Upgrade home aircon - is this possible?

Bluepica

Turbocharged

Firstly I am not a certified electrician or had any training at all but I run the entire cables myself for my place and some other places a long while back.

for me if possible I would run a 20a breaker and run another line to the room. They are using 2.5 copper cables for aircon in case you are wondering Using the same line can be considered if you run two socket that have switches but I would be more careful but should be ok too.

↡ Advertisement

my Panasonic system 3 also 15 years liao, still working fine, cos i hardly turn on until the recent hit wave [sweatdrop]

my one, last 15 years, everyday sure turn on

really served my family faithfully for all these 15 years [thumbsup]

Turbocharged

my one, last 15 years, everyday sure turn on

really served my family faithfully for all these 15 years [thumbsup]

You ask people to wash or do it yrself?

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

ya I also waiting for them to officially announce that we can place 2 compressors....my living room needs 2 at least haiz....

If you aircon ledge is big enough and your house current rating is the latest one (check HDB site for infor), you can put 2 aircon compressor.

My current flat at sengkang I renovated in yr 2000, already put in a system 3 (3 room) and sysem 2 (living room). My renovation company check with HDB and no problem.

If your flat is older build in the 80s or 90s, then the current rating might be too low for 2 compressor.

• Praise 1

You ask people to wash or do it yrself?

chemical wash i ask people do

normal wash i do

i use the following equipment:

1518110xj3.jpg

and

portable-garden-hose-reel-dark-green-hos

the steam alone is unable to remove the dirt

but water + the pressure of steam gets rid of dirt real fast

but need to get a baby bath tub below to collect the dirty water

• Praise 1

If you aircon ledge is big enough and your house current rating is the latest one (check HDB site for infor), you can put 2 aircon compressor.

My current flat at sengkang I renovated in yr 2000, already put in a system 3 (3 room) and sysem 2 (living room). My renovation company check with HDB and no problem.

If your flat is older build in the 80s or 90s, then the current rating might be too low for 2 compressor.

Damn, then cannot already. my house is 70s, I think older than me........

move house liow.......sianz~~

can't catch up with technology because the committee members are all from Jurassic park? [sly]

Those new flats that come with aircon ledge are allow to place two compressors provided not exceeding certain weight. The powerpoint (grey color box), what's the rating? Anyone know? if I add on one more compressor, can both compressor tap to the same point or it's compulsory to have a standalone point for each compressor? Some aircon man say yes, some say no.... I got contradictory feedback from them [confused]

HDB website doesn't state anything about sharing powerpoint for aircon compressor but only stated that as long as the power consumption doesn't exceed the rating of the point.

"The running current of air-conditioner should be restricted by 20amps DP isolator or 15amps power point" - from HDB website

Yoz Bro,

I think you have not ask the correct air con dealer.

In normal HDB ledge area size, most of them will either mount the second smaller compressor on the wall within the ledge compound or have a bracket mount above the other compressor (without touching the below compressor unit). unless you have the air con ledge size which is wide enough to place them side to side. (side to side means both the out flow air is facing the same direction)

The HDB provide a 400V/3P/50Hz power point for the air con ledge. In some HDB, in the master bedroom, there have an extra air-con powerpoint (with plug round holes), that can use for another compressor. if don have, and you want to install one more compressor, the contractor will usually need to run a new cable, which is tap from your MCB, a new higher voltage (400V) power line, to power supply the second unit.

Remember, the 400V power point at the air-con ledge are not allow to share for 2 units.

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

Damn, then cannot already. my house is 70s, I think older than me........

move house liow.......sianz~~

I heard that if your flat had been upgraded, HDB might had changed to a higher rating.....

Yoz Bro,

In normal HDB ledge area size, most of them will either mount the second smaller compressor on the wall within the ledge compound or have a bracket mount above the other compressor (without touching the below compressor unit). unless you have the air con ledge size which is wide enough to place them side to side. (side to side means both the out flow air is facing the same direction)

The HDB provide a 400V/3P/50Hz power point for the air con ledge. In some HDB, in the master bedroom, there have an extra air-con powerpoint (with plug round holes), that can use for another compressor. if don have, and you want to install one more compressor, the contractor will usually need to run a new cable, which is tap from your MCB, a new higher voltage (400V) power line, to power supply the second unit.

Remember, the 400V power point at the air-con ledge are not allow to share for 2 units.

Then in that case I have no choice but to change my whole sys-3 to sys-4 [bigcry]

Running extra powerpoint is not an option due to reno that cover up the MCB.

