Upgrade home aircon - is this possible?

Bluepica

My home is using a system 3 for all the room except the living hall. Wanted to add a system 1 to the living hall. Aircon ledge no problem to add on another outdoor unit, power point also ok. but need to add a bracket.

I was considering, instead of adding a bracket and outdoor unit, can I change the outdoor unit to a system 4 and getting only the indoor unit for the living hall and use back existing room indoor unit? Giving all are using the same model. My current one only 2 years old and still available in the market (Panasonic NKZ)

Wonder anyone done that before...

↡ Advertisement

that time I asked think not possible, want to add another compressor also not allowed. they asked me to change the whole system or go for the window unit.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

My home is using a system 3 for all the room except the living hall. Wanted to add a system 1 to the living hall. Aircon ledge no problem to add on another outdoor unit, power point also ok. but need to add a bracket.

I was considering, instead of adding a bracket and outdoor unit, can I change the outdoor unit to a system 4 and getting only the indoor unit for the living hall and use back existing room indoor unit? Giving all are using the same model. My current one only 2 years old and still available in the market (Panasonic NKZ)

I did the reverse, change a newer series blower (old one spoilt) while reusing the old system 4 compressor, so don't see why it's not possible.

Usually it's juz a mix-match of compressor to blower within the brand.

But one consideration is that how frequently you are using the units together. If everything is on constantly, you might want to consider a separate system 1 for that additional cooling power.

• Praise 1

not possible, end up ur outdoor unit not enough power. It is designed for 3 not for 4

• Praise 1

I did the reverse, change a newer series blower (old one spoilt) while reusing the old system 4 compressor, so don't see why it's not possible.

Usually it's juz a mix-match of compressor to blower within the brand.

But one consideration is that how frequently you are using the units together. If everything is on constantly, you might want to consider a separate system 1 for that additional cooling power.

The hall unit definitely will be less usage, infact I wanted to get a non-inverter due to lower cost and low operation time, but NEA had stopped industry from importing non-inverter aircon :(

not possible, end up ur outdoor unit not enough power. It is designed for 3 not for 4

erh... I'm switching outdoor from sys-3 to sys-4

• Praise 1

Upgrade first, wait until HDB comes and check. If cannot, remove lor and by then, don't know how many years gone leow ..... -_-

HDB never send officers for house to house check unless you quarrel with your neighbours and they sabor you in making a complaint to HDB ..... [lipsrsealed]

• Praise 3

Turbocharged
(edited)

i think you can do that but what are you going to do to your 2 year old panasonic?

What about getting a system 2 instead and run two to the hall? You should confirm if this is allowed on the ledge.

Edited by nazerath

So lasting huh.

Last time I buy the washing machine, fridge and Aircon all national Panasonic one

All made in Japan one

Damn ho tong one

• Praise 1

I bought a system 4 compressor for a system 3. If want to upgrade, open up the aircon trucking, fix one pipe to coolant outlet and 1 more fancoil to the room without aircon...

• Praise 1

When I shopped for my aircon last time, I read its product specification that includes compatibility between indoor and outdoor units. If I still recall correctly, most indoor units are compatible with multiple outdoor units, so in theory I don't see why you can't do the above from a technical PoV.

But from a financial PoV, you are effectively deciding between 2 options:

1) install a brand new system-1 that includes an indoor unit, and an outdoor unit;

2) install a system-4 outdoor unit, and an indoor unit;

Usually a system-4 outdoor unit costs more than system-1, so unless you can sell your existing system-3 outdoor unit to offset the cost, why would you consider option 2? Not to mention that a system-4 usually consumes more energy than a system-3 if you only turn on one or two indoor units most of the time?

• Praise 1

that time I asked think not possible, want to add another compressor also not allowed. they asked me to change the whole system or go for the window unit.

HDB sets rules donkey years ago and during that time, air-con compressor noisy, high power consumption and not that advance.

Nowadays air-con consumption lower, more powerful and silent.

So when you go and ask them can or cannot, they just follow rules set donkey years ago and answer 'cannot'. Stereo mind set, nobody want to change the rules.

If you remember well the case by NEA licence which had a clause that had been void many years leow. That rules still there on the 'licence' until someone from the hawker stall pointed out to someone and that someone so proud to had that removed and announced it. Doesn't the department concern to review their rules every year as they are the one who set those rules... [grin]

• Praise 2

HDB sets rules donkey years ago and during that time, air-con compressor noisy, high power consumption and not that advance.

So when you go and ask them can or cannot, they just follow rules set donkey years ago and answer 'cannot'. Stereo mind set, nobody want to change the rules.

If you remember well the case by NEA licence which had a clause that had been void many years leow. That rules still there on the 'licence' until someone from the hawker stall pointed out to someone and that someone so proud to had that removed and announced it. Doesn't the department concern to review their rules every year as they are the one who set those rules... [grin]

ya I also waiting for them to officially announce that we can place 2 compressors....my living room needs 2 at least haiz....

can't catch up with technology because the committee members are all from Jurassic park? [sly]

Those new flats that come with aircon ledge are allow to place two compressors provided not exceeding certain weight. The powerpoint (grey color box), what's the rating? Anyone know? if I add on one more compressor, can both compressor tap to the same point or it's compulsory to have a standalone point for each compressor? Some aircon man say yes, some say no.... I got contradictory feedback from them [confused]

HDB website doesn't state anything about sharing powerpoint for aircon compressor but only stated that as long as the power consumption doesn't exceed the rating of the point.

"The running current of air-conditioner should be restricted by 20amps DP isolator or 15amps power point" - from HDB website

Selling my lao pork 15 year old Panasonic system now!!!! [grin]

my Panasonic system 3 also 15 years liao, still working fine, cos i hardly turn on until the recent hit wave [sweatdrop]

↡ Advertisement