Singapore's worst driving habit: Drivers who don't signal

Darthrevan

I usually signal.

So when i signaled and then the car closes the gap, I cut off my signal and continue to go straight.

Then I change lane.

Why ?

Because the idiot is being an idiot for purposely refusing my polite intention.

↡ Advertisement

One thing.. If u try to cut queue then u can't blame anyone for not giving way

exactly ,those ppl who always complain u signal and never give way.

maybe u should look at how are u trying to cut in,

is it u never q up, go all the way in front, signal and expect ppl to give way??

most of the time i signal, ppl give way, not the first 1, but after a few cars drive pass, confirm will have 1 nice guy slow down for me [laugh]

• Praise 5

(edited)

I usually signal.

So when i signaled and then the car closes the gap, I cut off my signal and continue to go straight.

Then I change lane.

Why ?

That's why must buy car with torque to weight ratio of 1:5

Edited by Davidtch

Supersonic

I usually signal.

Then I change lane.

Why ?

but if you do that then you would be just like one of them...
  • Praise 1

Beside lane change not signalling, there are some who just dont bother to singal before turning into car park or minor road from the main road. I dont know how you will feel, but for me, i always feel pissed to see them turn in without singal while i am waiting to turn out and thinking they are going straight.

This is nothing.

Worst is they signal to say they are turning into minor road from main road but just as I am about to move out they cancel signal and go straight.

The most dangerous drivers I feel in a neighbourhood area are those who are lost. They can turn suddenly, brake suddenly and signal here then suddenly cancel......

• Praise 1

Bro, I gave you the dislike because you said you hardly signal.

For that statement only not directed at you.

I do signal at every turn, lane change filtering and overtaking.

I only don't signal during these situations.

1) single lane with bend.

2) merging lane with road markings

Because intention / road layout is already there.

However for merging (without lane markings) like at road works, tree pruning etc will definitely signal too.

Even late at night when no cars behind. Because never know if there will be motorist, PMD or pedestrian just appear.

Not sure if I doing the right thing but when I go to a roundabout, assuming the lane has no markings and I am near the outer area (of no Lane markings), I will signal RIGHT if I am approaching an exit but I don't intend to exit and signal LEFT if I intend to exit.

So far I only use this practice in Malaysia cos you don't really have many roundabouts with no Lane marking in Singapore (heading towards tuas checkpoint there is one and I use this method ).

Beside lane change not signalling, there are some who just dont bother to singal before turning into car park or minor road from the main road. I dont know how you will feel, but for me, i always feel pissed to see them turn in without singal while i am waiting to turn out and thinking they are going straight.

Ha! This is just as infuriating. I get that a lot not just while driving, but as a pedestrian and cyclist. Some times I really feel like hitting the vehicle when it crawls past.

This is nothing.

Worst is they signal to say they are turning into minor road from main road but just as I am about to move out they cancel signal and go straight.

The most dangerous drivers I feel in a neighbourhood area are those who are lost. They can turn suddenly, brake suddenly and signal here then suddenly cancel......

Agree with this and most of the time, it's inexcusable. Singapore is really small and even with a wrong turn, it'll just be a few minutes, or a little more, before any driver can make their way back.

Taking a risk by braking suddenly is just going to make things worse.

For me, one of the most irritating driving habits I have often observed is the failure (or intentional) to signal on a dual-directional lane, when the driver/rider intends to turn [thumbsdown]  

There are many traffic light junctions that have right-turn only lanes and right-turn-and-go-straight (dual-directional) lanes. What simply irks me firstly is, some vehicles choose to use the dual-directional lane to turn right when the right-turn only lane is empty. Secondly, when these vehicles hogged the dual-directional lane, most do not signal their intention to turn. So when the traffic lights turn green for vehicles to go straight, those vehicles waiting behind the vehicle that wants to turn right but fails to signal, will be stuck behind.   

What's even more frustrating - some give you the middle finger when you honk at them [confused]

Sad state of affairs:(

It's frustrating, yes. However, it does not give you the right not to expect to be shown some retaliation (i.e., birdie, etc) when you honk at them. 

Most of the time, the driver of the second car is an "adventurous" type as he chooses the lane with only one car queuing when the rest are queuing at straight-only lanes. No risk, no gain - high risk can result in zero gain too.

I usually signal.

Then I change lane.

Why ?

When this happens to me, I will cancel signal, drive up further and change lane a few cars in front of him. He will be more dulan.

It helps that I have a habit of changing lane earlier as this gives me more time to handle such drivers.

Supersonic

When this happens to me, I will cancel signal, drive up further and change lane a few cars in front of him. He will be more dulan.

It helps that I have a habit of changing lane earlier as this gives me more time to handle such drivers.

Plenty of such idiot driver around, dont know why they perform such stunt? People already signal long ago to change lane and yet these idiot just speed up and close the gap?!

Supersonic

Plenty of such idiot driver around, dont know why they perform such stunt? People already signal long ago to change lane and yet these idiot just speed up and close the gap?!

Ego problem.

They think they have the right of way

For me, one of the most irritating driving habits I have often observed is the failure (or intentional) to signal on a dual-directional lane, when the driver/rider intends to turn [thumbsdown]  

There are many traffic light junctions that have right-turn only lanes and right-turn-and-go-straight (dual-directional) lanes. What simply irks me firstly is, some vehicles choose to use the dual-directional lane to turn right when the right-turn only lane is empty. Secondly, when these vehicles hogged the dual-directional lane, most do not signal their intention to turn. So when the traffic lights turn green for vehicles to go straight, those vehicles waiting behind the vehicle that wants to turn right but fails to signal, will be stuck behind.   

What's even more frustrating - some give you the middle finger when you honk at them [confused]

Sad state of affairs:(

I share your sentiment. Really frustrating to meet these type of drivers. Don't understand why is it so difficult to signal their intention to turn right and caused the traffic to pile up behind them. This will also cause accident if some drivers who travel straight failed to see the idiot who is going to turn right without signaling.  

Supersonic

Ego problem.

They think they have the right of way

Think so, many people nowadays have huge ego.

A good rule of thumb is to drive with the assumption that everyone else on the road could not. Thus I'll take every precaution and signal every intention (Even when its a turn-right-only lane).

I'm still check my blind spot religiously for every change of lane that I do because every life matters. I know of some friends who already quit the blind spot check ever since they passed the driving test  [laugh]

• Praise 1

Supersonic

A good rule of thumb is to drive with the assumption that everyone else on the road could not. Thus I'll take every precaution and signal every intention (Even when its a turn-right-only lane).

I'm still check my blind spot religiously for every change of lane that I do because every life matters. I know of some friends who already quit the blind spot check ever since they passed the driving test [laugh]

Checking blind spot is a good practice but make sure you slow down and ensure you keep a safe distance from the vehicle in front.

I share your sentiment. Really frustrating to meet these type of drivers. Don't understand why is it so difficult to signal their intention to turn right and caused the traffic to pile up behind them. This will also cause accident if some drivers who travel straight failed to see the idiot who is going to turn right without signaling.  

Sometimes people simply forget to signal, especially if the car in front of them does not signal (due to going straight or due to driver being an S hole). I was once guilty of this as well. Sibei paisei when the light turned green and I wanted to turn right.

↡ Advertisement