HD & UHD TVs Price & Inventory Cost

NightWind

(edited)

Hi all its that time of year when my hands itch fer that new HD or UHD Tv at the IT shows but I resisted temptation as there is nothing wrong with my 7yr old FHD TV and I also thought I share some open secrets with the bros here. You guys probably know this already but do share your thoughts.

High Product Obsolence and Low Inventory Turn over are the greatest nightmare for retailers and manufacturers. They directly translate to higher Stowage Costs, Higher Depreciation Costs and Higher Financing Costs on a daily basis. Right now its especially bad because there has been a substantive milestone technology leap when we see UHDs making the entrance into the mass market.

In the past, to offset the above costs, manufacturers can write-off and "scrap" old 1080p panels instead of selling them at a 50-75% mark down. The reason for doing this is that I) they do not erode the price of existing models, and ii) at least 50% of the panel can be re-used and repackaged in a new FHD TV. E.g. they simply stick in wifi and better processors etc to convert the panel to a SMRT 3D TV for relaunch.

This option is fast running out for manufacturers with the entry of UHDs mainly because the TV Panel (which is the most expensive part of the TV) in a FHD TV cannot be re-used in a UHD TV. So there is now a huge build up (over 12-24 months) of old FHD TVs which are gathering dust in stowage all over asia. Analyst have valued these obsolete panels at scrap value but retailers continue to try to sell them at "current retail price".

Retailers get away with this because of market imperfections and indirect collusion amongst all the major brands (Korean and Japanese alike) not to drop price. This does not make economic sense as it costs the retailers more, to stow these obsolete panels, than to release them even at a 50-75% mark down.

Basically as a rough gauge any FHD panel you see out there is obsolete given the UHD's entry into the market and the "real value" is at least 50%-75% off retail. For the moment there is still a case to be made for buying a non UHD (or FHD) TV due to general lack of 4k content. But this case is diminished as we see UHD panels approaching the price of FHD panels and it is very very glaring to see both in the same price range.

There are of cause exceptions to the general rule (like Oled Curved TVs). Toshiba recently launched a 58" UHD TV at below $3,888/- but it was a dismal failure as the picture quality of the panel was even more inferior than that of a good FHD TV. The moral of the story being that more pixels do not necessarily mean a better panel and better picture quality. But these cases are rare exceptions and by and large the market will continue to see good quality UHDs approaching the price of FHD TVs due to economies of scale.

Any way I am sure most of the bros here already know this. For me anyway, everytime I see a FHD TV now I will discount the retail price by 50%-75% and mentally value this with the mark down.

Happy shopping and pls share your comments as usual :)

Edited by NightWind
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Nothing new here. No such thing as a "perfectly competitive" market so indirect collusion amongst the top brands is expected. And it applies for all IT products (handphones, PC, Laptops, etc).

But yeah 50%-75% mark down of official rp is a lot n they r all taking us fer a ride. But there's nothing we can do n its out of our hands.

• Praise 2

Electronics Retail is a tough market nowadays. I don't really begrudge them trying to make $.

Many of the top TV makers are bleeding money.

It's one area i find u are getting your money's worth most of the time.

Toshiba is for budget users lah. I had a toshiba 720p tv. It's good cos it was cheap. It's image quality and especially upscaling of lower resolution images is not good at all compared to the koreans/Sony etc.

• Praise 2

U r right Lala81. Here is the Cnet asia review of the Toshiba 58" UHD which was retailing at below $3,888/-

I think the price is lower now but its not a good buy even though its same price as some FHDs

http://www.cnet.com/products/toshiba-65l9300u/

Electronics Retail is a tough market nowadays. I don't really begrudge them trying to make $.

Many of the top TV makers are bleeding money.

It's one area i find u are getting your money's worth most of the time.

Toshiba is for budget users lah. I had a toshiba 720p tv. It's good cos it was cheap. It's image quality and especially upscaling of lower resolution images is not good at all compared to the koreans/Sony etc.

I have a question:

With digital HD broadcast to be launched by MediaCorp in SG soon, should we even buy today's LCD TVs with analog receivers - be it FHD, UHD, or OLED Curved?

Shouldn't we wait for FHD or UHD TVs with built-in digital receivers instead, when the actual switch to digital broadcasting is made?

That is, tahan and hold on to our analog TVs for a few years more and not buy now?

• Praise 2

I have a question:

With digital HD broadcast to be launched by MediaCorp in SG soon, should we even buy today's LCD TVs with analog receivers - be it FHD, UHD, or OLED Curved?

Shouldn't we wait for FHD or UHD TVs with built-in digital receivers instead, when the actual switch to digital broadcasting is made?

That is, tahan and hold on to our analog TVs for a few years more and not buy now?

i'm not really into this. But i think its DVB-T2. I think many of the current TVs esp the midrange one onwards should have this already.

Hi W210k that's a good question. For the sake of clarity HD 1080i broadcast has been available from Mediacorpse years back, albeit only to set-top box users via Starfcuk and Sinktel. Forgive the pun, I don't like em.

The digital ready TV u refer to r for non-settop box users who access free to air channels direct via satellite. Personally I don't view the free to air channels due to poor content. But if this is your only source (and I sincerely hope its not) then yeah, wait and get the digital ready FHD or UHDs. Bear in mind the new digital standard is not true 1080p, it will only be at 1080i but fer most folks you wont see or feel the difference.

One other option u can consider is to get a Xbox One. This console has a HDMI INPUT which should allow the image to be upscaled to 1080p. But that involves routing the satellite receiver through HDMI INPUT of the Xbox One.

Anyway Xbox One is another story la. I gotta wait till 23 Sep before I can scratch that itch.

Bro, if u r on sinktel internet u should get mio tv settop box fer free and it will solve your problem. Then you wont need a Digital ready FHD and UHD TV.

• Praise 2

Supersonic

What's the point of mentally marking down the price by 75%?

My concern should be this: Where can I get one for 75% less than retail price?

• Praise 4

I only go to these show and look for something cheap that I can afford, anything of 42" at below $800 [laugh] [laugh]

• Praise 1

I only go to these show and look for something cheap that I can afford, anything of 42" at below $800 [laugh] [laugh]

i bought mine 2 yrs ago, at $599, 42"

now sure can get

• Praise 1

The moral of the story being that more pixels do not necessarily mean a better panel and better picture quality
Absolutely right and couldn't agree more.
HD Ready plasmas were already better than FHD let alone top end
Kuro series. The reason companies ended plasma to sell LCD is cos
LCDs were more profitable.
:D
  • Praise 2

(edited)

I have a question:

That doesn't matter if you have a Mio/Starhub tv box at home since that is already digital. Many newer TVs already supports DVB-T2.

My current TV was a year end 2013 model with T2 receivers built-in.

Edited by Holdenutessv
  • Praise 3

Turbocharged
(edited)

Side trek a bit.

Nowadays, how do you folks record TV programmes?

I have not done any recording ever since I threw away my National brand vcr many years back.

Possible to record directly to thumbdrive? I know this sounds silly but I am not embarassed to ask.

Edited by Albeniz