Any one know about the new Infiniti Q50

JOHNKHOR

Cannot comment too much (drove first time today). But overall, drive is real solid. And the technology - yummy.

Shall not talk about other cars - there are always the diehard BMWers, and the Mercs... so arguments will not end

Think each car has its own character.. for Infiniti - a lot going for it now i guess:

1. Value for money (the current promotion is very attractive i.e. 16k depreciation per year)

2. Made in Japan!

3. Technology technology technology - i think the second and third generation will even be more impressive. I like the steer by wire technology - found it very cutting edge, but if you are the F1 racer type who wants to feel the elements, perhaps this is not the car. To be frank, dun think most people know that it is steer by wire if you do not tell! Also you could set the lane assist + cruise control and viola technically it can be self-driven on the highway! have not tried yet though. And you can wind down the window at a distance to ventilate the car while you la kopi,,,,

4. it is 1700 kg! Real solid car. Even the door is real heavy.. you may like the German aluminium, but I am a bit old fashion. Light just feel a bit flimsy despite the obvious fuel economics.

5. Despite the weight... 7.2s! I dun get how they did it..

6. The internal trimmings, furnishing etc thrash the plastic offering of most of its peers. I really think one of the German brands is still ripping consumers off on these trimmings,

7. Bose sound system - no big deal actually... but the insulation is quite impressive

• Praise 7

Cannot comment too much (drove first time today). But overall, drive is real solid. And the technology - yummy.

Shall not talk about other cars - there are always the diehard BMWers, and the Mercs... so arguments will not end

Think each car has its own character.. for Infiniti - a lot going for it now i guess:

1. Value for money (the current promotion is very attractive i.e. 16k depreciation per year)

2. Made in Japan!

3. Technology technology technology - i think the second and third generation will even be more impressive. I like the steer by wire technology - found it very cutting edge, but if you are the F1 racer type who wants to feel the elements, perhaps this is not the car. To be frank, dun think most people know that it is steer by wire if you do not tell! Also you could set the lane assist + cruise control and viola technically it can be self-driven on the highway! have not tried yet though. And you can wind down the window at a distance to ventilate the car while you la kopi,,,,

4. it is 1700 kg! Real solid car. Even the door is real heavy.. you may like the German aluminium, but I am a bit old fashion. Light just feel a bit flimsy despite the obvious fuel economics.

6. The internal trimmings, furnishing etc thrash the plastic offering of most of its peers. I really think one of the German brands is still ripping consumers off on these trimmings,

7. Bose sound system - no big deal actually... but the insulation is quite impressive

Congrats on your new car! I so envy you...😊

congratulate collected new ride,

curious in this class why you selected the unpopular model in Singapore over those popular models such as BMW320, VW CC, Merc C200 etc,

BMW 320 and Merc C200 with weaker engines (180+hp) cost ~25-30% (~$220K) more than Q50 Premium (208 hp/ $170k). I think Q50 has more gadgets/features as standard as well.

Actually you need to compare with C250 (it shares the same engine as Q50)

Edited by Mm63
  • Praise 2

Collected the car today. Swee... like the technology and insulation is fantastic. Only bad thing is the radio - once you start the engine, you need to wait for the apps to load before the music come on - not instant... but definitely a solid drive... acceleration is effortless!

Well done. I'm travelling overseas at the moment so have to wait two more weeks.....Boo Hoo.

I didn't know about the radio "issue" but my friend's Santa Fe was the same......no real issue when compared to everything that comes with the car.

oh...no radio issue after all... dun know what happened first time around.

Ok some cons:

1. the middle seat in the back row - very thin cushion... definitely not comfy

2. very few compartments to put small items

not sure what else - overall very impressed.

oh...no radio issue after all... dun know what happened first time around.

Ok some cons:

1. the middle seat in the back row - very thin cushion... definitely not comfy

2. very few compartments to put small items

not sure what else - overall very impressed.

Due to the car RWD,the tunnel is very high,hence the cushion very thin...actually this type of cars together with BMW 3 series & Mercedes Benz C-Class back seat,is best for 2 persons.

Neutral Newbie

Was cross-shopping this against the BMW 3 series and S60 T5. In the end, decided to place an order to the T5, because the overall feel of the interior was more comfortable and the sports seats in the S60 [thumbsup]

Overall, the Infiniti was surprisingly good, but after comparison - especially in terms of price, wasn't enough to sway the decision

Congrats on your new ride.

