can have good food, meh?)

The noodles were also very likable. Slurpy smooth when coated with the sauce, the noodles were el dente in spaghetti speak or QQ in our language.

DSC_0074jk.jpg

The thin slice of char siew was pretty good too - lean, fat with a caramelised outside layer. (My favourite wanton mee stall in KL serves the char siew in chunks.)

DSC_0038jk.jpg

The golden nugget of pure lard was the best :P

DSC_0023jk.jpg

The wanton was good too. Big and meaty with sesame aroma. The soup was sweet and laced with aromatic lard.

Oh, my favourite KL wanton mee stall's motor oil is thicker by a couple of notches but that's another story.... we are down here in Singapore/ Johor.

DSC_0089jk.jpg

pinterestx1_72.png

Malaysia Boleh! Food Court

Address: Jurong Point II, Level 3 (at Boon Lay MRT Station), Singapore

Map: http://goo.gl/maps/ZmFG2

GPS: 1.340615,103.706312

Hours: 10:00am to 10:00pm

• Praise 3

Turbocharged

http://johorkaki.blogspot.sg/2014/02/malaysia-boleh-kl-wanton-mee-at-jurong.html

Malaysia Boleh! KL Wanton Mee at Jurong Point, Singapore

DSC_0112jk.jpg

pinterestx1_72.png

Malaysia Boleh! food court at Jurong Point in Singapore has a stall that serves KL style wanton mee.

Having lived in Kuala Lumpur for a few years, I like the KL style of wanton mee with that heavy lard and char siew drippings. I often joked with my foodie kakis that it's the wanton mee with overused motor oil - black, heavy, gummy, gooey and almost makes your heart stop just by looking at it.

But, it is so darned irresistible :S

Outside of KL, I am skeptical that I will ever find any wanton mee to match.

DSC_0025jk.jpg

Like they say in that old, popular Chicago song, "Baby, what a big surprise...."

The owners of Malaysia Boleh! food court went all the way to KL's famous food street, Jalan Alor and persuaded the KL wanton mee seller there to teach them the recipe.

And, they brought it back to Singapore.

DSC_0125jk.jpg

They even got a KLite, Ah Mun to run the wanton mee stall at Malaysia Boleh! Ah Mum knows very well what the KL wanton mee benchmark is :D

DSC_0121jk.jpg

Dark soy sauce, lard crackles, and I believe char siew drippings, caramel and other trade secrets :D

DSC_0127jk.jpg

The char siew 叉燒 in the stall window were still trickling dribbles of that precious sweet and savoury nectar.

DSC_0043jk.jpg

KL style wanton mee. This one at Malaysia Boleh! certainly looked the part after a good tossing in the sauce.

DSC_0029jk.jpg

Just imagine for yourself - a sauce of char siew drippings, soy sauce, caramel, lard (plus other ingredients I don't know). My foodie kakis gushed. I was pleasantly surprised. Actually, jaw dropping surprised.

It felt like that moment when you embraced a long lost friend whom you bumped into, in the most unexpected place. (Food court can have good food, meh?)

The noodles were also very likable. Slurpy smooth when coated with the sauce, the noodles were el dente in spaghetti speak or QQ in our language.

DSC_0074jk.jpg

The thin slice of char siew was pretty good too - lean, fat with a caramelised outside layer. (My favourite wanton mee stall in KL serves the char siew in chunks.)

DSC_0038jk.jpg

The golden nugget of pure lard was the best :P

DSC_0023jk.jpg

The wanton was good too. Big and meaty with sesame aroma. The soup was sweet and laced with aromatic lard.

Oh, my favourite KL wanton mee stall's motor oil is thicker by a couple of notches but that's another story.... we are down here in Singapore/ Johor.

DSC_0089jk.jpg

pinterestx1_72.png

Malaysia Boleh! Food Court

Address: Jurong Point II, Level 3 (at Boon Lay MRT Station), Singapore

Map: http://goo.gl/maps/ZmFG2

GPS: 1.340615,103.706312

Hours: 10:00am to 10:00pm

This place in Jurong Pt is popular! My fav fdcourt

i used to love the Kong Shang Hua wanton mee at Ghim Moh market but the standard seems to have dropped. my current favorite is Hong Ji at Telok Blangah Drive. old school favourite is Dover Rd wanton mee where I ate since pri school, now at AV.

