Korea Taxi Driver Unexpected Acceleration

Yewheng

Turbocharged

Guys, in such a situation, NO handbrake, NO reverse gear, NO switch off engine, NO stepping on brakes all the way, NO NO NO!!!

All wrong!!!

If this happens, please go to NEUTRAL GEAR first, then APPLY FOOTBRAKE.

Handbrake = will cause car to drift = dangerous

Reverse gear = same as above

Switch off engine = lose brake assist and power steering + steering lock (some cars) = cannot control car

Holding footbrake while gear engaged = brake fade = no brakes

Please learn this. I have had a friend who had 2 stupid layers of thick carpet. He usually don't floor it but going up north he whack until max, then when he saw the toll his accelerator pedal stuck and he could not brake. The more you step on the brake while the engine is pushing, the more it fades, the worse it gets. The engine is totally capable of overcoming the brakes.

Luckily he disengage the gear in time before smashing into a queue of cars at the toll.

Always remember that the first thing you do is to disengage the GEARS.

yup.. problem is... with the proliferation of auto trans, most drivers don't really focus much on the use/role of gearbox :(

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Twincharged

Wall-mounted gas pedal: not sure if it will ever get stucked unless spring gave way? Even if spring gave way and pedal cannot return itself, just use your feet to pull back by going your feet behind the pedal.

Floor-mounted gas pedal: it's connected via a rod I supposed? Or some sensors now with e-throttle? Prone to get stucked. Once stucked, how to use your feet to pull up?

E-Throttle,if the sensor something wrong,the car will still full power,even..you don't step on it.

• Praise 2

Not sure about newer car with newer technology, my lao pok chia toyota, I won't be able to take out my car key unless I shift the gear to P.

If the Korean teksi unker zham brake and shift to P, and take out his key , I am sure engine will be cut off right?

Correct me if I am wrong.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

What will you react in driving a car caught in this unstoppable emergency situation :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGSLrgByqOY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO5MU91Thmo

Is it possible to pull handbrake hard and play the steering wheel etc to make multiple "handbrake turns" ie keep the car making continuous U-turns almost on the same spot, making many, many donuts until the engine dies down, tyres go botak? [bounce1]

Is it possible to pull handbrake hard and play the steering wheel etc to make multiple "handbrake turns" ie keep the car making continuous U-turns almost on the same spot, making many, many donuts until the engine dies down, tyres go botak? [bounce1]

老 大,啊得哥,

You came back just after drinking beer session ?

I read with nerve cracking.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

I think it's a fair statement. Probably 99% of drivers will be so stunned they don't know how to react. Myself included I think. If my car suddenly accelerate with no brakes, I don't think I will think of turning off the car in an instant.

Turn off may be even worst cause our car will wheel lock. Cannot even steer then.

Maybe road cars should also be equiped with a "KILL" button to kill the engine in case of such an emergency? This KILL button can be programmed to disengage the gearbox at the same time it kills the engine if the owner selects this option when he buys the car.

wah, you want the gbox to explode

izit? :o :o

The correct way is, put to Neutral and brakes to slow then hand braking, lastly off engine to examine car.

Turbocharged

老 大,啊得哥,

You came back just after drinking beer session ?

I read with nerve cracking.

I took taxi back, scared of road block.... [sweatdrop] [sweatdrop]

motorcycle has it - kill switch.

Maybe road cars should also be equiped with a "KILL" button to kill the engine in case of such an emergency? This KILL button can be programmed to disengage the gearbox at the same time it kills the engine if the owner selects this option when he buys the car.

Yup, say is easy, but when such incident happened, I wonder how many would be clam enough to react in split second to switch to Neutral. Normal people would be stunned for a few seconds, and that few seconds can already cause damage to property, cars etc..

Kanna before in an altis. Just depress brake and move to the side lor.

• Praise 1

Twincharged
(edited)

Kanna before in an altis. Just depress brake and move to the side lor.

Your speed is slow during that time? If your speed is fast, there maybe chances of brake fade, as the amount of heat generated during acceleration plus braking is very high. Once brake fade, the brake will lose it effectiveness..

I never encounter it before and hope it would not happen to me. Maybe some cars already have the brake override accelerator, meaning once brake is depressed, no amount of acceleration will work anymore. I don't know..

Edited by Yewheng
  • Praise 1