Its a great choice.

If people keep buying new cars

we won't go into recession.

:D

• Praise 1

Cool.

I can't believe it's only 32k OMV with rear-wheel drive, double-wishbone & sunroof. From driving a GS300, this will be the next car I'll be eyeing for. Only thing I find is the door is too stiff.

I think you got the Premium trim. Is the 19" too bumpy ?

You have my envy.

2. Made in Japan!

Was cross-shopping this against the BMW 3 series and S60 T5. In the end, decided to place an order to the T5, because the overall feel of the interior was more comfortable and the sports seats in the S60 [thumbsup]

Yaep - Volvo front seats are the best in the business, so good it has not changed in design from more than 10-20 years!

I have been sitting in them for a long while.

• Praise 1

I got the sports trim. The 19' tyres are ok. No bumpiness...

Surprising you find the door too stiff? In fact I like it solid and heavy (as mentioned, I am a bit old fashion here). Overall, the ride comfort is definitely rock solid..

Was surprised that maintenance is at 10,000km. Thought Merc Engine - would mean pretty much like conti car where maintenance is more in the 15-18000 km mark....so a bit hostage (too often) to Wearnes for next 3 years... sigh

Surprisingly, nobody copied/cloned the wowo seat. [:p] This one can safely copy without law suit threat unlike fruit phone.

Yaep - Volvo front seats are the best in the business, so good it has not changed in design from more than 10-20 years!

I have been sitting in them for a long while.

Was cross-shopping this against the BMW 3 series and S60 T5. In the end, decided to place an order to the T5, because the overall feel of the interior was more comfortable and the sports seats in the S60

You are right, the front seats are pretty good in the S60.

I sat in it, wasn't too impressed with the dash though, still having the old style number keyboard etc. The rear seats, I thought, would also cause a problem with putting in a booster seat for my little one. Rear seats are still "sculptured" and with my booster being a relatively large one I was worried about it not fitting right.

The dash, style of the Q50 and the fact Volvo only had a single T5 unit left at their promo price meant for me it was also an easier decision. I looked at the BMW 3-Series, briefly. Service at PM sucked, nobody could be bothered to discuss the car, and I'm not a fan of driving a car where every fifth or sixth one around is the same as mine.

i remembered reading your views on ford mondeo thread, what made u choose infiniti q50 over it since both are equally rare. :)

You are right, the front seats are pretty good in the S60.

I sat in it, wasn't too impressed with the dash though, still having the old style number keyboard etc. The rear seats, I thought, would also cause a problem with putting in a booster seat for my little one. Rear seats are still "sculptured" and with my booster being a relatively large one I was worried about it not fitting right.

The dash, style of the Q50 and the fact Volvo only had a single T5 unit left at their promo price meant for me it was also an easier decision. I looked at the BMW 3-Series, briefly. Service at PM sucked, nobody could be bothered to discuss the car, and I'm not a fan of driving a car where every fifth or sixth one around is the same as mine.

i remembered reading your views on ford mondeo thread, what made u choose infiniti q50 over it since both are equally rare. :)

Haha, yes.........I'm coming off driving Subarus for the past 15yrs or so, last two being Legacy, so I found testing FWD again quite awkward from AWD. The RWD of the Q50 felt more natural since it was what I was driving before my first Impreza. Looking back on it, I've only had one FWD car before and it was for such a short period of time maybe I never got used to it......the fact it had no power maybe also helped.

I took bad with the Mondeo's torque steer, although I expect I would learn to overcome that. With the Q50 I felt more at home from the first couple of corners.

There was also some kind of Collision Avoidance thing, that lit up a row of red LED and let of a warning noise as I was passing a car - quite distracting on a test drive when you don't even know it's there. SE said over a certain rpm it will go off if there is a car off at the side and that, I didn't like or need. I mean, I knew the car was there already and I was nowhere near hitting it.

Maybe I also felt the Mondeo was a little too big for what I need.

Whilst there is quite a difference in price, I worked out the rebates, depreciation, finance etc. and found that after 5yrs there was only a couple of $ per month difference in running cost so it also made sense to pick the more expensive option with higher returns.......given that, for me, it suited my driving style as well.

I'm only not sure if I can get two sets of gold clubs in the back of the Q50 whilst leaving the seats up!