000YVBC9E7196145E5B765l.jpg

290420093277.jpg?w=300&h=225

img_8296.png

pc_300x225.jpg

Turbocharged

wow the wanton noodles looks awesome. the last one is the traditional kind. so many must try!

• Praise 1

authentic fried hokkien mee do not use any chili paste..this is an example of the chili used

KA-nam-sing-hokkien-mee-3.jpg

That is Nam Seng. My favorite fried hokkien mee in Singapore. You a fan too?

• Praise 4

Supercharged

Steady lah, just look at the dish already know which stall. Where is this nam seng?? I also hokkien mee fan :)

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Hokkien noodles I do not really try because if good can be excellent. If terrible, it is a huge plate to finish. I tried quite a few, but all not nice.

authentic fried hokkien mee do not use any chili paste..this is an example of the chili used

KA-nam-sing-hokkien-mee-3.jpg

actual name should be hokkien prawn mee or sotong mee.....my hokkien mee is this...

4625160409_64027546f5.jpg

• Praise 2

Steady lah, just look at the dish already know which stall. Where is this nam seng?? I also hokkien mee fan :)

Old Airport Road hawker centre. Near the Malay stalls.

Hypersonic

siao liao............If i come in here too often i think my low carb diet hong kan liao..................just cheated on CKT on sunday.............and now looking at the hokkian prawn mee and the hokkian mee...............I die lah............. [laugh] [laugh]

• Praise 1

ate wanton mee at rws malaysia food street last Saturday, cost $5 and only have 4 small pieces of char siew and 2 wanton! expensive and not nice!

• Praise 1

i don't know why, but I don't really think nam sing is that nice. You call it authentic, I find the chilli plain actually. If they comes with chilli sauce, nam sing can definitely taste better.

My favourite prawn noodle, without doubt, "Come Daily" at Toa payah. With or without the chilli.

i don't know why, but I don't really think nam sing is that nice. You call it authentic, I find the chilli plain actually. If they comes with chilli sauce, nam sing can definitely taste better.

My favourite prawn noodle, without doubt, "Come Daily" at Toa payah. With or without the chilli.

I think I OT, best wanton mee is Kok Kee, just won't get sick of it. Think maybe is because of the small portion. But that Hong Ji picture looks great!!

(edited)

Henderson Food Centre. Thumbs up! Have to go early and queue coz it will be sold out by lunch.

Owner makes his own wanton, sui jiao and Cha siu.

Edited by Herz22
  • Praise 1

(edited)

I have tried Tian Tian Lai, it is good but I still prefer Nam Seng, with or without the cut chilli. Taste is subjective but I am not a chilli person, I prefer my stuff original without too much adds on. Example, sushi with a light dip of soya sauce and without wasabi. I can't fathom why so many people are eating sushi dipped in so much wasabi and soya sauce it practically masks the taste of the rice and the raw fish or whatsoever is on top.

Anyway, as long as you enjoy it, who cares! Apology, I think we OT liao.

Edited by Voodooman
  • Praise 1

Supercharged

what you find is nice about eng? very spicy the chilli

i like their chilli, coz i'm a chilli person. i also like the MY black sauce whenever i go to MY. black sauce with pork lard oil.... [nosebleed][nosebleed]

I particularly like ah eng coz their noodles are not the normal factory wantan noodles. their noodles may also from factory (i dunno), but are different, slightly thicker and springy

i always go for value for money food. Never believe in expensive and you are just eating crumbs. you ordered $4 or $5 Ah eng, they really give you $4 or $5 worth of food. $4, you get 4-5 pcs of pretty big wanton with plenty of noodles, vege and char siew. its only fair to a customer. I don't want to pay for a Lexus and I get a Altis to drive. Who's the greater fool?

my bowl in pic is $4 bowl

many wanton stalls, only give miserable 2-3 small wantons and bird size serving of noodles and they charge $4. I'm not a big eater, but i can eat 2-3 plates of other stalls, if I wan to. So what if they got what special sauce and i had to queue for 30 mins?

Ah eng one, $4 bowl is enough for me. $5 is freaking full.

Its all about being fair to consumers.

post-28957-0-24525400-1402369794.jpg

• Praise 2

Jurong West Food Centre (Hong Ji Cooked Food)

505 Jurong West Street 52

Singapore 640505

knn, just now 11+ went to try the won ton mee..... the big car park in front of hawker is demolished!!

the small car park behind the block is DAMN JAM !

wat the hell they building huh? seems like house.....

LLST zao.... :(

↡ Advertisement