De-register an OPC cost anything?

Zyklon

I am trying to buy an old opc car for short term usage, like a few months to travel to Malaysia, I calculated that rental will probably cost 1k for the period I need. So I wonder if I can get something like this:

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=409498&DL=1000

Assume the coe paid was more than 17k (which I assume is for a car of 2004 registered), do I get back the normal parf that non-opc get?

Is there body rate for a car like this?

Will the scrap car dealer charge me anything for scrapping the car through them?

What about insurance, say I buy 1 year of insurance with Aviva, when the car is scrap 4 months later, do I get back the remaining?

Can opc be driven on Malaysia roads on weekdays afternoon?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

1) Parf value can calculate from one motoring webby

2) If LTA appointed scrapyard, value is 50-100, might wanna ask third party exporter.

3) Scrap they give u $$$$

4) Just send the documents that u had scrap ur car and they will refund u, some might deduct $90 for termination fee.

5) I heard in malaysia they don care about OPC, means if u nv buy coupon also nvm, but must go in custom from 7pm-7am lah.

I am trying to buy an old opc car for short term usage, like a few months to travel to Malaysia, I calculated that rental will probably cost 1k for the period I need. So I wonder if I can get something like this:

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=409498&DL=1000

Assume the coe paid was more than 17k (which I assume is for a car of 2004 registered), do I get back the normal parf that non-opc get?

Is there body rate for a car like this?

Will the scrap car dealer charge me anything for scrapping the car through them?

What about insurance, say I buy 1 year of insurance with Aviva, when the car is scrap 4 months later, do I get back the remaining?

Can opc be driven on Malaysia roads on weekdays afternoon?

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

don't forget to add the pro rated $17K to LTA.

looking at it, I think its safer to rent as I think the owner won't maintain this car since its going to the scrap yard and you are using it in MY.

• Praise 1

The only good thing I can think of this OPC scheme is....

buy a good quality ride preferably with manual tranny. At almost end of current coe period, convert to normal plate (and you only pay minimal conversion fees), then renew coe (with downward coe trend) for another 10 years since the PARF rebate for most B&B cars is not a large sum.

Then presto, you can drive for another 10 years with minimal outlay. Sweet spot PQP will be $20K and below. [thumbsup]

• Praise 2

buy a good quality ride preferably with manual tranny. At almost end of current coe period, convert to normal plate (and you only pay minimal conversion fees), then renew coe (with downward coe trend) for another 10 years since the PARF rebate for most B&B cars is not a large sum.

Then presto, you can drive for another 10 years with minimal outlay. Sweet spot PQP will be $20K and below. [thumbsup]

U might be wrong with your thinking.

Do you know that some sports car at 7years old & 10years old asking for the same deprecation?

Last time S15 asking $11k depreciation then 3 years later extend COE & asking $10k depreciations.

I worked out the sums, owner depreciate only $8k for 3 years.

• Praise 1

brother club21z has covered all of the things that you need to know...

Opc car can drive in msia on weekdays so long as you enter custom before 7am and return after 7pm..

From your question you are asking about scrapping car on the 4th month and i saw the car coe ends this year...driving for few months might not make sense to buy unless you take a car that has more life on it say 2 years as some of the brothers here has also adviced...

Also do take note that bank might not give you loan to purchase a car to drive for few months since the car coe going to expire soon

• Praise 1

brother club21z has covered all of the things that you need to know...

Opc car can drive in msia on weekdays so long as you enter custom before 7am and return after 7pm..

From your question you are asking about scrapping car on the 4th month and i saw the car coe ends this year...driving for few months might not make sense to buy unless you take a car that has more life on it say 2 years as some of the brothers here has also adviced...

Also do take note that bank might not give you loan to purchase a car to drive for few months since the car coe going to expire soon

The list price in that link is 6.7K. For someone who needs to take a bank loan for 6.7K, he really shouldn't be driving at all.

• Praise 2

I like this suggestion on OPC car and convert to normal car before renewal of COE.

Of course, taking into consideration of a better car than B&B type.

As a result, we need to pay the additional tier road tax for above 10yrs old car (10% more road tax each yr & cap at 150%).

What about insurance for car above 10yrs? Taking consideration of No loan outstanding

• Praise 1

opc or not, it has nothing to do with MY garment.

and one more thing, the insurance sum alone would be close to the rental. That is one big turn off if you ask me.

• Praise 1

the $20k PQP is a very very big if.

if COE levels are at $20k, many people would have turned to a new car anyway.

• Praise 1

(edited)

Oh yeah thats true also... totally overlooked that..

Thanks for bringing that up cos im scrapping one of my relative car, a 9 year old Sunny which is in good condition, full servicing records with Tan Chong for 9 years just did 80k major servicing in March, now changing to 7 seater cos family size grew so helping my relative with car selection, test drive and trade in, the new dealer who is selling us our car told us that we can only get back at the price that onemotoring quote us even if i were to sell to 2nd hand dealers, they wont pay me $100 more for my car cos its 9 years old and bank wont give loan... i totally forgot to shoot him back on that - as in if a person need to take loan for our old car, they shouldnt be driving...

Good point

The list price in that link is 6.7K. For someone who needs to take a bank loan for 6.7K, he really shouldn't be driving at all.

Edited by Meganut

Hi all, thank you for the replies, especially club21z.

Only need a car for malaysia travel for a couple of months, so no intention to get a car with more lifespan left.

Two more very noob questions:

1. Paying in cash, can I cash and carry it? I mean like, hand money to owner, transfer ownership immediately online, then go off...is this possible? Any future complications?

2. If I lose the car in malaysia, can I still come back to singapore, deregister it, and get back the parf?

Oh yeah thats true also... totally overlooked that..

Thanks for bringing that up cos im scrapping one of my relative car, a 9 year old Sunny which is in good condition, full servicing records with Tan Chong for 9 years just did 80k major servicing in March, now changing to 7 seater cos family size grew so helping my relative with car selection, test drive and trade in, the new dealer who is selling us our car told us that we can only get back at the price that onemotoring quote us even if i were to sell to 2nd hand dealers, they wont pay me $100 more for my car cos its 9 years old and bank wont give loan... i totally forgot to shoot him back on that - as in if a person need to take loan for our old car, they shouldnt be driving...

Good point

Your relative letting go at paper to dealer then?

Your relative letting go at paper to dealer then?

Most probably...

We have two friends interested and still considering to buy over offering us abt 1k more to help us cover the servicing and new tyres we bought last year, so nice of them, cos in the middle of next year at scrap still got quite a fair bit of money to be taken back

↡ Advertisement