For a system 4- Mits MXY3A28 enough for a 9+9+9+18 combi?

Supersonic

chemical wash i ask people do

normal wash i do

i use the following equipment:

1518110xj3.jpg

and

portable-garden-hose-reel-dark-green-hos

the steam alone is unable to remove the dirt

but water + the pressure of steam gets rid of dirt real fast

but need to get a baby bath tub below to collect the dirty water

Chemical cleaning is usually by caustic soda. I have the chemical.

It's not friendly to aluminum fins. So better not to use it.

I have pressure sprayer, but again be careful. If it's not aimed properly, directly at the fins, a distance apart, you might bend the radiator fins.

My compressor had a layer of blackish dirt almost like a blanket covering the fins, it's very difficult to get it out.

My final solution was spraying it with kao colour bleach (oxygen bleach), then finished up with pressure sprayer.

My home is using a system 3 for all the room except the living hall. Wanted to add a system 1 to the living hall. Aircon ledge no problem to add on another outdoor unit, power point also ok. but need to add a bracket.

I was considering, instead of adding a bracket and outdoor unit, can I change the outdoor unit to a system 4 and getting only the indoor unit for the living hall and use back existing room indoor unit? Giving all are using the same model. My current one only 2 years old and still available in the market (Panasonic NKZ)

Wonder anyone done that before...

Add another fan coil is possible. Just that you need to make sure all 4 don't turn on at the same time. the coolant pipe that join with the existing fan coil must not turn on at the same time.

Alternatively is add another system 1 or window unit (which may not be strong enough to cool the living room). Not ALL HDB cannot have 2 compressor. Must check from HDB website whether your block is equipped with higher amp. My unit in CCK is allowed.

• Praise 1

Add another fan coil is possible. Just that you need to make sure all 4 don't turn on at the same time. the coolant pipe that join with the existing fan coil must not turn on at the same time.

Alternatively is add another system 1 or window unit (which may not be strong enough to cool the living room). Not ALL HDB cannot have 2 compressor. Must check from HDB website whether your block is equipped with higher amp. My unit in CCK is allowed.

wait wait... "

Add another fan coil is possible. Just that you need to make sure all 4 don't turn on at the same time. the coolant pipe that join with the existing fan coil must not turn on at the same time."

does that means I can add a fan coil (indoor unit) without touching or upgrading the compressor to support 4 fan coil? (currently 3 fan coil for 3 bedroom only)

• Praise 1

wait wait... "

Add another fan coil is possible. Just that you need to make sure all 4 don't turn on at the same time. the coolant pipe that join with the existing fan coil must not turn on at the same time."

does that means I can add a fan coil (indoor unit) without touching or upgrading the compressor to support 4 fan coil? (currently 3 fan coil for 3 bedroom only)

Yup. It depends on whether the aircon buy want to do or not. Biggest issue is can they find another of the same fan coil as the existing unit or not.

• Praise 1

Yup. It depends on whether the aircon buy want to do or not. Biggest issue is can they find another of the same fan coil as the existing unit or not.

But the outdoor unit only got 3 sets of piping for 3 indoor units only.... got one hidden sets for future expansion? [confused]

Chemical cleaning is usually by caustic soda. I have the chemical.

It's not friendly to aluminum fins. So better not to use it.

I have pressure sprayer, but again be careful. If it's not aimed properly, directly at the fins, a distance apart, you might bend the radiator fins.

My compressor had a layer of blackish dirt almost like a blanket covering the fins, it's very difficult to get it out.

My final solution was spraying it with kao colour bleach (oxygen bleach), then finished up with pressure sprayer.

the pressure stray that i use is not the wash the car type

it is just a steam cleaner

the pressure is very low

wont bend the fins

but strong enough to push the water from the water hose into the aircon

• Praise 1

Yoz Bro,

I got a reply from HDB branch office that says my BTO unit single isolator is able to take 2 compressor... so I guess issue solve, adding a single unit, instead of changing the whole system that cost a bomb [sweatdrop]

But the outdoor unit only got 3 sets of piping for 3 indoor units only.... got one hidden sets for future expansion? [confused]

That's why I say need to share the coolant pipe with one of the existing unit.

Then in that case I have no choice but to change my whole sys-3 to sys-4 [bigcry]

Running extra powerpoint is not an option due to reno that cover up the MCB.

For a system 4- Mits MXY3A28 enough for a 9+9+9+18 combi?

Me using Mit MXY-4A38VA for two rooms and living room.10+10+18 combo.

Aircon cooling damn power.

Electrical bill also power!!!! Although its an inverter. [sweatdrop]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1